How did you begin to study Persian?

Moderator:eskandar

Antea
How did you begin to study Persian?

Postby Antea » 2016-08-26, 15:59

Hi everybody! :D I'm very interested in learning Persian, that beautiful language, and I began last year on my own, with a textbook. Now that I'm somehow planning my language learning schedule for next year, I'm wondering how did you begin to study Persian. Did you began to study on your own? Or do you think it would be better to take some lessons with a teacher, say like 3 months, in order to get started in the best way? Was it very hard to achieve an A2 level? :hmm: I have to say that I've been studying Standard Arabic for some years, so learning the writing won't be a problem. I'd like to know your experiences about it :yep:

iodalach93

Re: How did you begin to study Persian?

Postby iodalach93 » 2016-08-26, 16:40

Hi Antea!

Welcome into our group of Persian-language lovers!

I was also very interested when I discovered, at the age of 17, that in Iran they speak a Indo-european language. I first learnt the alphabet (yet with some difficulties) and then I went onto learning some simple words, astonished by the amount of cognates with Italian and English. I first used Easy Persian to get acquainted with lexicon and some basic grammar, I suggest you have a look at it.

I think that reaching an A2 on your own is not hard at all, Persian has a very easy grammar (lots of compound verbs, no declensions, familiar structures and rules) and a pleasant pronunciation. Yet, if you choose to practice with a native speaker, it will do no harm!

iodalach93

Postby iodalach93 » 2016-08-26, 16:47

And yes, since you are already able to read Arabic, the alphabet won't be a problem. You will just have to keep in mind the small differences between them (such as the pronunciation of the emphatics, thaa', dhaal, qaaf, and the short vowels) and to remember the additional ones which Persian has.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-08-26, 17:13

Thank you! It's a very useful link :D . I started studying on my own some months ago. But I think that when you study with a teacher, even if it is just the basis of the language, it helps a lot to fix structures and pronunciation :hmm: . On the other hand, maybe it would be better to try to achieve an A2 level on my own, and save the money for more advanced lessons :hmm:

iodalach93

Postby iodalach93 » 2016-08-26, 18:18

Antea wrote:Thank you! It's a very useful link :D . I started studying on my own some months ago. But I think that when you study with a teacher, even if it is just the basis of the language, it helps a lot to fix structures and pronunciation :hmm: . On the other hand, maybe it would be better to try to achieve an A2 level on my own, and save the money for more advanced lessons :hmm:

خواهش می‌کنم :)

I think you should go for the latter. Saving money for middle-advanced lessons sounds right. If you had to learn the basics of English or, what can I say, Hungarian, I would be suggesting that you get a teacher as soon as possible. But Persian is more "domesticable" IMHO.

What's difficult in pronunciation, at least for me, is learning and remembering the difference between the two A sounds, learning to utter the خ sound (yet not that difficult for you, that's identical to Castilian jota) and learning the different ways of pronouncing ق/غ. Stress is stable on the last syllable, except for verbs and vocatives, so it's not really an issue.

I find structures surprisingly easy to fit into a Romance-language speaker's brain (adjectives come after nouns, the relative pronoun is "ke", "who?" translates as "ki?"). It may be hard to remember that the verb always goes at the end (unless you want to speak/write colloquial Tehrani) and that the plural suffixes is not used to generalise and after numerals.

I think you can do it on your own up to an A2 level, you might want to think about getting a private teacher later. Yet, the choice is yours, so see what's best for you :)

موفّق باشی!

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-08-26, 18:29

Thanks for your advice! Yes, I think that I can continue for some time studying on my own, trying to improve, and I could take a decision in January :yep:

iodalach93

Postby iodalach93 » 2016-08-26, 18:35

Good luck!

I would also like to recommend this online dictionary as a reference for pronunciation (as most of them do not write out short vowels) and this one for the vocabulary.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-08-26, 19:30

Thanks!

ahmadr75

Postby ahmadr75 » 2016-10-21, 8:07

cool :) i think it would be so much better if you use a teacher , how ever books are great help, and ofcourse they are lots of differences between persian formal and informal :)
any way i'm native persian if u have any question dont mention it :yep:

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”