Etymology of Sanskrit word 'Abhiseka'

Moderator:eskandar

etheory
Etymology of Sanskrit word 'Abhiseka'

Postby etheory » 2016-02-05, 18:47

Hello all.

I've recently come across information that suggests an interesting link between Sanskrit word 'abhiseka' and a phonetically similar sounding word from Dari language. The Dari word is unknown to me. Lack of a proper transliterator and dictionary to hop between Sanskrit/Hindi, Dari and the de-facto standard of internet - English, has brought me to this forum. I hope someone would be able to help me in my quest to establish my hypothesis.

Known fact:
'Abhishek' is a popular given name in amongst Hindus in India. The word is derived from Sanskrit word 'Abhiseka' that denotes a religious ceremony, particularly the one that is performed at coronation of a King.

Loosely established partial information:
Someone recently pointed out to me the existence of a similar sounding word in Dari. I also know that this word is a compound of the word 'Ab' (meaning 'water' in Dari) and another word (a verb) that means 'spray/infuse'. I assume the compound word means 'to spray water'.

Hypothesis:
Spraying holy water/oil has been referred to as an activity performed while religious ceremony 'Abhiseka'. The mysterious Dari word means 'to spray water'. Could there be a link between the two? I'm looking for the latter part of the compound word from Dari, its pronunciation and meaning.

Is anyone able to drop in any useful info? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”