Classical Persian from the Divan of Hafez: a query

Moderator:eskandar

agrarian
Classical Persian from the Divan of Hafez: a query

Postby agrarian » 2015-08-12, 3:26

I'm trying to puzzle out the grammar of the first couplet of Hafez's Divan, and I'm having trouble reducing a couple of words to their lexical roots. Can someone help me out? A dictionary form would be most helpful, and any grammatical aids you could offer.

ادر کاسا و ناولها

excerpted from this:

الا یا ایها الساقی ادر کاسا و ناولها

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Classical Persian from the Divan of Hafez: a query

Postby eskandar » 2015-08-12, 7:15

The first couplet is in Arabic, not Persian, so it's no wonder you're having trouble! A somewhat literal translation would be

O winebearer (الا یا ایها الساقی), pass round the cup (َادر کأسا) and [then] hand it overناولها)

By the way, the very last couplet from this ghazal is also in Arabic: متى ما تلق من تهوی دع الدنیا و اهملها (when you find the one you love, leave the world and abandon it.)
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

agrarian

Postby agrarian » 2015-08-12, 12:33

Thank you. That had occurred to me as a possibility, but I couldn't find a commentary anywhere that might confirm it. Do you know of one by chance?

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-08-12, 22:25

What kind of commentary are you looking for? It's among the most famous poems in Persian literature so there are many. This may be useful, or if you are looking for something that goes into greater depth, this PhD dissertation has a great section just on the opening couplet (chapter 2, beginning on p. 42). From it I learned that the couplet in question was repurposed from Yazid ibn Muawiya.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”