General discussion

Moderator:eskandar

Set
Re: General discussion

Postby Set » 2011-12-07, 20:41

eskandar wrote:'hata' is spelled حتی not حتا .

Actually I've seen this written as حتا in some books written by Iranians.
Native:[flag=]en[/flag] Good:[flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ca[/flag] Focusing on:[flag=]fa[/flag][flag=]ku[/flag][flag=]ps[/flag] Interested in:[flag=]zza[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag]

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2011-12-08, 1:22

It's an erroneous choice made by a few people who want to change Persian spelling. You won't find this spelling backed up in the Farhangestan or in any reputable dictionary.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Rémy LeBeau

Postby Rémy LeBeau » 2011-12-08, 12:43

Alif maqsura can be a headache. Sometimes it's retained and pronounced as ā (like حتی), sometimes it's retained and pronounced as ī (like لیلی), and sometimes the alif maqsura is changed to an alif (like معنا). There's no sort of rule to predict any of these changes as far as I can tell.

Dark Ash

Postby Dark Ash » 2011-12-31, 15:28

The "حتی" have A Little " ا " on " ی " :hmm:
HATA
Native language:Image
Dream of:ImageImageImage

jyo159

Postby jyo159 » 2012-02-07, 1:10

Rémy LeBeau wrote:Qaf and ghayn represent completely distinct sounds in Dari.

Yes, I was always fascinated by this. I expected this, of course, as the qaf and ghain are pronounced distinctly in words of Dari origin, by educated speakers of Hindi/Urdu.

Would it be considered wrong at all to use [q] for qaf in Farsi? So far I've been resisting it. :)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-03-20, 4:41

Happy Nowruz everyone :)
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2012-04-15, 18:43

Talks in Unilang's Facebook page took me back to the good old days I had here. Decided to log in after ages and say hello to all old and new members. Good luck with learning the most wonderful language out there hehe Sound snob? But if you had my language experience, I think you would agree. Again snob? OK. OK. I am :) All the best.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-04-15, 20:37

alijsh wrote:Talks in Unilang's Facebook page took me back to the good old days I had here. Decided to log in after ages and say hello to all old and new members. Good luck with learning the most wonderful language out there hehe Sound snob? But if you had my language experience, I think you would agree. Again snob? OK. OK. I am :) All the best.

Alijsh! Chetore? :mrgreen: Nice to see you on the forum.
अहिंसा/เจ

Set

Postby Set » 2012-08-10, 10:13

کنجکاوم چطور شما گوش دادن فارسی را درس می‌خوانین. من خودم خیلی مشکل دارم و علی رغم ساعت‌ها که من به رادیو یا تلویزیون گوش داده‌بودم هنوز قابلیتم به فهمیدن حروف گفته خیلی بهتر نشده‌است.

یک اقدام جدید که حالا می‌گیریم اینه که بخش‌های کوچک (بین ۲ و ۵ دقیقه) از یک فیلم قطع می‌کنم و آنها را بعنوان پرونده سمعی مکررا گوش می‌کنم. ولی نمی‌دانم اگر خوب باشه یا نه. و شما از کدام استراتژی‌ها استفاده می‌کنین؟
Native:[flag=]en[/flag] Good:[flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ca[/flag] Focusing on:[flag=]fa[/flag][flag=]ku[/flag][flag=]ps[/flag] Interested in:[flag=]zza[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag]

ludo

Postby ludo » 2012-08-12, 8:24

Salam Set,

Man khodam talosh mikonam har ruz be akhbar e BBC farsi negah konam.
Az su-ye digar az tshand ta serial e TV e irani kheili kosham miad...masalan "Kalantar" ya "shoqh e parvaz"

Fekr mikonam in ravesh e khubi e baraye taqhviat e zaban e farsi e khod

mo'afaqh bashi

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2012-08-16, 1:34

For improving listening skills, talking to native speakers is indispensable. If you don't have Persian-speaking friends/family/coworkers/etc. to interact with, I recommend finding some online through sites like Livemocha - there is really little that can be better than that. Also, I advise against learning Persian through BBC Persian, as their quality of language use is often poor. I frequently find typographical mistakes in their written articles, and in both their television as well as written news they often use English words awkwardly and at a much higher rate than is normal in Iran. You can get a much higher quality of language use from media based in Iran or other Persian-speaking countries.

ludo

Postby ludo » 2012-08-16, 6:26

eskandar wrote: You can get a much higher quality of language use from media based in Iran or other Persian-speaking countries.

Moteasefane ta hala shabake y e televizuni-e irani ke mesle BBC farsi ba Streaming pakhsh mishe peida na kardam

kodum yeki ra pishnehad mikonid?

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-08-16, 8:15

Iranian TV and radio channels are accessible online here:

http://live.irib.ir/

They broadcast a lot of documentaries which could be a good starting point. A few channels also have soap operas with English subtitles.

Oh, and talking about TV Series I highly recommend you to watch قهوه تلخ. The language used is somewhat more literary since the story is supposed to take place two centuries ago :)

RFI and Radio Farda have interesting podcasts too (they have a program called Radio Pas Farda which has the fastest and most idiomatic speech you will be able to hear outside of Iran). If you're interested in Dari you can watch Tolonews live on youtube.

You could also try to listen to an ebook. I have several of them, including Ali Mohammad Afghani's شوهر آهو خانم and Simin Daneshvar's سووشون :D

And if you have friends from towns like Shiraz and Esfahan don't forget to ask them to teach you the basics of their dialects too!

Set

Postby Set » 2012-08-16, 12:12

Thanks Ludo, Eskandar and Limagne for the responses and advice.

I have been watching BBC Persian news because the quality is so much better than other channels, but I'll start looking for other stuff again. I sometimes watch Manototv online, Eskandar, would you say this has the same problem as BBC Persian?

Limagne, where did you get the recording of Suvashun? I have the book so I could do the reading-listening thing, has anyone tried that? Did it work well?

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-08-16, 12:39

You can download it here :

http://audiolib.ir/cat-72.aspx

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-08-17, 3:11

Limagne wrote:
RFI and Radio Farda have interesting podcasts too (they have a program called Radio Pas Farda which has the fastest and most idiomatic speech you will be able to hear outside of Iran). If you're interested in Dari you can watch Tolonews live on youtube.

Thanks for these links Limagne, media from Iran is really hard to find here :( Where can I download or listen to the podcasts?
अहिंसा/เจ

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2012-08-17, 8:36

Iranian Serials and films can be downloaded from a myriad of websites, one of the best being http://www.iranproud.com
Not available

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2012-08-22, 5:52

Set wrote:I sometimes watch Manototv online, Eskandar, would you say this has the same problem as BBC Persian?
I don't really watch Manoto so I can't comment much on the quality of its Persian, though I think most stations based in diaspora are going to have similar problems to the ones I described with BBC Persian. Again, it's not that watching those stations is terrible, just that you will encounter mistakes, English-accented Persian, etc. and might internalize them, whereas if you want to learn to speak like a native, you'd be better off watching/listening to programming from Iran.

javed641

Postby javed641 » 2012-12-08, 15:18

Dear Brother
I am interested in learning Persian language , kindly help me in learning process. I have some hand written books of approx. 100 years old of my forefather in old Persian language. kindly help in this regard and translate me some article of that old in English or Urdu language.

regards

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-12-19, 19:38

Hasht-e sobh, an afghan daily newspaper written in dari has won the Reporters without Borders prize for press freedom.

The prize has been awarded by the French afghan writer Atiq Rahimi.

http://en.rsf.org/reporters-without-bor ... 43819.html

The winner in the media category, the Afghan daily 8Sobh, is living evidence that freely-reported quality journalism can develop in the most difficult corners of the planet.

8Sobh (http://www.8am.af) is a Kabul-based daily that was founded in May 2007 by a number of well-known journalists and media freedom activists. Edited by Sanjar Sohail, who is also its owner, it publishes news reports and analyses on all the major topics that concern Afghans, including democracy, human rights and political developments. Its stories are covered objectively with the aim not only of providing balanced and independently reported information but also with the aim of promoting democratization and the development of a state that guarantees free speech and media freedom. It is the only Afghan newspaper that is distributed in six provinces – Kabul, the northern province of Balkh, the eastern province of Nangarhar, the western province of Herat, the central province of Bamyan and the southern province of Ghazni.

Because it is secularist and tries to provide neutral and objective coverage, both the Taliban and the authorities harass it. “For us and our readers, this prize honours and encourages a free press in Afghanistan,” Sohail said. “Our still young press faces many challenges but we are convinced that it is thanks to consciousness-raising and to courageous, professional reporting by journalists that the Afghan government and state will become more responsible, more transparent and above all more democratic.”

I'm very glad for them. Their website is a gem for all of us Persian learners who are interested in today's Afghanistan.

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”