Short questions

Moderator:eskandar

buman
Re: Short questions

Postby buman » 2016-02-13, 13:10

Bravo pour ton excellent francais Mehrdad, et merci beaucoup pour ta reponse qui m'a immediatement aide.

One important thing: thanks to you I discovered that the quality of the computer speakers you will be listening words from Farvo.com (or from any other site) is vital. Reading your answer I listened again to the word and there I was hearing an R like in "ravi" because I am using a different computer and a headphone this time!

Encore merci pour ton aide Mehrdad.

Oliver

Hadronic

Postby Hadronic » 2016-02-15, 1:23

Hello,
I have some questions on Persian. Could you please tell me if all the below sentences are correct ?

1. Place of the adverb in a noun+adj construction.

A good boy:
پسرِ جوب pesar-e xub
پسری خوب pesar-i xub
پسرِ جوبی pesar-e xub-i

A very good boy:
پسرِ جیلی جوب pesar-e xeyli xub
پسری جیلی خوب pesar-i xeyli xub
پسرِ جیلی جوبی pesar-e xeyli xub-i

When used predicatively (he is a good boy), I read that xeyli must come before the whole noun+adj phrase?

He is a good boy :
او پسرِ جوب است u pesar-e xub ast
او پسری خوب است u pesar-i xub ast
او پسرِ جوبیست u pesar-e xub-i-st

He is a very good boy:
او پسرِ جیلی جوب است u pesar-e xeyli xub ast
او پسری جیلی خوب ست u pesar-i xeyli xub ast
او پسرِ جیلی جوبیست u pesar-e xeyli xub-i-st

Or ?
او جیلی پسرِ جوب است u xeyli pesar-e xub ast
او جیلی پسری خوب ست u xeyli pesar-i xub ast
او جیلی پسرِ جوبیست u xeyli pesar-e xub-i-st

2. "you are" + indefinite ی
If I want to say "you are a good boy", do I have to stack two ی, one for the indefinite and the other for the "you are" part? U pesar-e xub-i-st --> to pesar-e xub-i-i
تو پسرِ خوبی‌ای / خوبی‌یی؟

Thank you!
(fr) native, (en) fluent, (he) advanced, (nv) learning

krzy5762

Postby krzy5762 » 2016-02-15, 21:45

Can anybody help me with the sentence : "سلام ماریا. دوست من آرش حکمت جو"
I know that سلام ماریا means 'hello Maria"
دوست is friend
من I
and آرش is Oresz
but I don't understand what does حکمت جو mean.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2016-03-01, 22:09

دوست من = my friend
حکمت جو is a surname, Hekmatjoo (in Polish orthography it might look something like Hekmatdżu).
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

venelinvy

Postby venelinvy » 2016-03-07, 7:20

Hi, I wanted to translate something into informal Farsi, and this is more or less what I got:

هی من فقط می خواستم بگم که من متاسفم برای همه که اتفاق افتاده هستم، و من می خواستم به شما اجازه می دانم که شما بهترین ها شخص من تا به حال ملاقات ... من امیدوارم که شما باید بهترین هفته همیشه.

Haha it's kind of personal, so please do not judge me :3 but in all seriousness, if I wanted to make this informal "you", what would I have to say?? Thank you in advance :)

Mehrdad

Postby Mehrdad » 2016-03-07, 12:16

venelinvy wrote:هی من فقط می خواستم بگم که من متاسفم برای همه که اتفاق افتاده هستم، و من می خواستم به شما اجازه می دانم که شما بهترین ها شخص من تا به حال ملاقات ... من امیدوارم که شما باید بهترین هفته همیشه.

Is that what you mean?

I just wanted to say that I'm (was) sorry for all that happened & I wanted you to know that you're the best guy/person I've ever met in my life.
wish you the best weeks

=
من فقط می خواستم بگم برای همه ی آنچه که اتفاق افتاده متاسفم و می خواستم بدانی که تو بهترین شخصی هستی که تا به حال تو عمرم ملاقات کردم
برات بهترین هفته ها را آرزو می کنم

Celina

Postby Celina » 2016-03-08, 6:56

Hello, could you please help me to understand what is actually written on these peace of papers. I tried to search for each word but the problem is that I don't get this handwriting at all and my farsi is not that good that I could make assumptions for each word. You guys would help me a lot.
Last edited by Celina on 2016-03-09, 7:10, edited 1 time in total.

Mehrdad

Postby Mehrdad » 2016-03-08, 18:56

Ha Ha Ha!
They're some kind of spell or magic popular in eastern countries like Iran and are used by superstitious people!
On the first one I can read : "Pray for Love & Kindness of Miss/Mrs Halime."
They write prayers & put them in somebody's house to make him/her fall in love with somebody else!
& On the second: Evolvement(Opening) in Works & (from) Bad Eye " (Bad Eye=Evil Eye)

Don't you worry much about these things.

venelinvy

Postby venelinvy » 2016-03-09, 2:36

Mehrdad wrote:
venelinvy wrote:هی من فقط می خواستم بگم که من متاسفم برای همه که اتفاق افتاده هستم، و من می خواستم به شما اجازه می دانم که شما بهترین ها شخص من تا به حال ملاقات ... من امیدوارم که شما باید بهترین هفته همیشه.

Is that what you mean?

I just wanted to say that I'm (was) sorry for all that happened & I wanted you to know that you're the best guy/person I've ever met in my life.
wish you the best weeks

=
من فقط می خواستم بگم برای همه ی آنچه که اتفاق افتاده متاسفم و می خواستم بدانی که تو بهترین شخصی هستی که تا به حال تو عمرم ملاقات کردم
برات بهترین هفته ها را آرزو می کنم

Yeah, thank you so much!! :) :o

Celina

Postby Celina » 2016-03-09, 7:13

Mehrdad wrote:Ha Ha Ha!
They're some kind of spell or magic popular in eastern countries like Iran and are used by superstitious people!
On the first one I can read : "Pray for Love & Kindness of Miss/Mrs Halime."
They write prayers & put them in somebody's house to make him/her fall in love with somebody else!
& On the second: Evolvement(Opening) in Works & (from) Bad Eye " (Bad Eye=Evil Eye)

Don't you worry much about these things.

Merci ❤️ That helped a lot.

krzy5762

Postby krzy5762 » 2016-03-12, 0:51

eskandar wrote:دوست من = my friend
حکمت جو is a surname, Hekmatjoo (in Polish orthography it might look something like Hekmatdżu).

Thank you a lot. It is so dificult to find some persian words on the internet and in my book some words aren't translated. And your polish transcription is correct . Well done :D .

zahra123

Postby zahra123 » 2016-03-20, 17:29

Hi
I am reading some letters. The writer refers to his friend's letter as 'navaz nameh'. Does this mean something specific? Or does it just mean letter of affection?

Thanks!

Zahra

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2016-05-11, 12:38

Hello! :)

I tried to translate "How do I download emojis on my cell phone?" into Persian. Is this correct or do I have mistakes?

چگونه می‌توانم اموجی‌های به موبایلم دانلود بکنم؟

Thank you
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Mehrdad

Postby Mehrdad » 2016-05-17, 5:59

Elaine wrote:Hello! :)

I tried to translate "How do I download emojis on my cell phone?" into Persian. Is this correct or do I have mistakes?

چگونه می‌توانم اموجی‌های به موبایلم دانلود بکنم؟

Thank you

چگونه اموجی‌ها را در موبایلم دانلود کنم؟

Hi ,
چگونه می توانم ... = how can I

Zahra.shah123

Postby Zahra.shah123 » 2016-05-20, 21:00

Hi! I have a bit of a problem translating this book title into English.

Bayaz-i Shauq Payam

I can only think of Delightful/Interesting Notebook of Messages

But that does not sound right. Would appreciate any suggestions!

LondonA1

Re: A question about an expression

Postby LondonA1 » 2016-05-31, 4:16

idanrm wrote:Hi there,

My question is: Is اگه يه روز the colloquial form of اگر یک روز ?

thank you!

Correct! As in "Age ye rooz, beri safar, beri ze pisham bikhabar" right? :)))))

LondonA1

Postby LondonA1 » 2016-05-31, 4:23

Hadronic wrote:Hello,
I have some questions on Persian. Could you please tell me if all the below sentences are correct ?

1. Place of the adverb in a noun+adj construction.

A good boy:
پسرِ جوب pesar-e xub
پسری خوب pesar-i xub
پسرِ جوبی pesar-e xub-i

A very good boy:
پسرِ جیلی جوب pesar-e xeyli xub
پسری جیلی خوب pesar-i xeyli xub
پسرِ جیلی جوبی pesar-e xeyli xub-i

When used predicatively (he is a good boy), I read that xeyli must come before the whole noun+adj phrase?

He is a good boy :
او پسرِ جوب است u pesar-e xub ast
او پسری خوب است u pesar-i xub ast
او پسرِ جوبیست u pesar-e xub-i-st

He is a very good boy:
او پسرِ جیلی جوب است u pesar-e xeyli xub ast
او پسری جیلی خوب ست u pesar-i xeyli xub ast
او پسرِ جیلی جوبیست u pesar-e xeyli xub-i-st

Or ?
او جیلی پسرِ جوب است u xeyli pesar-e xub ast
او جیلی پسری خوب ست u xeyli pesar-i xub ast
او جیلی پسرِ جوبیست u xeyli pesar-e xub-i-st

2. "you are" + indefinite ی
If I want to say "you are a good boy", do I have to stack two ی, one for the indefinite and the other for the "you are" part? U pesar-e xub-i-st --> to pesar-e xub-i-i
تو پسرِ خوبی‌ای / خوبی‌یی؟

Thank you!

Unfortunately there's no short answer to this!!

In essence, yes- U pesare kheili khubist is the correct form, and you should stick to that one, but often native speakers use the form U kheili pesare khubist because that order adds even more emphasis to the "Khub" part. Persian is evolving far quicker than most languages I keep track of and these small changes can be confusing.

One piece of advice for free (!) - most speakers don't use the "U" at all. Again, although it's correct, it simply sounds like you're saying "HE is a good boy" as if others aren't good. "Kheili pesare khubist" is what a native would say when everyone knows which "boy" you're referring to.

LondonA1

Postby LondonA1 » 2016-05-31, 4:43

alijsh wrote:
eskandar wrote:The only ones I can think of that I've heard in colloquial Persian are taraf > do tarafeyn > atrâf or hâl > ahvâl(-e shomâ). Oh, and sabab > asbâb, as in the wonderful expression "in ke asbâb-e khejâlat shod!"

As you see, the plural form has an extended meaning so that it cannot be considered as the plural form of the singular noun. It is distinct. atrâf means "surrounding" whereas taraf means "direction", ŝarâyet means "circumstances" whereas its singular is not used in Persian, ettelâât means "information" and so on.

"asbâb" is rather old-fashioned in that expression. Use "bâes" instead: bâes e zahmat, xejâlat, ŝarmandegi, ... ŝod

Eh?! Shart isn't used in Persian? Where did you get that gem from?! Kudos for knowing the language at a level above most learners, but you're making a few generalisations. Lots of Arabic plurals are still used in modern Persian without the distinction you suggest; the only difference is whether one is around people who have a solid education or not- my father once told me off for not saying horuf in place of harfha, which to him sounded crude. What about daily, basic words like sabzijaat? There are tons of daily usage Arabic plurals which don't fit the trend you describe- especially in the actual business of life where law courts, utility bills, bank accounts are concerned.

LondonA1

Postby LondonA1 » 2016-05-31, 5:13

Limagne wrote:
Michael wrote:OK then, disregard what I said. :P I have a question myself. I used Thackston's An Introduction to Persian as a raw beginner, and he did vaguely explain how to make "than" comparisons with از and تا, but I'm still confused as to when to use which prepositions.

تا is used when the object of the comparison is governed by a preposition.

کتاب های بهتر به من داد تا به او
He gave better books to me than to him

به او بیشتر اعتماد می کند تا به من
He trusts him more than me

او از عنکبوت بیشتر می ترسد تا از سوسک
He's more afraid of spiders than cockroaches

These forms are quite old fashioned and sound a little silly. It's like when you hear your grandmother says stuff like "I understand the problem better than he" instead of "than he does".

Most Iranians simply go for the shortest sentence possible: "behtarin ketābha ro be man dād" - he give the best books to me.

"Than" sentences aren't difficult: "Tehran az Esfahan bozorgtar ast": Tehran is bigger than Esfahan. "Maryam az hame bishtar in ketāb ro dust dārad ": Maryam likes this book more than all the others (az hame bishtar means "this ____ more than any other____). "az digarān dirtar āmadam": I arrived later than the others.

LondonA1

Postby LondonA1 » 2016-05-31, 5:22

eskandar wrote:I agree with Oliver above - no need to refrain from explaining, your contributions can be very helpful for other learners and even if you're wrong, it provokes discussion and can be a learning exercise for you as well (such as in this case). Your use of the word 'indigenous' was not offensive, I just put it in scare quotes because I'm wary about what it connotes for Persian-- it's a complicated matter because we have words of originally Iranic origin that were 'Arabicized' (معرب) like فیل, from پیل , not to mention Persian words coined from Arabic roots which do not themselves exist in Arabic, or whose use differs significantly from how they're used in Arabic, and so on, all of which complicate the issue of what should be counted as indigenous or not. But that's neither here nor there. :) Anyway, الحاصل (as we'd say in literary Persian, using an Arabic word with its definite article!) you have now correctly understood that idioms containing Arabic-origin words like قلع و قمع are not exceptions; they're treated the same as any other.

Actually I think the choice of your prose initiated his fears regarding offending others. "It has nothing to do with..." is a very harsh choice of words in spoken or written English. Any native English speaker would read that as a condemnatory or censorious phrase, regardless of their level of education; everybody knows "It's got nothing to do with..." is an offensive way to respond to a question.

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”