Persian films and TV series

Moderator:eskandar

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2008-01-27, 5:47

I'll look into those titles.
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Shannenms

Postby Shannenms » 2008-01-27, 22:30

Has anyone seen Persepolis?
نه عجب گر فرو رود نفسش.... عندلیبی غراب همقفسش

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2008-01-28, 5:29

Shannenms wrote:The movies I have seen recently:1-Gole yakh...

You mean that cheap copy of the popular pre-revolution film soltâne ghalbhâ

Shannenms

Postby Shannenms » 2008-01-28, 21:36

alijsh wrote:
Shannenms wrote:The movies I have seen recently:1-Gole yakh...

You mean that cheap copy of the popular pre-revolution film soltâne ghalbhâ

That's not exactly a copy of Soltane ghalbha. Yes.
نه عجب گر فرو رود نفسش.... عندلیبی غراب همقفسش

Meera

Re: Persian films and TV series

Postby Meera » 2009-03-15, 22:33

Majboor (Afghan Film w/ English Subtitles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB3TvLgJQG4

Bacheha-Ye aseman (iranian film w/ english subtitles)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7vYn6PHgUs

kalemiye

Re:

Postby kalemiye » 2009-03-18, 20:25

Shannenms wrote:Has anyone seen Persepolis?

Yes, I've seen it, but its original language French, not Persian. Personally, I liked it, although I prefer the comic for many reasons, specially because the story makes more sense, since it is more complete.

I read it in Turkish and I was surprised that in the translation they preserve the dialogue in which the main character basically tells to their parents that travelling to Turkey is a total waste of time, that is better to go to France, etc, instead haha :lol:. Some student association is going to play the movie in my university.
Not available

Meera

Re: Re:

Postby Meera » 2009-03-19, 18:44

renata wrote:

Yes, I've seen it, but its original language French, not Persian. Personally, I liked it, although I prefer the comic for many reasons, specially because the story makes more sense, since it is more complete.

I read it in Turkish and I was surprised that in the translation they preserve the dialogue in which the main character basically tells to their parents that travelling to Turkey is a total waste of time, that is better to go to France, etc, instead haha :lol:. Some student association is going to play the movie in my university.

i read the book (or comic?) but i never saw the movie. I want to see it though.

kalemiye

Re: Re:

Postby kalemiye » 2009-03-20, 0:30

Meera wrote:
renata wrote:

i read the book (or comic?) but i never saw the movie. I want to see it though.

Yes, seeing the animation is nice, because it basically highlights the most important parts of the story. Yet, reading the comic book is a must.
Not available

jolbak

Postby jolbak » 2009-08-18, 7:13

hey guys :)

I've been wondering if anyone knows where I can find an English subtitle for a movie like atashbas?

Mert

Postby Mert » 2009-09-11, 19:45

I watched Persepolis. Its topic is related to the effects of the Islamic revolution to Iranians. The film was shot as cartoon. I can say it is the best one that I have ever seen. So, have you seen it before?

By the way, our state broadcast union TRT made an agreement with Iran tv for Iran tv series last year, but I haven't seen any Iranian film or serie except for Korean ones so far. :)
ه ه
ل
پ

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2009-09-12, 10:50

Mert wrote:I watched Persepolis. Its topic is related to the effects of the Islamic revolution to Iranians. The film was shot as cartoon. I can say it is the best one that I have ever seen. So, have you seen it before?

By the way, our state broadcast union TRT made an agreement with Iran tv for Iran tv series last year, but I haven't seen any Iranian film or serie except for Korean ones so far. :)

Persepolis is banned in Iran, so is the comic book in which it is based. I bought the comic book in Turkey, and I recommend it to you, the translation into Turkish is very good I think. I payed around 25-30 TL for it, but it was totally worth it. There is also another comic book written by this author named 'Dıkış Nakış' which is about Iranian women discussing their sex-lives, haha. It's very fun, but short,I payed 8TL for it in Ankara.

You can watch Iranian TV through satellite (and not only Iranian TV, but channels in Persian broadcasting from outside of Iran), I am one hundred percent you can because I know of people that can watch Iranian TV in Ankara (it was not my case though, but I know for sure you can). However, the most successful TV series in Iran are Korean (but dubbed into Persian). The most popular one at the moment is named Jumong.
Not available

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2009-09-12, 15:26

kalemiye wrote:Persepolis is banned in Iran, so is the comic book in which it is based.

As for the film, it is available unofficially :wink: The book must also be available online.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2009-09-12, 21:49

alijsh wrote:
kalemiye wrote:Persepolis is banned in Iran, so is the comic book in which it is based.

As for the film, it is available unofficially :wink: The book must also be available online.

Have you seen the film and/or read the book? What do you think about it? :)
Not available

Rémy LeBeau

Postby Rémy LeBeau » 2009-09-12, 22:36

I used to watch the show همه بچه های من which I thought was quite nice, the main character was quirky in a cool way. I watched a few episodes of اشکها و لبخندها too which was pretty funny, I want to get around to watching all of the series sometime.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2009-09-13, 5:07

kalemiye wrote:Have you seen the film and/or read the book? What do you think about it? :)

My cousin had brought it for me along with some other films but browsing the film to see if it is worth watching, it didn't catch me and I deleted it 8-) The only one I watched was «Big Fish» by Tim Burton. I don't know exactly what the subject of Persepolis is but it must be second-hand for me as an Iranian.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2009-09-13, 8:33

alijsh wrote:
kalemiye wrote:Have you seen the film and/or read the book? What do you think about it? :)

My cousin had brought it for me along with some other films but browsing the film to see if it is worth watching, it didn't catch me and I deleted it 8-) The only one I watched was «Big Fish» by Tim Burton. I don't know exactly what the subject of Persepolis is but it must be second-hand for me as an Iranian.

The subject of Persepolis is the life of Marjane Satrapi. She is a kid in late Shah's times, and then She lives revolution and war, only to be sent to Austria by her parents, and then returning to Tehran, and then leaving for France to study Fine Arts, never to come back to Iran.

The movie is not a good as the book, which I recommend to you. I think there will be parts of the story you will relate to, and some others (most of them) you won't. I made my Iranian friends watch the movie with me, since I wanted to know their opinion, and they were very sceptical about it... but then they watched it and related to the parts of the story which take place in Iran, specially to war times.

Satrapi's parents had leftist ideas, and her uncle Anush, a known communist, is executed right after revolution. She has no nice words for Shah's regime, nor to the Islamic Republic; but the story is not a critique to these political systems (well, it can be critical, but it is only the backgrund of the story), but the life of normal middle-class people in Tehran/Iran.
Not available

Gaile Irene

Postby Gaile Irene » 2009-12-07, 3:44

A new documentary, BAKHTIARI ALPHABET, takes the viewer to see the biannual migration of the Bakhtiari tribespeople of southwestern Iran. The difficult journey, involving moving whole families and all their livestock, over mountains and numerous streams and rivers, gives an understanding of a traditional way of life extending back centuries. The producer-director Dr. Cima Sedigh is a professor of education at Connecticut's Sacred Heart University (USA). She describes how tradition meets civilization in the education system. The children of the tribe are taught outdoors in nature or at dormitory boarding schools. Their lessons include learning about the mysteries of the city, including traffic signs and buses, although the children have little use for such knowledge. The children's real education occurs in the tribe, where they learn how to take care of their sheep, goats and chickens and how to live in harmony with nature. Ms. Sedigh points out that formal education system could be improved by teaching children information that would be better applicable to their real lives.

More information on the film, including clips, is at http://www.bakhtiarialphabet.com. For an excellent overview of the Bakhtiari migration, including many photographs, see London's School of Oriental and African Studies website at http://www.soas.ac.uk/gallery/bakhtiari-kuch.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2009-12-07, 12:17

Gaile Irene wrote:A new documentary, BAKHTIARI ALPHABET, takes the viewer to see the biannual migration of the Bakhtiari tribespeople of southwestern Iran. The difficult journey, involving moving whole families and all their livestock, over mountains and numerous streams and rivers, gives an understanding of a traditional way of life extending back centuries. The producer-director Dr. Cima Sedigh is a professor of education at Connecticut's Sacred Heart University (USA). She describes how tradition meets civilization in the education system. The children of the tribe are taught outdoors in nature or at dormitory boarding schools. Their lessons include learning about the mysteries of the city, including traffic signs and buses, although the children have little use for such knowledge. The children's real education occurs in the tribe, where they learn how to take care of their sheep, goats and chickens and how to live in harmony with nature. Ms. Sedigh points out that formal education system could be improved by teaching children information that would be better applicable to their real lives.

More information on the film, including clips, is at http://www.bakhtiarialphabet.com. For an excellent overview of the Bakhtiari migration, including many photographs, see London's School of Oriental and African Studies website at http://www.soas.ac.uk/gallery/bakhtiari-kuch.

Wow its very interesting, do you know from where this documentary can be downloaded?
Not available

Gaile Irene

Postby Gaile Irene » 2009-12-08, 2:14

I saw BAKHTIARI ALPHABET last Friday at Rosemont College, a Catholic college located just outside Philadelphia. Cima Sedigh gave a presentation beforehand about the Bakhtiari and described some of the difficulties she encountered in making the film. I do not know where you can watch the movie online yet - other than the clips available at the film's website.

You can see another complete movie about the Bakhtiari migration online. THE GRASS, dating from 1925, describes the tribe's incredibly difficult journey across the Karun River and the icy, snow-covered Zardeh Kuh in the pursuit of grass to feed their livestock. Go to Google Videos and search for "Bakhtiari".

A third movie PEOPLE OF THE WIND, from the 1970's, covers a similar topic. One website describing the movie is http://www.milestonefilms.com/pdf/PeopleOfWindPK.pdf. I don't know if the movie has been uploaded to the internet yet.

Given the extensive film exposure of the Bakhtiari, I wonder if perhaps one day their traditional lifestyle might attract tourists. Some enterprising Bakhtiari could offer a $6,995 per person adventure trekking package - complete with mule transportation, open air accommodations, lessons in goat milking, butter making, fire tending, etc. - the unique outdoor nature experience!

Gaile Irene

Postby Gaile Irene » 2009-12-27, 15:20

Available for viewing online is a movie called باد صبا translated as "Lover's Wind" (1970/1978). For this travelogue, shot mostly from helicopter, the French filmmaker Albert Lamorisse created an aerial story of IRAN'S TOPOGRAPHY, PEOPLES, and HISTORY, as told by the narrator, a WANDERING WIND. After Lamorisse had completed filming, the Shah of Iran who had commissioned the film, wished him to add scenes showing the more modern aspects of the country. Accordingly, Lamorisse went back to filming. Because his original pilot was no longer available, the filmmaker used an Iranian army helicopter and pilot - the copter crashed while they were filming at the Karaj Dam in 1970. The movie was completed posthumously (after his death) in 1978.

The movie can be watched either in English or in Persian (Farsi) at
http://www.ubu.com/film/lamorisse.html

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”