Forum guidelines & suggestions

Moderator:eskandar

alijsh
Forum guidelines & suggestions

Postby alijsh » 2007-01-30, 14:03

As of 17-Aug-2007, I haven't written about forum guidelines but today, I decided to write about it and place it in the starting post:

There are general rules that I think almost everybody knows (e.g. exercise common sense and be considerate toward your fellow users. Insults and "flaming" are not tolerated) so I don't need to go into depth about this.

#1 - Please follow a "one thread per topic" policy and create a new thread for every question you have. This policy, in particular, facilitates the members' ability to find the information they are looking for with the greatest ease.

NOTE - We previously had threads where we could ask several questions (e.g. General Questions thread, What's the Persian for this word/sentence/idiom/etc., What's the meaning of this Persian word/sentence/idiom/etc.) but please don't post new questions to these threads anymore. I'll move any posted question to a new thread. So please follow this new rule and lessen my work.

Changed at 2009-March-12: If your question would take a post or two to be answered, please post it in this thread. If the question turned out to be further discussable, I'll then move it to a new topic.

#2 - A question is a question. There is no such thing as a basic, etc. question. For instance, in another thread, Poppy said "hello, back with another of my basic questions". Please don't think of it like this or say anything like this. All questions are welcome and worth asking!

#3 - Please ask as many questions as you need to and don't feel embarrassed. For instance, in another thread, Psi-Lord said "I've been asking so many questions lately it's even a bit embarrassing". Please don't think of it like this or say anything like this.

#4 - All members can have a "Personal thread" where s/he can practice her/his Persian. You can write about whatever you like. Instead of English, you can also have your "Personal thread" in your native language. Personally, I can only manage and thus participate in English, French, German, Spanish, and Italian (not so good with writing in the last three, though).

#5 - I keep a categorized list of threads in this thread: List of contents. Before posting your question, please take a look at it to make sure you're not going to ask a question that has already been asked and answered. Thanks in advance! I won't maintain this list any longer.

#6 If you have any questions about a certain dialect of Persian, please post it in a new thread and prefix the dialect's name to the name of the thread.

#6.1 You can use AP for "Afghanistani Persian (aka Dari)" and TP for "Tajikistani Persian (aka Tajik)". e.g. "AP: window"

#6.2 You can certainly ask questions about the dialect of a certain city or region e.g. "Birjandi: future tenses", "Harâti: x".

As for writing in the Persian script, please read this thread: How to write in the Persian script

If you have any general comments, questions or concerns about the forum, please post them here.

- My special thanks to Sisyphe :flowers: for proofreading this post. I wouldn't want to have mistakes in this post.
Last edited by alijsh on 2008-01-28, 7:35, edited 12 times in total.

alijsh

Re: Suggestions

Postby alijsh » 2007-01-30, 14:05

Roshanak suggested
Can some of these 'general' threads that will likely be used often be made 'sticky'?

What do you think about it? If you agree then which threads do you suggest?

roshanak

Postby roshanak » 2007-02-05, 8:18

Well, I think the three main important ones are: What's the Persian for this, What's the meaning of this Persian word, and General Questions.

Then, if you want to do more, my suggestions would be: Resources for Persian, and maybe Who's Here as an introduction thread for newcomers.

That's my two bob. :wink:
لطفاً، اشتباه های مرا صحیح بکنید
Te rog să corectezi mesajul meu.
Ihr könnt mich gern berichtigen.
Por favor corrijan mis errores.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-02-08, 9:18

Thank Roshanak! I have stickened "Resources for Persian" and "newcomers".

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-02-08, 14:15

Some of our members have works on Persian: Pizquita, Roshanak, Peterlin, myself. What do you think of creating a thread named "Member works" (or whatever name you suggest)?

Pizquita

Postby Pizquita » 2007-02-10, 3:25

mmmm... that's a great idea, but what is it about? Well, It's rather stupid question of mine but... :oops:

shab bekheir
Ayer es historia, mañana un misterio, hoy es presente y presente es un regalo.

Diruz târix ast, fardâ yek râz, emruz inak ast va ân yek muhebat

دیروز تاریخ است، فردا یک راز، امروز اینک است و آن یک موهبت

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-02-10, 8:06

We can certainly mention our works anywhere in the forum but I'd like to have a distinct thread for them. Maybe this is my idea which is stupid.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-03-19, 17:27

roshanak wrote:Well, I think the three main important ones are: What's the Persian for this, What's the meaning of this Persian word, and General Questions.

On second thoughts and seeing other forums, I resolved that it's good to have separate thread for each/related translation/s . Writing all of them in one thread results in having lengthy multi-page threads that's not good in my opinion: Searching for a certain word is difficult, etc. This way, I think we have order and classification. What do you think?

Boself

Postby Boself » 2007-03-19, 20:18

If you use one thread for translations you have the problem of a huge multi-paged thread, as you said.
But starting a thread for each translation-problem individually is also problematic: older threads get shifted to the back of the list (due to inactivity) which means you'll have the same translation asked for, several times, because people won't bother searching the right thread.

A middle course might be this modus operandi: People start new threads for new translation problems, but we keep a sticky-thread at the top of the threadlist that get's updated frequently. In this sticky thread you can put links to the various translation-threads categorized by theme, like this:

Translations
love theme:
I love you >link to thread
Will you marry me? >link to thread
family theme:
I have x brothers and x sisters >link to thread
Do you live in a detached house or in a flat? >link to thread

You get the idea ;)

It would probably mean a lot of maintenance for you aljish, but I think it would be very handy, once a lot of translations have been made in the subforum, we (well not I :)) would be building our own library!

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-03-19, 20:30

Thanks dear Boself! You're right.

We have the sticky thread Classified list of threads and I think we can use it for this purpose.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-06-07, 4:11

What do you think of starting threads to teach some Persian with a Latin-based alphabet? I find the interactive nature of forums very useful. We write a lesson in each thread and people having question on a certain lesson, can post it in its related thread.

I have made no decision yet. It's just an idea that came to my mind and I like to know your opinion about it.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2007-06-07, 16:26

Personally, I only use the Latin script out of convenience (chatting) or when I'm not in the mood to peck at my keys until I get the right one and then repeat. :? If there are learners that have no desire to learn how to read, or feel that it is unnecessary at the moment, then this is the only instance that I would create Latinized lessons. Otherwise, I think you are really shooting yourself in the foot if you ignore the script from day one. :yep:
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-06-08, 4:11

Thanks Sisyphe. Well, I don't mean to teach Persian but to give them the possibility to taste Persian without being needed to learn its script. Then, if they found it interesting they can go and learn it the right way from easypersian or available books.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-08-17, 16:25

I have added some rules and help to the starting post. Please read it. Thanks in advance!

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2008-01-21, 5:18

#6 was added as well as the link to the thread "How to write in Persian script".

alijsh

Re: Forum guidelines & suggestions

Postby alijsh » 2008-11-17, 9:34

Thanks to a new feature of the forum's editor, you can enclose the Persian texts in "fa" tag (select your text and then click on "fa" button) and the text is automatically rendered with a large font size. The default font for Persian also becomes "XB Zar" that you can download from here (see its sample here).

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2009-06-10, 10:39

تشکر می کنم۔
Not available

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2010-01-09, 9:19

I just remembered to mention the following guide for our recent members that might have missed it:

Firefox users can customize the display font of Persian texts using Stylish. Please follow these posts.

The style I currently use:

Code: Select all

.post, .content, blockquote, .signature, .notice, p.author, #message, .topictitle {
   font-family: tahoma, "arial unicode ms", sans-serif !important;
   font-size: 13px !important;
   line-height: 1.3 !important;
}

dl.codebox code { font-size: 100% !important; }

a.topictitle { font-weight: normal !important; }

And for Persian Wikipedia:

Code: Select all

body { font-family: tahoma, "segoe ui", "arial unicode ms", sans-serif !important; }
#globalWrapper { font-size: 13px !important; }

ati

Postby ati » 2010-05-29, 0:44

xâhe$ mî konæm
esimow milastin kâr diyamow

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”