Kurdish Discussion Group

Moderator:voron

Set
Re: Kurdish Discussion Group

Postby Set » 2012-10-02, 15:57

adventrue wrote:Yes, Kurds from Duhok, Zakho, Aqreh, Amedîye, speak Kirmanci.
They sometimes call it Behdeninî like the area.
I did not hear of Hewlêr (arbil) as a mixed city, although as the capital of course it attracts people from other regions.

Ah, I might be getting confused with the KDP/PUK split actually. I was kind of surprised that they couldn't speak Kurmancî at all though, although I know they're very different.
Native:[flag=]en[/flag] Good:[flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ca[/flag] Focusing on:[flag=]fa[/flag][flag=]ku[/flag][flag=]ps[/flag] Interested in:[flag=]zza[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag]

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2012-10-02, 16:21

The political split actually was a lot more along linguistical lines before 1996 when Barzani conquered Hewlêr back from Talabani...

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2012-10-08, 6:12

Let me tell you some more about my life ;)

Duh ez çum bi hevalê lawê min re karê wî . Ev di keştî de dixebite. Di keşti de makineyê qehve û rojimêrin bi jinên çiplaq re hene.

Ez nexebitim. Lê gava ez mezin bibim, ez dixwazim Kurdolog bibim.
Ev henekek e - ez piçûk ninim, ez bist û neh salîyem!

Lê ez nexebitim û ez zêdê dixewim.
Iroj ez zû ra dibim. Li nivroyê ez ê di seko de dirêj bibim, ez e bixewim ;)

Set

Postby Set » 2012-10-17, 13:02

adventrue wrote:Duh ez çum bi hevalê lawê min re karê wî . Ev di keştî de dixebite. Di keşti de makineyê qehve û rojimêrin bi jinên çiplaq re hene.

On the boat there is a coffee machine and rojimerin? (like a men's magazine or something?) with naked women...is that right?
Native:[flag=]en[/flag] Good:[flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ca[/flag] Focusing on:[flag=]fa[/flag][flag=]ku[/flag][flag=]ps[/flag] Interested in:[flag=]zza[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag]

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2012-10-30, 13:32

Rojmerin means "calendar", or so my book told me.

You can think of it etymologically as "roj"- "mer" -> "measure the days"...

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2012-11-13, 21:10

I am pretty sure you guys have seen these videos before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLxApEnT ... ure=relmfu

Anyone else learning with them? I think they kick ass haha

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2012-11-16, 17:26

Min duh çûm Den Haag'ê. Li wir wargeh ji bo penaber heye. Li wir piranîyan ji Irak hatin. Gelek pir kurd heye. Min çûm û kirdarî kurdî kirim. Her kesan pir dostane bûn.
Her kes di çadir de radizin. Ez him şevek di çadir ji bo jînan de radizim. Di ve çadir de betanîên zede heye. Sar nabû. Ama di şev de hewayê mînûs çar pile da.

(My past tense is terrible, so I use sometimes present tense ;) )

Set

Postby Set » 2012-11-17, 18:28

Hey thanks for the link above. I've seen that programme before, but I'd completely forgotten about it, so thanks for reminding me! :)

adventrue wrote:Min duh çûm Den Haag'ê. Li wir wargeh ji bo penaber heye. Li wir piranîyan ji Irak hatin. Gelek pir kurd heye. Min çûm û kirdarî kurdî kirim. Her kesan pir dostane bûn.
Her kes di çadir de radizin. Ez him şevek di çadir ji bo jînan de radizim. Di ve çadir de betanîên zede heye. Sar nabû. Ama di şev de hewayê mînûs çar pile da.

(My past tense is terrible, so I use sometimes present tense ;) )

I don't know a lot of the words you used so I can't help much, but one thing I can say is that it should be "ez çûm". Intransitive verbs don't take the ergative so the object stays in the nominative case. With a transitive verb it would be 'min' though, e.g. min got - I said.

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2012-11-18, 19:53

Transitive/intransitive... thanks. This is the problem of me using books that explain things in Turkish! I thought the difference was something else...

Learning a new language is amazing every time. Now listening to Aynur Dogan. I have known songs of her for years now, and suddenly I start understanding the titles of songs, and when I read the lyrics, even them!

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2012-11-18, 19:56

And let me help you understand my text above.

wargeh - camp
penaber - refugee
kirdarî - practice
çadir - tent

Set

Postby Set » 2012-11-19, 17:59

In that case, there's a few more things I can point out.

Li wir wargeh ji bo penaber heye ==> ji bo penaberan (obl. case after prep.)

Li wir piranîyan ji Irak hatin ==> ji Îraqê (as above)

Min çûm û kirdarî kurdî kirim ==> Ez çûm û min kirdarî kurdî kir (first is intr. and the second tr. so you need to say ez and min)

Her kesan pir dostane bûn ==> I would guess it should be her kes like you did in the next sentence, and thus bû

Her kes di çadir de radizin (I think this is correct, but know that 'çadir' here is in the obl. case even though it doesn't change)

Don't rely on this too much though, after all I'm not native :P

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2012-11-20, 12:39

Thanks! It is difficult to apply grammatical rules you just learnt!
Why does çadir not change in the casus obliquus??

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2012-11-20, 13:25

Ez berê jînim di Paris. Li wir pirtûkxaneyê kurdî heye. Di wir de li Amsterdam, komelekê kurdî heye, lê pirtûkxaneyê wî nîne.
Di şahra hun de komelekê kurdî heye? Dostan kurdîye hun heye?

Set

Postby Set » 2012-11-22, 1:37

adventrue wrote:Thanks! It is difficult to apply grammatical rules you just learnt!
Why does çadir not change in the casus obliquus??

çadir is masculine. The oblique case for masc. nouns is -î but this is only used in a few circumstances like after vî/wî, eg. di vî çadirî de - in that tent, or after her, eg. di her çadirî de - in every tent

I don't know if there are other situations where the -î appears though.

Also, as a kind of exception, there are some masc. nouns with 'a' in the word which changes to ê in the obl. case. They tend to be short words I think. Eg. agir ==> êgir (fire)

The thing is there might be quite a lot of regional variation on these types of things, so maybe there are some places where they always use the -î ...ask your Kurdish friends, maybe they can help you.

BTW, has anyone seen this course/thought about trying it: http://cls.arizona.edu/kur1/online.htm

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2012-11-22, 12:13

The thing is there might be quite a lot of regional variation on these types of things, so maybe there are some places where they always use the -î ...ask your Kurdish friends, maybe they can help you.

I am going to stick to striving to learn bookish Kurdish...

I have not seen that course before, it looks interesting. If it is college level, sounds like you should learn something from it. Is it eighty dollars a semester, though?
For now I have enough other material, but thanks for the link, I will be thinking about it, too!

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2013-02-09, 9:45

Silav,
ez di Rêbendanê de cûm turkîyê. Min jî bi hevalên nû kurdî nas kir, lê belê ez nacûm kurdistanê. Ez sirf cûm Konyayê û Enkareyê.
Li havînê ez dixwazim carî bicim li turkîyê. Hingê ez jî bicim amedê û cizireyê.

Set

Postby Set » 2013-06-06, 10:01

Ok, I've finally decided to come back to learning Kurdish properly. The problem is that I'm looking to go and work there for a while and all the jobs seem to be in the Sorani speaking areas, so I've decided to start learning Sorani now (I still want to learn Kurmanji at some point though!).

I've already started going through Thackston's book. They really put their object pronouns in crazy places in Sorani!! And I don't like the script that much, but oh well.

One thing I've thought though is that it would be great if there were exercises for Thackston's books and that that probably wouldn't be too difficult to do, although obviously a native speaker would need to be involved.

If I ever get time I would like to make some open-source resources to be worked through based on Thackston's grammar, although probably not going in the order that he sets out the book.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2013-06-06, 10:24

Set wrote:
One thing I've thought though is that it would be great if there were exercises for Thackston's books and that that probably wouldn't be too difficult to do, although obviously a native speaker would need to be involved.

If you don't mind using a French textbook, Joyce Blau's Méthode de Kurde - Sorani has a lot of exercices.

http://books.google.fr/books?id=vDOfJ-5 ... &q&f=false

I'm currently working my way through her method for Kurmanji.

Set

Postby Set » 2013-06-06, 10:58

I don't know if I'd understand the French well enough, I've never studied it, and it's quite expensive for something that I might not be able to use.

How are the exercises though? Is it mostly translation exercises?

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2013-06-07, 8:31

Yes, each lesson has two translation exercices.

Return to “Kurdish (Kurdî/کوردی)”