hindi movie channels on youtube

Moderator:vijayjohn

umai
hindi movie channels on youtube

Postby umai » 2015-01-01, 16:50

Hello everyone!

I was wondering what's the matter with these youtube movie channels (like e.g. rajshri, shemaroo, venus movies ...)
They appear to be all legal and official. But actually I can't imagine of what use this would be for those companies to have their movies on youtube...

Does anyone know if they really are official (and why the companies are doing this)?
(btw. I know that it's not illegal to watch even if it's an illegal upload - but even so ... I just prefer to know where I'm at.)

And a very happy new year to you! :)
*Maria

Meera

Re: hindi movie channels on youtube

Postby Meera » 2015-01-04, 22:25

Hello, many of the movies they stream they have rights for or the movies are so old they don't need the rights. Most of these are the distributors of the films, for example most the Hindi DVDs I get are from Eros. So it is legal. These are all completely legal and official. Before youtube Rajshri used to stream their films on their website. Most of the films are also old so they aren't making much money in DVD sales and have finished their run in theaters. So they don't loose any money to stream them on youtube.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

umai

Postby umai » 2015-01-08, 20:47

I see..
I mean I never came across any german (or english) company who does this, so I was wondering if there is something special about Indian copyright laws or so. Anyways.. even the old movies are really fun :)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-01-09, 22:48

Yeah I don't know of any company that does that either. I think some Nigerian companies do that with their films too. Indian movies tend to come on TV fast too, for example Star Gold will show a movie on tv that was in theaters last month.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

mayurkawale

Postby mayurkawale » 2015-12-26, 13:44

Yes I am actually not understanding.... if you have released your movie, whay cant you put it on your official channel. We are user and want to see movie again and again..... sont understand. Any way hoping in future it will definitely come on official channels.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-03-08, 6:07

Somehow I doubt that copyright laws in India are quite as stringent as in the US and many European countries.

littlepond

Postby littlepond » 2016-09-25, 15:44

Eros, Shemaroo, etc. - they are distributors of these movies, so the online content is very much legally uploaded. As smartphones spread in India, people are watching a lot on Youtube while commuting, etc.: so digital video content is a lovely money-spinner for these companies. Why not to upload the complete "Namak Halaal" on Youtube: you are anyway not going to screen it now in a theatre really? If Western companies are not doing that with their old films, that's for two reasons, IMO: (1) the market for them is not that big, plus too fragmented, (2) the DVD market works well for them and makes good money for them, especially when a film gets in the league of Criterion Collection, etc. But, I agree, they are missing out on some money: many of the old Hollywood or other Western countries' films are quite unknown, and better to put them online. What's the point of keeping them so no one can see them? Doesn't benefit anyone!

By the way, one lovely Youtube channel is Pocket Films, if I remember the name correctly: they often upload shorts and those films which didn't make it to theatres or could make it only to multiplexes for very few days. Some of them are real gems! Like the short "Tubelight ka chaand".
[flag=]hi[/flag] born in it, [flag=]en[/flag] first love, [flag=]fr[/flag] can discuss philosophy in it, [flag=]gu[/flag] can hear garba all night long, [flag=]it[/flag] can just about manage in it, [flag=]de[/flag] remnants of forgotten basics, [flag=]et[/flag] learning with zest, [flag=]sa[/flag] was in school and now want to re-learn, [flag=]no[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ta[/flag] next on radar

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”