Re: The Bollywood Topic

Postby Meera » 2013-12-08, 23:19

These are all great! Thanks Bijlee!! :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-12-09, 6:37

I watched Seeta aur Geeta earlier today. It was a really cute movie. I thought Hema Malini did a great job!

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-12-09, 23:37

Yeah I love Heema in it.
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-12-09, 23:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rhsARKLylY

LOLOL If they episodes come out I will post them here. I saw the one with Ranbir and Kareena. Ranbir is such an a-hole. I hope his career fizzles out fast. Kareena was awesome though, as always :P There was also an episode with Salman I haven't seen yet.
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-12-10, 0:09

Interviews from Anupama C­hopra's show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7vbA0uUdw0
Alia is adorable but Shraddha ugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7nYY1_3LFE
Aww her english has gotten so much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILYU4zjO3Ps
Deeps and Ranveer. Anupama's reviews are spot on. I want to marry Ranveer :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIfJA_IWBF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTm4lJkeeWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzTo0fDNoe4
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-12-10, 1:59

Sorry this is so late, but:

schokolade wrote:I'm actually a little bit picky when it comes to films... I can easily watch a movie without romance, but I am such a sucker for it that I prefer to watch films that have at least a BIT of romance included lol... *sigh* I like living vicariously through film characters!

And I've never seen any of those language films! It's probably harder for me to find or know which Telugu/Tamil/Malayalam films are good because I'm so used to Hindi-language cinema and the actors/actresses etc. Bengali is probably a film industry I haven't even thought about!!!

I'm very picky when it comes to movies, too, although I actually prefer movies that don't have (much) romance in them. :) I don't know much about Telugu or Tamil movies because I've seen very few in Tamil and even fewer (I think) in Telugu. However, there is one Telugu movie I can recommend: it's called Oy!. Plot-wise at least, it's basically like a Bollywood flick, but the ending left me feeling shocked. It also has my favorite Malayalee actress in her first role as the heroine. :P

In Tamil, well, there's always the famous and extremely popular movies by Mani Ratnam; I'm thinking specifically of Bombay, Roja, and I guess also Guru, all of which were also dubbed into Hindi and Telugu (Roja was also dubbed into Malayalam and Marathi). I don't remember Roja all that well, apart from it being romantic (but also having to do with the Kashmir conflict, where I personally don't care much for India's political stance). Bombay is pretty violent and gut-wrenchingly tragic (it's about Hindu-Muslim conflicts, after all), but it certainly involves romance, and I like it precisely because it dared to expose all of this in (what I thought was) brutally honest detail. Guru is basically the story of a business tycoon - not terribly romantic, FWIR, and not one of my personal favorites, but certainly interesting and different from the usual Indian movie. (I think it's available on Netflix).

There's also Kannathil Muthamittal a.k.a. "A Peck on the Cheek" by Mani Ratnam, which was not dubbed into any other languages (and which I haven't personally seen but it's on Netflix and it sounds pretty good, lol). Finally, there's Thirumalai, which AFAIK is a pretty typical Tamil movie (same basic plot as a typical Bollywood movie).

Now, Malayalam is my heritage language, so I'm more familiar with movies in that language. As a Malayalee, I think I'm culturally obliged to recommend Chemmeen. :lol: It's our most famous movie and (like most Malayalam movies of its time) a romantic tragedy. Shadow Kill is an even better tragedy (and in fact the language is interesting, since the main character speaks only Tamil even when others speak to him in Malayalam), though with no romance in it. Nakhakshathangal is a 1980s romantic tragedy that's also very good (though also pretty sad). Vanaprastham: The Last Dance is slightly more lighthearted, and I guess you could say it involves a romance of sorts (though both of those involved in the romance are married). And now I'm trying to think of some other Malayalam movies with subtitles which either I like (like the above three) or are representative of the industry as a whole, but my mind is drawing a blank. :P

Finally, Bengali. Hmm...almost all the Bengali movies I've seen are by Satyajit Ray. His movies are not much like standard Bollywood fare at all (although there are a few that are closer than the others) and in fact, IMPO, more often than not, they're difficult to really understand. :P I'd say Samapti (The Conclusion, part of the anthology Teen Kanya a.k.a. "Two Daughters") is one of the easier ones to understand, and it's romantic though it's less than an hour long. Nayak is also pretty romantic and relatively simple; it's about the hero (an actor!) exploring his past with the heroine's help. :wink: I would recommend Charulata as well; it's a classic romantic tragedy, and it is a good movie, but it's important in that movie to realize how all the characters are related though I find it's all too easy to get mixed up there. :P Lastly, I've never seen Saptapadi (it's not a Ray movie), but apparently, it's a good old black-and-white romantic movie.

I think most of these can be found on YouTube with subtitles (though that's probably not true of the Malayalam movies I mentioned here).

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-12-10, 2:19

Vijay, Bombay and Guru were HINDI movies, they were dubbed in Tamil. All the actors in these movies were Hindi speakers and it was filmed in Hindi. Iruvar, Kannathil Muthamittal and maybe Roja were orginally shot in Tamil. I think Ravaan may of had two shootings because Abhishiek Bachchan and Vikram switched roles.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-12-16, 5:55

I'm sorry, I'm not sure about Bombay, but you're absolutely right about Guru there. It was definitely in Hindi and had all Hindi-speaking actors. :)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-12-16, 19:15

vijayjohn wrote:I'm sorry, I'm not sure about Bombay, but you're absolutely right about Guru there. It was definitely in Hindi and had all Hindi-speaking actors. :)

I haven't seen Bombay in a while but from what I remember the lead actor Arvind Swamy is South Indian but it was filmed in Hindi because of Manisha and was later dubbed in Tamil with him dubbing himself, I'm not sure if he was dubbed in Hindi or not. But Manisha is Nepali and deffentitly does not speak Tamil. Unless they filmed it in Tamil and she dubbed herself in Hindi. I guess it doesn't matter, both the Tamil and Hindi version are amazing regardless.

Since we are talking about Bombay, I wanted to add, that although I thought Manisha was amazing in the role, I thought it was funny he chose her to play a South Indians, she has done a couple Tamil films I believe, but she just looks so Nepali and very North Indian. I know India is diverse so I can't really generalize. But I always think of Nepal when I see her :P I thought she was perfect in Dil Se.
अहिंसा/เจ

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2013-12-16, 19:37

Meera wrote: she just looks so Nepali and very North Indian.

or even Assamese :whistle:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-12-16, 19:46

TeneReef wrote:
Meera wrote: she just looks so Nepali and very North Indian.

or even Assamese :whistle:

Yeah I always thought she looked Assamese too.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-12-17, 5:31

Well, maybe it's only because the only picture I'd seen of her before today (and aside from what I saw in the movie) was this one, but I never suspected that she was Nepali and was surprised to find that out (when I was a teenager, I think). I don't think I even thought she was non-Tamil, given how powdery-white even South Indian heroines tend to be. Somehow I'd expect her to look more "Chinese" (if that makes sense) if she was Nepali or Assamese. Well, I dunno, I know next to nothing about either Nepal or Assam, even though both Nepali and Assamese look like fairly easy languages to learn (at least at first blush and compared to, like, Kashmiri). :P

But just because the topic came up, and even though you might know this already...a lot of Indian actors act in movies in languages they don't know at all. And that reminded me of this clip where, starting at about 8:40, Katrina Kaif talks about acting in a Malayalam movie (in contrast to a Telugu movie), even though it seems she barely even speaks Hindi! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mowSnrl6Z78#t=519

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-12-17, 6:30

vijayjohn wrote:Well, maybe it's only because the only picture I'd seen of her before today (and aside from what I saw in the movie) was this one, but I never suspected that she was Nepali and was surprised to find that out (when I was a teenager, I think). I don't think I even thought she was non-Tamil, given how powdery-white even South Indian heroines tend to be. Somehow I'd expect her to look more "Chinese" (if that makes sense) if she was Nepali or Assamese. Well, I dunno, I know next to nothing about either Nepal or Assam, even though both Nepali and Assamese look like fairly easy languages to learn (at least at first blush and compared to, like, Kashmiri). :P

But just because the topic came up, and even though you might know this already...a lot of Indian actors act in movies in languages they don't know at all. And that reminded me of this clip where, starting at about 8:40, Katrina Kaif talks about acting in a Malayalam movie (in contrast to a Telugu movie), even though it seems she barely even speaks Hindi! :lol:

Yeah Rani Mukerji, Bipasha Basu, Lara Dutta and even Sonakshi Sinha have been dubbed in movies and Tamil heroines are north indian and dubbed. For example Shriya Saran and Simran. Katrina Kaif I respect her for trying to learn Hindi but her Hindi is so bad.

And Manish deffinetly looks Nepali and Assamese, although some Nepalis and Assamese and even North Indians may look Chinese, I think most Nepali's dont and they are very mixed. But even before I found out Manisha was Nepali, I thought she was deffintly North Indian (like Himmichal Pradesh and Uttarkhand) or Assamese or Nepali. I even think she could pass for Afghan. :P
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-12-23, 2:12

Yeah, Nepalis are a bit of a curiosity to me. To me, some look Indian and others look Chinese, and I kind of wonder to what extent that correlates with ethnicity. But really, TBH, I'm just really bad at telling ethnicities. I mean, heck, as I always say, if Freddie Mercury is Indian... :lol:

Meera wrote:I even think she could pass for Afghan. :P

You know that picture I posted a link to? My cousin got married to a Persian lady (who grew up here), and I swear she looks just like Manisha Koirala in that picture. Or at least, she would if she had a green veil draped over her. :P

Meera

Postby Meera » 2014-01-13, 18:11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4bgyGex78M

I know I posted this song before, but I wanted to post this because I remember watching this on Zee TV when I was like 12 or 11 and I can't believe they have it on youtube
अहिंसा/เจ

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-01-18, 10:22

The girl in red looks so like Kareena. :para:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति

Meera

Postby Meera » 2014-01-18, 18:21

It is Kareena.
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2014-02-03, 16:51

So I finally saw Ram-Leela last night! I have to say it was amazing, it is very masala-ish, and over the top but it was so good. I think I am in love with Ranveer Singh. His and Deepika's chemistry is so good, I swear I'd watch a movie about paint drying if they were in it :mrgreen: I can't stop listening to the soundtrack and I want to watch it again! :P

I think though my favorite BW film of 2013 though was Lootera followed by Raanjhana. And then probably Ram-Leela and Chennai Express. But Lootera was so amazing I couldn't stop thinking about it after I watched it.
अहिंसा/เจ

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-02-06, 19:43

My sweetheart has the best accent in whole Bollywood :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7nYY1_3LFE
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”