The Bollywood Topic

Moderator:vijayjohn

Bijlee
Re: The Bollywood Topic

Postby Bijlee » 2013-11-09, 17:33

You can also try Khalnayak, Mrityudand, Tezaab, and Beta! Maybe check out Gaja Gamini too. I'm not crazy about it, but it's something... different.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-11-09, 19:07

Oh I forgot about Tezaab and Beta, I love those!
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-11-10, 3:05

Haha wow, I need to write down all of these films and look them up :) Thanks guys!

I'm actually a little bit picky when it comes to films... I can easily watch a movie without romance, but I am such a sucker for it that I prefer to watch films that have at least a BIT of romance included lol... *sigh* I like living vicariously through film characters!
.............Fluent in: Australian English (en-au)
.............Learning: Turkish (tr)
.......Knowledge of: German (de), Uzbek (uz), Hindi (hi)
.......Fascinated by: Arabic (ar), Persian (fa), Russian (ru), Spanish (es), Turkic languages (Uyghur (ug),Kyrgyz (ky) etc)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-11-10, 16:37

schokolade wrote:Haha wow, I need to write down all of these films and look them up :) Thanks guys!

I'm actually a little bit picky when it comes to films... I can easily watch a movie without romance, but I am such a sucker for it that I prefer to watch films that have at least a BIT of romance included lol... *sigh* I like living vicariously through film characters!

I'm not really picky at all when it comes to movies, I like all kinds of movies :P
अहिंसा/เจ

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-11-10, 23:08

Yes, I need to branch out a bit more! I ought to check out those Dhoom movies... I'm not a huge action movie fan but it would be interesting to watch a Bollywood one.

I've also decided to watch Rang De Basanti. Just need to purchase the DVD!
Omg, that reminds me... I bought the film New York (with Katrina Kaif) AGES ago and I STILL haven't watched it :O
.......Fascinated by: Arabic (ar), Persian (fa), Russian (ru), Spanish (es), Turkic languages (Uyghur (ug),Kyrgyz (ky) etc)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-11-11, 17:34

schokolade wrote:Yes, I need to branch out a bit more! I ought to check out those Dhoom movies... I'm not a huge action movie fan but it would be interesting to watch a Bollywood one.

I've also decided to watch Rang De Basanti. Just need to purchase the DVD!
Omg, that reminds me... I bought the film New York (with Katrina Kaif) AGES ago and I STILL haven't watched it :O

Dhoom 1 is pretty good. However the second one is awful. Actually you should watch because it's a good movie to laugh at, me and my friends make fun of it all the time. :P The third one is coming out soon. Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeF_b8EQcK0
अहिंसा/เจ

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-11-12, 12:28

Meera wrote:Dhoom 1 is pretty good. However the second one is awful. Actually you should watch because it's a good movie to laugh at, me and my friends make fun of it all the time. :P The third one is coming out soon. Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeF_b8EQcK0

Ooooh okay!! HAHA sure :P I laugh all the time in Bollywood films, especially when there's an incredibly cheesy line or a cheesy song XD

Oooh, Dhoom 3 actually kinda looks good! Uday Chopra, Aamir Khan! :D It is reminding me of the Hollywood film Now You See Me lol (even though I haven't seen that movie, just the trailers). But seriously, there are hardly any original films these days. Bollywood has a habit of remaking a lot of Tamil and Tegalu films, as I discover when I read about them on Wikipedia!

I just finished watching the Punjabi film Tera Mera Ki Rishta. I think this might be my first Punjabi film? I could definitely tell there was a difference in the language (compared to Hindi I mean), even though it seems there is a fair bit of crossover between Hindi and Punjabi.

This song was my favourite, loved the colours:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-slpU54-tI4
I actually recognised the word jahan which means 'world' in Persian.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-11-12, 17:46

What a beautiful song! It really makes me want to learn Punjabi again. Jahan is also used in Hindi. Except it is sometimes used diffirently than in Persian. Punjabi and Hindi are very simmilair. Actually if you learn Hindi you could probably understand basic phrases in Punjabi. I've always wanted to get into Punjabi films, I love the language a lot but it's alot eaiser to get Bengali, Telugu and Tamil films.
अहिंसा/เจ

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-11-13, 7:09

Meera wrote:What a beautiful song! It really makes me want to learn Punjabi again. Jahan is also used in Hindi. Except it is sometimes used diffirently than in Persian. Punjabi and Hindi are very simmilair. Actually if you learn Hindi you could probably understand basic phrases in Punjabi. I've always wanted to get into Punjabi films, I love the language a lot but it's alot eaiser to get Bengali, Telugu and Tamil films.

Isn't it lovely?? Yes I wondered if it was also used in Hindi films. They tend to use words from Persian or Arabic in some songs, more poetic languages :P

Yes, that's what's good about languages that come from the same family. You can learn one and get the gist of another.

Oh ok! I would have thought Punjabi films would be easy to come by! But sometimes if one of these films stars a famous Bollywood actor or actress the film is easier to find. Manisha Koirala is one who has done a few films that weren't Hindi. But you forget that each Indian state has its own official language/s and some of them aren't actually Hindi (Kannada, Gujurati etc). And some Indian states have English as a co-official language! So many different language films can be made, and all from the one country lol.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-11-13, 17:17

schokolade wrote:
Meera wrote:What a beautiful song! It really makes me want to learn Punjabi again. Jahan is also used in Hindi. Except it is sometimes used diffirently than in Persian. Punjabi and Hindi are very simmilair. Actually if you learn Hindi you could probably understand basic phrases in Punjabi. I've always wanted to get into Punjabi films, I love the language a lot but it's alot eaiser to get Bengali, Telugu and Tamil films.

Isn't it lovely?? Yes I wondered if it was also used in Hindi films. They tend to use words from Persian or Arabic in some songs, more poetic languages :P

Yes, that's what's good about languages that come from the same family. You can learn one and get the gist of another.

Oh ok! I would have thought Punjabi films would be easy to come by! But sometimes if one of these films stars a famous Bollywood actor or actress the film is easier to find. Manisha Koirala is one who has done a few films that weren't Hindi. But you forget that each Indian state has its own official language/s and some of them aren't actually Hindi (Kannada, Gujurati etc). And some Indian states have English as a co-official language! So many different language films can be made, and all from the one country lol.

Yeah Manisha Koirala is Nepali and has done many different language films. I think she even did a Nepali film. After Hindi/Urdu I think the biggest film industries would be Telugu, Tamil and Malayalam. Bengali cinema used to be really big too but because of the economic status in West Bengal and Bangladesh sadly there aren't many being produced nowadays. :( I think the south has a more of a film industry because the South in my opinion is much more developed than North India and also because a Punjabi, Gujarati or Marathi speakers would much more likely to understand a Hindi film than a speaker of Dravidian language.
अहिंसा/เจ

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-11-16, 9:03

Meera wrote:After Hindi/Urdu I think the biggest film industries would be Telugu, Tamil and Malayalam.

And I've never seen any of those language films! It's probably harder for me to find or know which Telugu/Tamil/Malayalam films are good because I'm so used to Hindi-language cinema and the actors/actresses etc. Bengali is probably a film industry I haven't even thought about!!!

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-11-29, 5:17

कल मैं ने यह फ़िल्म देखा:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VV_ruJi8_Q
कुछ खास नहीं, लेकिन काफ़ी अच्छा है।

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-12-01, 5:52

शुक्रिया
अहिंसा/เจ

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-12-06, 2:51

Chennai Express made it on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCvv73Vdcq4

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-12-06, 4:28

Did you watch it Bijlee?? :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-12-07, 4:52

Well, I watched part of it yesterday and I liked it. Then I came back to finish it today and it got taken off. :(

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-12-07, 5:01

Aww :( it's on netflix.
अहिंसा/เจ

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2013-12-07, 15:32

schokolade wrote:
Meera wrote:After Hindi/Urdu I think the biggest film industries would be Telugu, Tamil and Malayalam.

And I've never seen any of those language films! It's probably harder for me to find or know which Telugu/Tamil/Malayalam films are good because I'm so used to Hindi-language cinema and the actors/actresses etc. Bengali is probably a film industry I haven't even thought about!!!

Tamil movie industry has the best music/scores. :wink:
U should definitely Tamil. :P :mrgreen:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-12-08, 5:52

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”