The Bollywood Topic

Moderator:vijayjohn

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The Bollywood Topic

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-15, 1:27

Meera wrote:The best Bollywood actors are the most underrated ones.

Like who? Now you've got me curious. :)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-08-15, 2:53

vijayjohn wrote:

Ronit Roy is one, he was amazing in Udaan. Arjun Rampal could probably be a much better hero than Salman, same with John Abraham. They are just never given the chance. Ranveer Singh and Sushant Singh Rajput. Shreyas Tapalde, Irrfan Khan, Manoj Bajpayee, Randeep Hooda, and Farhan Akhrtar used to be underrated. He kind of still is. I will add Shahid Kapoor too I never liked him that much but he blew me away in Haider. I will add Nawazuddin Siddiqui too.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-15, 16:08

Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

Ronit Roy is one, he was amazing in Udaan. Arjun Rampal could probably be a much better hero than Salman, same with John Abraham. They are just never given the chance. Ranveer Singh and Sushant Singh Rajput. Shreyas Tapalde, Irrfan Khan, Manoj Bajpayee, Randeep Hooda, and Farhan Akhrtar used to be underrated. He kind of still is. I will add Shahid Kapoor too I never liked him that much but he blew me away in Haider. I will add Nawazuddin Siddiqui too.

Wow, I was sure I'd heard of three of those people you just listed until I realized that I confused two of them for other actors with kind of similar names, and it turns out the only one of them I've even heard of is John Abraham. :shock: :lol:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-08-15, 16:49

John Abraham is known for being eye candy heartthrob, but he is quite good in movies like Madras Cafe. He is a lot better than some of the Khan's anyway :P
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-16, 13:55

Oh OK. I actually haven't seen any of his movies yet, but I'll take your word for it. :lol: Probably like everybody who acted in Ankur except maybe Shabana Azmi is underrated, too. :P Or really, probably most of the great actors in Hindi art cinema are underrated.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-09-06, 17:12

vijayjohn wrote:

Kangna
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-09-06, 19:55

TeneReef wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

Kangna

Agree, she is amazing and only gets hated on!
अहिंसा/เจ

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2016-06-18, 5:24

I got cable again at my house, so I've been watching some of the Bollywood stuff on demand. There aren't many free options for me, but so far I've watched Raanjhanaa and Lootera. They were both entertaining, but the main guys in them were major creeps. :P

I think in Lootera the main guy wouldn't have been as dickish if he wouldn't have treated Pakhi so bad in the end of the movie. She was right to be hateful to him for what he did to her. I guess it was all to give him that new tough guy aspect, but his likable side completely disappeared.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-24, 19:51

Bijlee wrote:I got cable again at my house, so I've been watching some of the Bollywood stuff on demand. There aren't many free options for me, but so far I've watched Raanjhanaa and Lootera. They were both entertaining, but the main guys in them were major creeps. :P

I think in Lootera the main guy wouldn't have been as dickish if he wouldn't have treated Pakhi so bad in the end of the movie. She was right to be hateful to him for what he did to her. I guess it was all to give him that new tough guy aspect, but his likable side completely disappeared.

I agree about Lootera. He was an idiot. By the way Bijlee you should watch Neerja if you can find it.

Raanjhana I hated the male lead so much. He was such a prick. I was glad he died
अहिंसा/เจ

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2016-06-26, 1:15

Meera wrote:I agree about Lootera. He was an idiot. By the way Bijlee you should watch Neerja if you can find it.

Will do. :mrgreen:

I was glad he died

Same lol. If only the main woman didn't admit to the crime. She could have salvaged her life from what he did. Also wtf with him threatening to cut himself in the beginning of the movie and she suddenly loves him after that? I've seen that a couple times in Bollywood now. So weird. :P

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-26, 3:10

Bijlee wrote:
Meera wrote:I agree about Lootera. He was an idiot. By the way Bijlee you should watch Neerja if you can find it.

Will do. :mrgreen:

I was glad he died

Same lol. If only the main woman didn't admit to the crime. She could have salvaged her life from what he did. Also wtf with him threatening to cut himself in the beginning of the movie and she suddenly loves him after that? I've seen that a couple times in Bollywood now. So weird. :P

Yeah thats a trope in Bollywood films. Something like that happened in The Notebook too. Ryan Gosling's charecter forced Rachel McAdams on a date with him saying he'd jump off the ferris wheel if she didn't. It is not cute or romantic at all.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-14, 21:01

I'm curious, has Bollywood died down in popularity lately? I get the impression that people aren't nearly as into it as they used to be. Are there any new movies that anyone has been watching lately?

All the movies I know are very old. For example, I think I mentioned elsewhere on this forum a 1970 movie called Samaj Ko Badal Dalo, which is a remake of a (Telugu) remake of the 1968 Malayalam movie Thulabharam. (I'm not entirely sure why I suddenly remembered this particular movie).

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”