Short Questions

Moderator:vijayjohn

charlie_issac
Re: Short Questions

Postby charlie_issac » 2012-06-18, 9:48

hahahaha! That is really funny. Thanks Jesus bhai for telling the meaning of "GORA". Trusting on you I will try to learn Hindi not only for exploring the gossip but also to understand the other culture. Thanks for the help. And my first words in Hindi is for you bro.

Dhanyavaad (Thanks)

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-06-18, 19:52

You're most welcome. Fun fact, in urdu instead of dhanyvad, you say shukriya. And in Punjabi, you can say Shukriya or Dhannavad, which as you can see is similar to Dhanyvad, without the y sound.

If you're looking for some resources for hindi, let me know, I can hook you up with links and such. Now I also have another suggestion, since a big part of language learning is actually using the things you learn, join the skype group myself and some others on the forum have set up. There should be a topic for it on this page, check it out, and please do stop by. :D
Interested in practicing urdu over IM services, check my profile for contact info. Big interest in Old Hindustani and Punjabi music, always uploading songs to my youtube channel.

charlie_issac

Postby charlie_issac » 2012-06-19, 10:40

Thanks for increasing my knowledge. Now I am sure with the help of you and and the children who used to call me "GORA", I will learn the basics of hindi very soon; hopefully within a few days. And by the way I have one question, what do we call Mr. in hindi?

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-06-19, 14:11

Sure, for Mister we can say Shree (this is more formal in my opinion, I hardly hear this) Or Saab/Sahib. For example, Kya haal hai Charlie Saab? Or, How are you Mister Charlie?
Interested in practicing urdu over IM services, check my profile for contact info. Big interest in Old Hindustani and Punjabi music, always uploading songs to my youtube channel.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-06-21, 1:23

For mister(or mrs.) I would use Ji after their name :P Or you can use Sahib.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-06-23, 15:34

Oh yeah, forgot about Ji. Though in my experience, especially among people who speak Urdu or Pakistani Punjabi, their speech is VERY polite. They say Ji even with children sometimes! My understanding of what Ji means is sort of like in english how we say, My Dear. It's a respect marker, not QUITE the same meaning that Saab or Sahib carry, at least in my opinion.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-06-24, 6:01

Jesus Bhai wrote:Oh yeah, forgot about Ji. Though in my experience, especially among people who speak Urdu or Pakistani Punjabi, their speech is VERY polite. They say Ji even with children sometimes! My understanding of what Ji means is sort of like in english how we say, My Dear. It's a respect marker, not QUITE the same meaning that Saab or Sahib carry, at least in my opinion.

Yeah I agree with that, in my experience mostly Hindi belt and "orthodox" Hindu's use ji for sir. Actaully in Hindi soap operas its really common but in Pakistani media and particulary Urdu speakers I hear sahib a lot more. I might be very wrong on this, but just something I noticed.
अहिंसा/เจ

charlie_issac

Postby charlie_issac » 2012-06-27, 13:07

Thankyou Jesus sahab & Meera ji. In english we use Mr before the name and in hindi we use "sahab" after the name, right? quite interesting. What we will call "how are you?" in hindi? As this line is used first when we meet with any one after long gap.

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-06-27, 21:21

Bilkul sahi hai, Charlie Saab. That is to say, Absolutely correct, Mr. Charlie. :mrgreen:

Just like in English, you can say any number of things, mostly based on how you usually talk to that person. Meaning the way you greet your best friend and the way you greet your grandma is different.

For example:

With a friend you could say: Oye kotheya kya haal hai?
Rough translation: "Hey you ass (donkey), how are you!?"

With your grandpa you'd not DARE speak like that (I hope :rotfl: ) so you'd say something like:
Nana ji, aapka kya haal hai? Aapka tabiyat theek hai?
Rough Translation: "Grandpa (Mom's Dad) how are you? How's your health?

Now another thing, based on who you're talking to, Saab/Sahab/Sahib or even Ji may not be the word you need. Take me for example. You don't need to call me Mister or Sir. Whereas someone polite and kind like Meera here, you show respect :mrgreen: Instead you can call me Brother, or Buddy, or Pal, etc.

Bhai (Bhaiya being the more respectable version) means brother. Often times men say this to each other instead of saying Saab or Ji. My username is based on this actually. As back in Highschool, I used to have long hair and a long beard, so I looked a lot like Jesus. I had a friend who would call me 'Jesus Bhai' so thus, the username.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-06-28, 6:55

charlie_issac wrote:Thankyou Jesus sahab & Meera ji. In english we use Mr before the name and in hindi we use "sahab" after the name, right? quite interesting. What we will call "how are you?" in hindi? As this line is used first when we meet with any one after long gap.

Koi Baat nahin :P

For how are you, you can use what Jesus Bhai said "Kya Haal Hai?" or "Aapka Tabiyat theek hai?" or you can say "Aap kaise Hain?" for a male and "Aap Kaisi hain?" for a female.
अहिंसा/เจ

charlie_issac

Postby charlie_issac » 2012-06-28, 13:58

Ha Ha Ha very interesting Jesus Bhai...Now i am feeling much confidence after conversation with you and Meera ji. I want to participate in conversation betweeen the children who leaves around me and go to some camp named Jano India managed by US hindi association. So tell me wat should I use 'Ji' or "bhaiya" after their name?

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-06-28, 14:39

With children, it makes more sense to use Ji (which is kind of like saying 'Dear'). Bhaiya, again means Brother. You could call them Beta (m) or Beti (f) which is KIND of like saying Son/Daughter, I think the actual translation is a little different, but that's what I've grown up understanding those to mean.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-06-28, 19:52

Yeah what Jesus Bhai said is right use beta or beti :mrgreen: But be warned they might call you uncle. Its common in India to call someone much older han you "uncle/uncle ji" or "auntie/auntie ji". I know a lot of Americans who are shocked when they hear an Indian child call them Uncle or Auntie :P
अहिंसा/เจ

charlie_issac

Postby charlie_issac » 2012-06-29, 13:48

OMG! uncle.......whooo

Thanks meera ji....Jesus bhai..

Now I will not get shock when they will call me uncle. That kids are also new learners, but apart from that camp they learn and practice it with their parents as they are Indians. I usually hear them saying "Bap re Bap" whenever something unusual is happening..what does this mean?

Now i am getting much more familier with common hindi words...Really getting very exited.... :lol:

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-06-29, 17:44

Hey there, Charlie saab :D

Baap re Baap, heh, this is a fun one. Whenever my uncle says this I always understand it to mean like "Oh man" or "Oh boy" or "Oh God (not literally, but similar meaning, if that makes any sense)

Example:

Bob: 2+2...
Jack: I know this, it's equal to 8!
Bob: No, listen to me, it's not 8, it's....
Jack: Oh yeah, it's equal to 7!
Bob: O BAAP RE! Shut up and listen!

Example 2:

Bob get's a letter in the mail saying he missed his monthly car payment
Bob: O Baap re.....

I hope that makes sense. :mrgreen:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-07-02, 22:10

baap re baap is like one of my favorite Hindi expressions ever.
अहिंसा/เจ

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-07-02, 22:54

I don't say it often, some of my uncles do, the one from Agra especially. My family is more 'colorful' with our phrases :mrgreen:

I'd PROBABLY get banned for saying any of them here :rotfl:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-07-03, 2:49

Jesus Bhai wrote:I don't say it often, some of my uncles do, the one from Agra especially. My family is more 'colorful' with our phrases :mrgreen:

I'd PROBABLY get banned for saying any of them here :rotfl:

बकवास :P
अहिंसा/เจ

charlie_issac

Postby charlie_issac » 2012-07-05, 7:06

Hi Jesus Bhai......hello Mira ji

Sorry for the gap..I was busy in past weekends. I need daily practice to learn basics of hindi.

Hey what Meera ji had written in the last post. it was something in hindi. Can u tell me?

I would like to know some more hindi common phrases...like we call "How are you?", "What are you doing?", Whats up?" etc..

laoshu

Postby laoshu » 2012-07-05, 7:13

Hi Charlie, Meera wrote "Bakwaas" means 'nonsense'.
Native: (id)
Speaks: (zh)(en-us)(hi)

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”