An Afrikaans course

Moderator:Aurinĭa

Weerwolf
Re: An Afrikaans course

Postby Weerwolf » 2011-01-29, 9:42

It's all right. Good luck with your schoolwork
In het middelpunt staan: [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]nl-BE[/flag] [flag=]af[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]hr[/flag] [flag=]sr[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag]
Heel hartelijk bedankt voor elke hulp!
Ich bin für jede Verbesserung dankbar.

Минден кездет нехез.

Shiba
Country:ZASouth Africa (Suid-Afrika / uMzantsi Afrika / South Africa)

Postby Shiba » 2011-02-12, 18:11

Thanks ^^
Native: Afrikaans (af) English (en) || Intermediate: German (de) || Beginner: Some odd combination of Riksmål and Bokmål and whatever (no) || Learning on-and-off: Russian (ru) || Curious: Breton (br) Welsh (cy) Finnish (fi)
Korrigere feilene mine, vær så snill!

Die HERE is my herder; niks sal my ontbreek nie. ~ Psalm 23:1

Levo

Postby Levo » 2011-06-14, 9:21

I would also like to participate at an Afrikaans course! :)

Shiba

Postby Shiba » 2011-06-15, 15:53

Awesome! :D Welcome to the course, then.
I'm sorry I STILL haven't gotten around to making any new updates - I'll be sure to make at least one during these upcoming holidays. I'm going on holiday to a place with no internet whatsoever for a week, which should leave me with enough time to come up with a new lesson or two! ;)
Native: Afrikaans (af) English (en) || Intermediate: German (de) || Beginner: Some odd combination of Riksmål and Bokmål and whatever (no) || Learning on-and-off: Russian (ru) || Curious: Breton (br) Welsh (cy) Finnish (fi)

xkuehn

Postby xkuehn » 2011-07-07, 8:31

'n Bietjie opbouende kritiek.

The Alphabet: Consonants and Vowels

a : like the “a” in the German “ach”, “Katze”, “kann”

Aangesien die les in Engels geskryf is moet jy nie net Duitse voorbeelde gee nie. Voeg iets by soos

a: like the The "u" in "cut" or the “a” in the German “ach”, “Katze”, “kann”

Les 2: Gevalle, die Genitiewe Geval:

Andrea: Op gewone my stoel, toe ek vandag daar wou sit.

Foutjie.

Lektor: Ek wonder wie s'n dit kan wees. Dalk is dit een van die kalkulus-lektor se boeke.

Dit is algemeen in Engels om na 'real analysis' te verwys as 'calculus', terwyl dit eintlik net één soort rekening is. My vriende wat wiskunde in Afrikaans studeer het, praat van 'analise' (of 'reële analise', as jy heeltemal korrek wil wees). Dit is wel moontlik dat die gebruik by jou skool anders is. Baie handboeke word deesdae direk uit Engels vertaal. 'Differential calculus' is 'differensiaalrekening'; 'integral caclulus' is 'integraalrekening'; 'calculus' is 'rekening' of 'kalkulus'. Dit is nie regtig verkeerd nie, maar ek sou dit verander.

Sometimes, you will see people use “hul” and “jul” instead of “hulle” and “julle” in the first case.

Die besitlike naamval is die tweede naamval, nie die eerste nie.

Les 3: Die gebruik van “om te”; die aanspreekvorms

Tannie Petro likes it / enjoys it to play the ghuitar.

Eina. "Tannie Petro likes to play guitar."/"Tannie Petro enjoys playing guitar."

Voetnotas

4 A common mistake made even by some native Afrikaans-speakers under the influence of English is to refer to a “bril” as “brille”, and to speak of it in the plural. It is easy to avoid this mistake: “bril” is always singular unless, in fact, more than one pair of glasses is meant.

Belangrike punt en brei hierop uit. Noem dat dit die geval is vir alle sulke woorde. 'n Enkele ding neem die enkelvoud, bv. "broek", "bril", ens.

5 The correct word for “car” is “motor”, but is seen as somewhat older. “Kar” is used in colloquial speech.

Jy laat dit klink of "kar" nie 'n korrekte woord is nie. (Dit is.) "Motor" is bloot 'n sinoniem wat in 'n uiters formele register gebruik word.

6 “Waarom” is used in older Afrikaans. This is seen as more formal and is not used in colloquial speech; it is becoming archaic (argaïes).

Weereens, "waarom" is vir 'n meer formele register. Dit is steeds in gebruik.
Native: [flag]af[/flag][flag]en[/flag]. Intermediate: [flag]de[/flag][flag]nl[/flag]. Beginner: [flag]ja[/flag][flag]st[/flag].
Google Translate wrote:And Google Translator, Babel Fish translation costs excretion.

Shiba

Postby Shiba » 2011-07-13, 15:10

Ai, dankie man. Ek sal die nodige veranderinge aanbring. :y: (Net nie vanaand nie, ek's lui en ek kry koud...)

Shiba

Postby Shiba » 2011-07-26, 19:46

Update: The language course now has far fewer mistakes in it. :D As yet, no new lesson (you may now be angry at me, if you aren't already), and I don't have any excuse. However, I haven't forgotten about it.

Shiba

Postby Shiba » 2011-09-16, 9:06

I have a great announcement to make...

I have actually completed another lesson! Yes! Just when you thought it was never going to happen again! :P

Levo

Postby Levo » 2011-09-28, 19:45

Hello!
Please, if you can guys help me...
I would really like to watch an Afrikaans film:

Ouma se slim kind

I cannot find it in a freely downloadable or online watchable version. (What a Hungarian sentence :) )

I am interested in Afrikaans as you might know it. On top of all that the film is about a mentally disabled boy. I was working with mentally disabled people nearly for a year. So, I have a double interest for the movie.

Can anyone help me how I could watch it?

Dankie!

Weerwolf

Postby Weerwolf » 2011-09-29, 10:03

Shiba wrote:I have a great announcement to make...

I have actually completed another lesson! Yes! Just when you thought it was never going to happen again! :P

:y: Baie dankie vir die lesse! Keep up the good work (btw, how do you say it in Afrikaans?), Shiba!

@Levo: Well, it is pretty damn hard to find Afrikaans films, albums etc. on the internet. I have a hard time finding albums of Albert de Wet. Maybe Afrikaners on this site could give us some hints.
In het middelpunt staan: [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]nl-BE[/flag] [flag=]af[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]hr[/flag] [flag=]sr[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag]

Минден кездет нехез.

Shiba

Postby Shiba » 2011-10-03, 16:55

@Levo: Sorry, I haven't heard of it. :( I'm not sure where you could get it, either, unless you would feel like buying it, in which case I can only direct you to the usual online places you already know of. I will ask around though. :)

Weerwolf wrote: :y: Baie dankie vir die lesse! Keep up the good work (btw, how do you say it in Afrikaans?), Shiba!

Geen probleem nie! :D ("Hou so aan" is the closest Afrikaans expression I can think of. :) )

Weerwolf

Postby Weerwolf » 2011-10-03, 17:25

Shiba wrote:Geen probleem nie! :D ("Hou so aan" is the closest Afrikaans expression I can think of. :) )

Dankie!
I'm gonna have seminars in Afrikaans (two or three lessons) this semester, so I can assure you that your work has been very useful for me. :D As a student of neerlandistiek, I find a good passive knowledge of Afrikaans essential.

Can you think of any forum or website where I can download Afrikaans-speaking music? I have searched a lot, but still I could not find any good for my taste.

Минден кездет нехез.

Shiba

Postby Shiba » 2011-10-05, 15:07

Weerwolf wrote:
Shiba wrote:Geen probleem nie! :D ("Hou so aan" is the closest Afrikaans expression I can think of. :) )

Dankie!
I'm gonna have seminars in Afrikaans (two or three lessons) this semester, so I can assure you that your work has been very useful for me. :D As a student of neerlandistiek, I find a good passive knowledge of Afrikaans essential.

Can you think of any forum or website where I can download Afrikaans-speaking music? I have searched a lot, but still I could not find any good for my taste.

Awesome! :D You're very welcome. Also, that sounds like a fun course.

Hmm. I'm not the best person to give you an answer since I don't listen to a lot of Afrikaans music, but I'll ask around and get back to you. :) The people I know who are likely to know Afrikaans music are mostly into metal. Aside from that I'd recommend that you buy some of Jannie du Toit's stuff, he's really good and always pronounces the words very clearly in his songs, but, well, you'd have to buy it.

Weerwolf

Postby Weerwolf » 2011-10-05, 17:33

Shiba wrote:Awesome! :D You're very welcome. Also, that sounds like a fun course.

Hmm. I'm not the best person to give you an answer since I don't listen to a lot of Afrikaans music, but I'll ask around and get back to you. :) The people I know who are likely to know Afrikaans music are mostly into metal. Aside from that I'd recommend that you buy some of Jannie du Toit's stuff, he's really good and always pronounces the words very clearly in his songs, but, well, you'd have to buy it.

Baie dankie, Shiba! That's very nice of you. It's not a problem if they are into metal. Actually, that is close to my liking, myself being a fan of hard rock and heavy metal.

Yeah, a fun course definitely. :) Although, I have to wait till we get to the Afrikaans lessons. We go through the whole Germanic languages and then focusing on the tongues from the Low Lands. This lessons will teach us some basic of the Germanic languages.

Минден кездет нехез.

language learner

Postby language learner » 2012-11-17, 18:06

The link in OP is not working, do you know any other courses/resources? Searching the net gives no goed results.

Weerwolf

Postby Weerwolf » 2012-11-19, 17:55

имен wrote:The link in OP is not working, do you know any other courses/resources? Searching the net gives no goed results.

Dis inderdaad moeilik om aanlyn bronne vir Afrikaans te vind, maar Google lewer wel nuttige skakels op.
It is no easy task to find materials for Afrikaans online, but Google brings up some useful links.
Byvoorbeeld hierdie webwerf: http://www.openlanguages.net/Afrikaans
Such as this site
Taalkursusse soos teachyourself en soortgelyk is ook toegankelik op die internet, jy kan hulle lekker aflaai. :)
You can download courses like the TY-series from the net.
Verder kan ek jou aanbeveel om na radio te luister en koerante te lees as oefening. Dis alles wat die internet te bied het. :)
Further you have the online radio stations and the newspapers that you can use for practice, and that's all what the net has to offer.

Минден кездет нехез.

Meneghis

Postby Meneghis » 2013-01-29, 11:04

Dankie voor die kursus! Ek het ook die "Colloquial Afrikaans" boek, maar dit is 'n goede plek om te begin :D Sorry, my Afrikaans is still very rough, but I'm really fascinated by this wonderful language and I'm doing my best to learn it, though I'm still at a beginning stage. Keep up the good work, it's helping me a lot!
Corrections are welcome

Shiba

Postby Shiba » 2013-11-15, 7:59

Very belatedly, thanks a bunch! :D

I went over my course again the other day, fixed some mistakes (most notably, the genitive of "u" is not "u s'n", but rather "uwe"), and included Afrikaans word order (the same that's in this forum in a sticky thread).

However, it looks like I've covered most of the basics that I can think of, but I'd like to add more lessons. So now I'm asking all readers, what topics do you guys think I should cover next? What would be most useful to you?

Bittereinder

Postby Bittereinder » 2013-11-16, 16:46

I found this document at my university, it might help:
http://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action ... f94405975a
Openbaring 21:6
"Verder sê Hy vir my: Dit het klaar gebeur. Ek is die Alfa en die Omega, die Begin en die Einde. Aan elkeen wat dors het, sal Ek te drinke gee uit die fontein met die water van die lewe, verniet. "

Shiba

Postby Shiba » 2013-11-18, 16:02

Dankie, dit lyk interessant :)

Return to “Afrikaans”