Packa upp/opp

Moderator:Johanna

Kirk
Packa upp/opp

Postby Kirk » 2005-08-28, 1:46

I just looked in a Swedish-English dictionary (online) and it said the Swedish equivalent of English "unpack" is "packa upp/opp," which I thought was interesting, because English "pack up" means the opposite of "unpack!" So, first I just wanted to check and see if the dictionary was right, and also if it is, then can "upp/opp" also be used with other verbs where English would have "un-" before it? Tack :)
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » 2005-08-28, 10:18

Your dictionary is completely right, "packa upp" ("opp" is dialectal or old-fashioned) means "unpack". But no, you can't use "upp" wherever you would use "un-" in English, only with this verb and maybe some others. Generally "un-" is "o-" in Swedish.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2005-08-28, 17:12

I completely agree with Dingbats here. I can't really see any systematic connection between Swedish upp (or opp in some styles) and English un-. As often is the case, one must analyze each individual example.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-08-28, 18:45

Thanks, you two! :) Also, I hadn't realized that "opp" was old fashioned or dialectal.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2005-08-29, 21:35

Actually, upp is older than opp. By some reason - probably due to the fact that the dialects were stronger back then - the spelling was usually opp some period in earlier Modern Swedish but the spelling has in today's Modern Swedish stabilized to upp.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-08-30, 20:31

Hunef wrote:Actually, upp is older than opp. By some reason - probably due to the fact that the dialects were stronger back then - the spelling was usually opp some period in earlier Modern Swedish but the spelling has in today's Modern Swedish stabilized to upp.

Yeah I knew "upp" was the older form, and I'd read several books that said that "opp" was "colloquial" so I assumed it was in common use in the spoken language but maybe it's just restricted to certain dialects now. Thanks for the information :)

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2005-09-01, 20:49

In my dialect, Jamtlandic, upp is pronunced with the vowel [U] (SAMPA), i.e. the same vowel as 'oo' in English 'book'. The spelling opp suggests a pronunciation [O] (SAMPA), i.e. like 'ou' in English 'four'. Standard Swedish pronunciation of upp is [8] (SAMPA).

NB: Some other words in Jamtlandic where u is pronunced [U] (SAMPA): ust 'cheese', bukk 'he-goat', tung 'heavy' etc. (Swedish: ost, bock and tung, respectively.)
Carl Sagan

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2005-09-02, 0:04

Hunef wrote:In my dialect, Jamtlandic, upp is pronunced with the vowel [U] (SAMPA), i.e. the same vowel as 'oo' in English 'book'. The spelling opp suggests a pronunciation [O] (SAMPA), i.e. like 'ou' in English 'four'. Standard Swedish pronunciation of upp is [8] (SAMPA).

NB: Some other words in Jamtlandic where u is pronunced [U] (SAMPA): ust 'cheese', bukk 'he-goat', tung 'heavy' etc. (Swedish: ost, bock and tung, respectively.)

Interesting! Thanks for those descriptions--dialectal differences are fascinating :)

ZombiekE

Postby ZombiekE » 2005-09-02, 17:45

Think you throw your luggage upwards from your case :D

That'd be uppacking :D

I've always used this kind of tricks when learning languages.
Last edited by ZombiekE on 2005-09-02, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Mother tongue: Spanish/Castilian.
Learning: English, French, Chinese.
Got started but put on hold: German, Swedish, Esperanto.
Future: Portuguese (European), Finnish.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2005-09-02, 18:20

The primary verb here is att packa 'to pack, load'. From this verb, or rather from Old Norse equivalent at pakka, one has as time has passed derived secondary forms like packa upp 'unpack', packa av 'unload', packa ur 'unpack; unload', packa ut 'unpack', packa fram 'unpack' etc. (Here, upp 'up', av 'off', ur 'out of', ut 'out', fram 'forward' etc.)
Carl Sagan

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » 2005-09-04, 14:43

There is actually at least one other verb where "upp" equals the English "un-", namely "låsa upp", "unlock". There might be more of them.

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”