Diskussionstråd / Discussion and Minor Questions

Moderator:Johanna

Jurgen Wullenwever
Re: bjuder in till chattar

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2017-02-20, 20:41

Gavril wrote:My best guess is "The agency often invites (people) to chats with experts in the field" or "...offers chats with experts in the field".

Din andra version förefaller vara lämpligast, ehuru jag är obekant med sammanhanget, så helt säker är jag inte.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Gavril

riktvisningar

Postby Gavril » 2017-02-21, 21:41

Hi,

How would you translate the term riktvisningar? I saw it in a sentence like the following (wording slightly changed for privacy's sake):

Leveranstider som anges på sida 7 är riktvisningar och de kan därför variera från dag till dag.

"Delivery times indicated on page 7 are [...?] and they may therefore vary from day to day."

Thanks

Jurgen Wullenwever

Re: riktvisningar

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2017-02-25, 22:28

Gavril wrote:How would you translate the term riktvisningar?

I have never seen or heard that compound, but it seems to mean "approximate guidelines" or something.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Gavril

Re: Diskussionstråd / Discussion and Minor Questions

Postby Gavril » 2017-03-07, 12:43

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the term tumsida?

I encountered it in a document that mentions someone receiving an injury "på högra handryggens tumsida".

My best guess is that this refers to the "thumb-side" (that is, the inner side) of the back of the hand. However, since the term for "thumb" by itself is tumme rather than tum, I am not sure.

Thanks

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2017-03-07, 13:42

You're absolutely correct.

All old weak masculine nouns get that treatment in compounds, they usually lose that final -e and only the stem is used. Cf. kudde - kuddvar. Those nouns end in -e in singular, -ar in plural, and are common gender today.

The reason it also loses an m has to do with spelling, for some reason we often drop the second one in cases like these where a morpheme that starts in a consonant is added right after it. It makes no difference whatsoever for the pronunciation, so my best guess is that someone thought two m's looked clumsy and/or took up too much space, and since you could do away with one, you did.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Gavril

Postby Gavril » 2017-03-08, 10:59

God kväll,

Jag läste en brottsanmälan från Sverige som beskriver bland annat hur en kniv "tog emot i" offerets kropp.

Hittills har jag inte kunnat hitta en engelska översättning av uttrycket "ta emot (i)" i detta sammanhang. Ordboken översätter ta emot som "to receive", en denna översättning verkar inte rätt när subjektet är föremål som kniv.

Hur skulle ni förklara / översätta "ta emot i" här?

Tack

PS - Jag brukar inte skriva på svenska, så jag ber om ursäkt för fel.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2017-03-18, 22:03

Skulle du kunna ge hela omgivningen kring ordet, alltså meningen eller meningarna som omger det?

Gavril

Postby Gavril » 2017-04-19, 4:59

It seems that respektive can sometimes mean "or": for example, in a legal document I read not long ago, there was a request to benämna parterna klagande respektive motpart.

Is there any difference of meaning between respektive and eller (besides the fact that respektive can also mean "respectively"), or at least one of tone/register?

Thanks

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2017-04-19, 16:03

Gavril wrote:It seems that respektive can sometimes mean "or": for example, in a legal document I read not long ago, there was a request to benämna parterna klagande respektive motpart.

Is there any difference of meaning between respektive and eller (besides the fact that respektive can also mean "respectively"), or at least one of tone/register?

Thanks

Actually, it still means "respectively", or rather "x and y respectively", we just put it in a different position, thereby eliminating the need for an "and" in there.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Gavril

Postby Gavril » 2017-04-20, 15:45

Johanna wrote:Actually, it still means "respectively", or rather "x and y respectively", we just put it in a different position, thereby eliminating the need for an "and" in there.

Thanks.

Just one detail I wonder about: in the context I cited, are you sure it doesn't mean "x or y respectively"? I.e., you are designating each respective person as a klagande or a motpart?

Gavril

Postby Gavril » 2017-05-12, 18:22

Hi again,

I've seen "Doha" written in the upper-right corner of Swedish court documents: e.g.,

Mål/Ärende nr: [case number]
Doha [number]

My best guess is that Doha is short for domstolshandläggare, i.e. "court official" / "court clerk" -- in which case the document is listing the ID number of the court official just below the ID number of the case in question.

Can anyone confirm that this reading of "Doha" is correct?

Thanks

justinb1995x

Whatsapp group for learning swedish

Postby justinb1995x » 2017-05-13, 20:32

Hi,
Im creating a whatsapp group for students of the swedish language.
We can share useful material and talk in swedish.
If you are interested you can pm on whatsapp +31653414947
If you have a group let me know.

Thanks.
Justin.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-12, 21:12

Är "partaj" ett lånord från engelskan? Om det ar så, representerar det omstavningen av ett skriftspråksuttal av "party"?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2018-02-12, 22:09

linguoboy wrote:Är "partaj" ett lånord från engelskan? Om det ar så, representerar det omstavningen av ett skriftspråksuttal av "party"?

Skriftspråksuttalet av "party" på svenska är /pɑːrtʏ/, så det är det inte. Om jag inte missminner mig helt är det ett slanguttal av det ordet som spridit sig.

Och japp, det är ett lånord från engelska.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-14, 20:29

Tack, Johanna!

Vad vet du (eller någon annan) om Marcus Birro? Jag hittade sin roman Att leva och dö som Joe Strummer i andrahandsbokhandel idag och fick ett ryck och köpte den.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2018-02-16, 0:10

linguoboy wrote: Tack, Johanna!

Det var så lite :)

linguoboy wrote: Vad vet du (eller någon annan) om Marcus Birro? Jag hittade sin hans roman Att leva och dö som Joe Strummer i andrahandsbokhandel på ett antikvariat idag och fick ett ryck och köpte den.

Jag vet ingenting om honom som författare, men som person... Han är en av de där kända personerna som säger saker av mer och mer tvikelaktig karaktär och till slut målar in sig i ett hörn.

Han är öppen abortmotståndare och sympatiserar med sverigedemokraterna när det kommer till islam. Å andra sidan verkar han vara OK med oss icke-strighta och ville till och med göra det till en valfråga inom kristdemokraterna...

Hur som helst, Att leva och dö som Joe Strummer gavs ut 2010, medan Birro fortfarande var någorlunda vettig :)

langmon

Mutual intelligebility of Swedish and Dutch

Postby langmon » 2018-11-10, 11:46

What is the degree of mutual intelligebility of Swedish and Dutch?
This question is about both written and spoken language.
this is a reboot

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Mutual intelligebility of Swedish and Dutch

Postby Johanna » 2018-11-10, 15:30

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:What is the degree of mutual intelligibility of Swedish and Dutch?

For monolingual speakers? Pretty much zero on both accounts but especially when it comes to the spoken language. It is possible to get a few words in the written one, but full sentences? Nah.

Swedes who know English and German can make out quite a lot of written Dutch however, even if their German is pretty darn rusty. When it comes to the spoken language, however, we're back to zero once more.

langmon

Re: Mutual intelligebility of Swedish and Dutch

Postby langmon » 2018-11-10, 15:38

Johanna wrote:
SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:What is the degree of mutual intelligibility of Swedish and Dutch?

For monolingual speakers? Pretty much zero on both accounts but especially when it comes to the spoken language. It is possible to get a few words in the written one, but full sentences? Nah.

That "monolingual speakers" part contains an important hint, especially in combination with what has been written below, quoting it now :).

Johanna wrote:Swedes who know English and German can make out quite a lot of written Dutch however, even if their German is pretty darn rusty. When it comes to the spoken language, however, we're back to zero once more.

Now when someone is a trilingual speakers, like a native of Swedish who even would know both of English and German, things really can be different, yes.

As for my background, I am a semi-native of Dutch :). Why? Because I am a native of German. And whenever I was pondering about the connection between those two these days, they feel more of one single bigger language to me, and less of two different ones.

As someone who knows both English and Dutch, Swedish, after spending some additional time (not too much even) on learning it, became surprisingly familiar to me. Although I cannot really use it actively yet, it is mainly about passive understanding, and it is especially about written Swedish. Now I don't fully consider it another variant of a bigger language as it is the case with Dutch, but also I don't consider it a fully different language. Not talking about the sole fact that all of those belong to the Germanic family, instead, there is more to it even.
this is a reboot

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-11, 17:08

Some compare the non-phonetic spelling of Swedish to the non-phonetic spelling of French.
Is this a bit of a stretch (i.e. an exaggeration), or is that comparison rather straight-forward?
this is a reboot

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”