Choosing or juggling courses

Moderator:Johanna

Sisu
Choosing or juggling courses

Postby Sisu » 2013-08-02, 17:19

Hej!
I'm about to embark on teaching myself Swedish! I have 3 course books at my disposal- Teach Yourself Swedish, Colloquial Swedish and Hugo Swedish in 3 months. I'm planning on using Teach Yourself as my main course, as it's the course I have audio for. I'm wondering if it is worth trying to use the Hugo and Colloquial simultaneously, or just leaving them to the side. Or even if it would be better to find the audio for the Colloquial Swedish. Does anyone have any advice for using 3 books at once? Or any opinions on the courses? I've never been particularly successful at teaching myself, so I'm determined to get it right this time! Tack.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Re: Choosing or juggling courses

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2013-08-02, 19:34

I would guess that any practice with the target language has a positive influence, and whether you use one source or many sources is irrelevant, although many sources might lead to a wider knowledge than just the one source, so I am positive to your approach. :)
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Halfdan

Re: Choosing or juggling courses

Postby Halfdan » 2013-08-11, 17:16

I can vouche for Swedish in Three Months. It presents all of the necessary grammatical aspects of Swedish with useful examples and is well organised. The only problem I have with it is that it lacks in vocabulary (as opposed to Colloquial Swedish, which almost presents too much vocabulary at an early stage). So, I'd suggest using it in conjunction with another course.

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”