Recommendations for sites to practice speaking Swedish?

Moderator:Johanna

Hereward
Recommendations for sites to practice speaking Swedish?

Postby Hereward » 2013-03-04, 4:15

Hej!

I've spent some time learning Swedish before but have let it drift for the last year or two. Now i've decided to restart it and hopefully come some way to fluency. Reading and writing practice is easy, but there's a distinct lack of Swedes around here, so where would be a good place to try and arrange skype conversations with native Swedes?

I have a lot of spare time at the moment so i'm really going to throw myself into it, and nothing forces you to learn quicker than actually having to speak the language you're learning.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out here. :)

Matt
Roll the dice.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Re: Recommendations for sites to practice speaking Swedish?

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2013-03-04, 19:21

Hereward wrote:there's a distinct lack of Swedes around here

There are some 50 000 Swedes working in London, but they might be hard to reach.

Hereward wrote:where would be a good place to try and arrange skype conversations with native Swedes?

I was asked this precise question recently by someone else, but I had no idea what to answer. Would there be any particular quality required in these conversations, or just speaking practice, and being able to hear real Swedish, as opposed to official stuff?
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Hereward

Postby Hereward » 2013-03-05, 18:41

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:
Hereward wrote:there's a distinct lack of Swedes around here

There are some 50 000 Swedes working in London, but they might be hard to reach.

Hereward wrote:where would be a good place to try and arrange skype conversations with native Swedes?

I was asked this precise question recently by someone else, but I had no idea what to answer. Would there be any particular quality required in these conversations, or just speaking practice, and being able to hear real Swedish, as opposed to official stuff?

Slightly off topic, but in answer to your first point it's odd how Swedish people think there are so many Swedes in London. I have a Swedish friend who was an au pair in London for a while who was adamant there were 500,000 Swedes in London. According to official statistics there are only 25,000 Swedes in the entire UK.

Regardless i'm not in London all the time and will soon be travelling in Australia for a little while. :?

I personally just want to be able to practice speaking in a live environment with someone who will have patience with my basic Swedish.
Roll the dice.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2013-03-06, 17:12

Hereward wrote:Slightly off topic, but in answer to your first point it's odd how Swedish people think there are so many Swedes in London. I have a Swedish friend who was an au pair in London for a while who was adamant there were 500,000 Swedes in London. According to official statistics there are only 25,000 Swedes in the entire UK.

Oh, I see. I only heard someone on the radio giving the 50 000 number, but that person was apparently misinformed. :(

Hereward wrote:I personally just want to be able to practice speaking in a live environment with someone who will have patience with my basic Swedish.

If there is a demand for it, I might be able to help with this. At least, I am a native speaker, and I meet people, who have been learning Swedish as adults, almost every day
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

globetrottersara

Postby globetrottersara » 2013-07-28, 16:25

If you are in the Bristol-Bath-Swindon-Cheltenham area, there are quite a few Swedes around. I'm part of a group with both Swedes and people of various nationalities, interested in learning Swedish or already fluent. We organise classes (beginners and intermediate) and also monthly events.
I also know there is a quite strong Swedish (+ other Scandinavians) community in the LIverpool-Manchester area.
Let me know in which are you are, I can ask around :-)
Native [flag]it[/flag] Fluent [flag]en[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] Very basic [flag]pt[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] Currently studying [flag]sv[/flag]

akira

Postby akira » 2013-07-30, 18:08

They said on the News that there are now 1 million Swedish people living in London :o

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-07-30, 21:02

1 million? No.

Up to 50,000? Possibly.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”