A diminutive form of a nickname

Moderator:Johanna

Basic
A diminutive form of a nickname

Postby Basic » 2012-08-21, 9:46

Hello,

I'm afraid I have absolutely no background in Swedish but am trying to pick up a few things. Fortunately, someone's helping me out but I wanted to offer a little surprise.

I've been trying to translate "Hello trouble" (trouble being a nickname) into swedish, preferably using a diminutive form (I assume that's appropriate, being a nickname)

The closest I've come is Tjéna olägenhet (or should it be bråkstake?)

Wikipedia (not the best resource) indicates a suffix of -is for diminutive (olägenhis?). Google translate doesn't recognise that so I assume it's wrong. Another article suggested the hypocoristic form is only applied to male names by shortening the first syllable (if long).

Would someone with a moment to spare please help me out?

Many thanks

Dingbats

Re: A diminutive form of a nickname

Postby Dingbats » 2012-08-21, 11:10

First of all, "olägenhet" is a bit too long and formal. I'd suggest "trubbel", which is obviously the same word as English "trouble". It doesn't have quite the same connotations, but it's closer than "olägenhet" (which is more like "inconvenience").

I don't know about how to best make a nickname out of it. "-is" is really more for nouns, so if you said "trubblis" (acute accent), it would be more of a description than a proper name. Maybe that's what you're going for? Anyway, that word form doesn't sound too natural to my ears.

If it's a girl, you could go with "Trubblan" (grave accent). For guys it's not as easy, maybe "Trubblo" (acute)? I don't know how widespread that type of nickname is.

I don't think there's any way you can translate it literally enough and still have it sound natural in Swedish, that kind of expression is not really part of Swedish culture. "Tjena bråkstake" works and sounds normal if you want it to mean "Hello troublemaker" (as a noun). (Note that there's no accent on the e.) That may well be the best way of translating it, since Swedish is not as heavy on the nickname thing as English.

Basic

Re: A diminutive form of a nickname

Postby Basic » 2012-08-21, 11:17

Thanks for taking the time to give such a complete response - much appreciated!

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”