Where to begin?

Moderator:Johanna

melinuxfool
Where to begin?

Postby melinuxfool » 2012-04-24, 14:38

I'd like to begin learning Swedish but I don't really have any idea where to begin? I already know a tiny bit of Icelandic (declensions are a little fuzzy to me right now, it's been a while since I've practiced), so I think that may help me in studying another Scandinavian tongue.

I'm looking for books and audio especially. It'd be nice if some cultural aspects were thrown in with the lessons, also, since I believe learning a language requires more than just learning words and grammar. Online is a good supplement, but I don't really enjoy studying in front of a computer unless it is very well structured, or for writing practice, like here on Unilang.

Would a Maine-iac like me be comfortable spending any significant time in Sweden? For anyone who doesn't know, Maine is the second northernmost state in the U.S. How much of a culture-shock would it be?

Jurgen Wullenwever

Re: Where to begin?

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2012-04-24, 18:01

melinuxfool wrote:How much of a culture-shock would it be?

We are Americanised, but the Americanisation is limited to the grotesque stuff shown in movies and television series, so it is a little tilted. :|

(I really have no idea, otherwise. :shock: )

Swedes might generally be hillbillies and honkytonk rednecks, sort of ...

I would guess that Swedish society is rather anti-social and isolating, compared to other countries, but I am not social at all, so what ways people have of meeting others, are unknown to me.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

EuroChild

Postby EuroChild » 2012-04-24, 18:32

melinuxfool wrote:I'd like to begin learning Swedish but I don't really have any idea where to begin?..

I'm looking for books and audio especially. It'd be nice if some cultural aspects were thrown in with the lessons, also, since I believe learning a language requires more than just learning words and grammar...

Hello there )

You said an online supplemet will be good.. maybe this guy's videos http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeakSwedishStupid will be interesting for you as an American.

He is also an American but he's been living in Sweden for three years now and Swedes find it difficult to believe that he's American, so advanced his Swedish is. :) He is sharing some of his secrets on the language and experiences as an American in Sweden on youtube. maybe you will find it interesting and inspiring. :)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2012-04-24, 22:30

From what I can hear, there are a number of things that tell me that he's no native, but for someone who started learning the language that late, he's pretty good :)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

EuroChild

Postby EuroChild » 2012-04-25, 21:39

Johanna wrote:From what I can hear, there are a number of things that tell me that he's no native, but for someone who started learning the language that late, he's pretty good :)

wow, you probably have a really good ear. :) cause I frequently see comments on his youtube videos of Swedes accusing him of being a Swede and doing a poor imitation of an american. :lol:

anyways, Swedish or American there's no better teacher on the internet! I've searched and searched...

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2012-04-25, 23:12

melinuxfool wrote:Would a Maine-iac like me be comfortable spending any significant time in Sweden? For anyone who doesn't know, Maine is the second northernmost state in the U.S. How much of a culture-shock would it be?
Well, Main Street of your hometown doesn't look too much different from the "Main Street" of the capital of my municipality. (OK, your town looks much older since my municipality capital was a farm field surrounded railway station 100 years ago, but apart from that not much different.) I guess the culture-shock would be minor to you, or at least not greater than any other non-Nordic person visiting a Nordic country.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

salieri

Postby salieri » 2012-04-27, 1:53

I am also interested in learning the basics of the language, especially when it comes to writing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tack så mycket! :)

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”