Nice pronunciation

Moderator:Johanna

Woods
Nice pronunciation

Postby Woods » 2011-10-31, 16:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uME3Npa2 ... re=related

Is this guy Danish or is it okay to speak like that in Sweden?

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Nice pronunciation

Postby Johanna » 2011-10-31, 17:16

He has a Scanian accent, so yes he's a native Swedish speaker, and it's perfectly OK to speak like that :)

I can understand why you thought it might be Danish, the traditional Scanian dialects are East Danish rather than Swedish, but nowadays very few speak those, instead they speak Standard Swedish with a regional accent, like the one in the recording.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2011-10-31, 18:53

Johanna wrote:He has a Scanian accent

I would rather guess that he is from Blekinge, but it was a while since I heard people from those places.

And what would sound like Danish in that? It was extremely standard Standard Swedish.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » 2011-10-31, 19:01

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:And what would sound like Danish in that? It was extremely standard Standard Swedish.

Okay, now you're exaggerating. It's pretty much the standard regional accent, but it's not what anyone would claim is a 'neutral' accent.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2011-10-31, 23:32

Johanna wrote:He has a Scanian accent, so yes he's a native Swedish speaker [...]
I wouldn't draw such a conclusion without further knowledge on his background (he may be Danish or Japanese speaking natively for all we know). But yeah, he definitely speaks Standard Swedish (with a southern touch - as a northerner it could be anything south of Jönköping in my ears).
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Woods

Postby Woods » 2011-11-07, 3:13

The guy is from Helsingborg.

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”