Bilingual books for learners

Moderator:Johanna

Quevenois
Bilingual books for learners

Postby Quevenois » 2010-01-30, 0:09

God kväll

I'm looking for books in easy Swedish, maybe books for children or bilingual books for learners (Swedish/English). I'd be interested in books like folktales and things about Swedish folklore etc (I guess there are many books like that for children).
Could someone suggest some titles to me?

Tack så mycket!
אַ שפראַך איז אַ דיאַלעקט מיט אַן אַרמײ און פֿלאָט

Jurgen Wullenwever

Re: Bilingual books for learners

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2010-01-30, 15:23

I hope that someone is able to suggest some titles.

For my part, the only bilingual Swedish/English books that I have seen are the New Testament of the Bible, and some books with mostly images either describing cultural stuff or made for tourists.

I know nothing of things in Easy Swedish, but I have read that there are such items.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-01-30, 18:44

I believe "Naiv, Super." by Erlend Loe was translated into Swedish, and it is a good novel with many pages and simple speech, so if you could find that, I'd recommend you get it. :)
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

hashi

Postby hashi » 2010-01-30, 23:16

I have a short book called Håll fingarna borta, cassanova! which I've managed to chew through quite a bit of without difficulty, and it's quite funny :)
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

thoughtsafar

Postby thoughtsafar » 2010-03-28, 17:17

Here is a great site I like to use that has several children's books in many different languages. They are not bilingual, but a lot of languages have many of the same books and thus could be used comparatively. It's not a huge selection but it will get you started. The interface can be changed to several different languages as well.

http://www.childrenslibrary.org/icdl/SimpleSearchCategory?ilang=English
Comfortable: English, German, Dutch
Working on: Italian, Mandarin
On hiatus: Swedish, Spanish, French, Russian
Ancient languages: Latin, Ancient Greek, Old English
Waiting not-so-patiently to start: Welsh, Romanian, Slovene, Zulu

lyzazel

Postby lyzazel » 2014-01-10, 0:03

Hello. I suggest you try my Interlinear Swedish Bilingual Book. The story by Selma Lagerlöf isn't too complicated, thus it should be easy enough to read.
Check out my project with interlinear translations (or, you could say, 'subtitled books') at Interlinear Books

ittolaja

Postby ittolaja » 2016-03-31, 2:29

In general bilingual books are ok, but I can get frustrated by parallel texts with free translation, which don't have the meaning of the original Swedish words.

I think if you have word-for-word translated books like the ones on interlinearbooks.com and the ones we have on our own site (see my signature), you can learn a language very fast.

And I mean manually translated word-for-word texts, as sites with google translated stories often miss meanings or have them incorrect or out of context or conjugation, which interrupts immersion.

The fact that the translation is word-for-word means that there's no look-up time, although I admit you will need some experience and discipline to refrain from checking the interlinear unnecessarily.

Words are learned in context and the association of a story helps memorizing them more easily than if they were learned from a list or flash cards.

Re-read such word-for-word translated books every x days and you'll see that you start to understand the text.

The only problem I have is that there's too little word-for-word material out there. That's my personal reason why I started making it. :)
Find Basque, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Swedish story e-books and reading-listening-practice software at Learn-to-read-foreign-languages.com !

Pandora

Postby Pandora » 2016-05-06, 7:16

Moi, moi!

There actually are easy-read Swedish books! You can find them at lattlast.se, though the site is in Swedish. They do ship to the States, but it might be rather expensive.
Would love help with: [flag=]sv[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]es-ar[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag]
Previous knowledge in/may pick up again later: [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]fi[/flag]
Will probably eventually need help with/want to learn: [flag=]is[/flag] [flag=]af[/flag]

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”