vandrouc/vandrovec

Moderator:Ashucky

anb
vandrouc/vandrovec

Postby anb » 2011-03-09, 15:52

hello all!
i'm trying to learn the meaning of these words.
could anyone help me out?
thank you

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Re: vandrouc/vandrovec

Postby gothwolf » 2011-03-09, 19:15

Hm, "vandrouc" doesn't look lika a Slovenian word but I could be mistaken. Anyway I think both of the words come from the verb "vandrati" which means "to wander", "to meander", "to ramble"...

anb

Postby anb » 2011-03-09, 20:24

hi and thank you :-)
i found several pages, written in slovenian, with these words, that's why i came to this forum.
and your great suggestion led me to find this as well:

vándrovec -vca m (ā) nižje pog. 1. popotnik: sprejeti vandrovca; biti večni vandrovec 2. kdor opravlja svoje delo, službo tako, da se premika iz kraja v kraj: vandrovca sta igrala na harmoniko / obrtniški vandrovec potujoči obrtnik ♪

(from this site)

is there anyone who could help me understand the above text?
by the way, i'm searching for possible origins of a surname.
thanks again!

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2011-03-09, 21:16

Hey! Those are Slovene words, "vandrovec" is the standard version, "vandrouc" or "vandrovc" are colloquial versions. As gothwolf said, they are connected to the verb "vandrati" (literally, to bum (around/about the world); to wander), so "vandrovec" means "wanderer, traveller".

anb wrote:vándrovec -vca m (ā) nižje pog. 1. popotnik: sprejeti vandrovca; biti večni vandrovec 2. kdor opravlja svoje delo, službo tako, da se premika iz kraja v kraj: vandrovca sta igrala na harmoniko / obrtniški vandrovec = potujoči obrtnik ♪

vándrovec - lower colloquial register of speech; 1. traveller/wanderer: to welcome a traveller; to be a perpetual traveller, 2. a person who does their work, job by means of moving from place to place: travellers played the accordion / crafting traveller = travelling craftsman

I hope the above helps. :)

Origins of what surname are you searching for, exactly?
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

anb

Postby anb » 2011-03-10, 16:35

thanks a million, Ashucky!

my grandmother's surname is Vandrovec, actually. her parents emigrated from current-day Czech Republic and the language they spoke at home was Czech. she always told me that it meant "wanderer" but i was curious about the etymology/origin of the word.

in Czech, there are similar words like:
vandrák - wanderer
vandrovat - journey
vandrovat - wander
vandrovník - hobo (USA)
but I've only heard "Vandrovec" used as a surname among Czechs.

recently, i came across the word "vandrovec" on a website written in Slovenian and that sparked my curiosity :-) i don't have any Slovenian friends to ask, so i came here. it's a great site, by the way! i am not a Vandrovec, but i am a... (let me try!) poučevanje vándrovca.

could you tell me if "vandrovec" is used as a surname in Slovenia? any other info you have would be nice. it's fun to learn about words and languages and find the connections.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2011-03-10, 19:46

No problem! It's why we're here :) I'm glad you like our site, and I hope to see you around here more ;)

Slovene has some similar words to Czech, deriving from "vandr-", as well. I found 7 words in my dictionary but they are rarely used nowadays; if they are, they usually have some negative connotation.

I checked the origins of the words and of all the Slavics, only Czech and Slovene seem have words deriving from vandr-, and after some searching my conclusion is that it's a German (or Germanic) loanword in both languages, most likely from German wandern, which comes from Proto-Germanic *wandrōnan (now as English: wander, Swedish: vandra, Danish: vandre, etc.). It means more or less the same in all languages.

What's for the surname "Vandrovec", it seems it's not used as a surname in Slovenia. I checked a few sources and I didn't get much. I found a surname "Vandravc" but it hasn't been attested in the country since 1814, and also "Vandrovše" which hasn't been attested since 1783.

anb wrote:but i am a... (let me try!) poučevanje vándrovca.

That ... didn't make much sense :P Did you mean something like "wandering student"?
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

anb

Postby anb » 2011-03-12, 7:36

:blush: no, i meant teacher! wow, i get the teach and learn verbs mixed up in every language.

that's interesting about the surnames. i wonder if they wandered over to bohemia and set up camp there?!

thanks for your help!

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2011-03-12, 22:50

Hehe, it happens.

učiti = to teach
učiti se = to learn (reflexive)
učenje = learning (noun)
poučevanje = teaching (noun)

And they probably just wandered to Bohemia and saw it's a nice little piece of land, and decided to settle down :D

włóczykij

Postby włóczykij » 2011-12-07, 17:33

Polish also have words (I think) from german "wandern":
wędrowiec
Wędrować

Return to “Slovenian (Slovenski)”