Slovenski Kotiček (Slovenian Corner)

Moderator:Ashucky

LackOfFuel
Re: Slovenski Kotiček (Slovenian Corner)

Postby LackOfFuel » 2012-05-15, 12:11

Malce sem razširil stran za slovenščino na UniLang Wikiju. Kaj pravite?
Smisel življenja je ležanje na plaži. 8-)

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2012-06-24, 20:20

Malo pozen odgovor ... ampak zgleda dobro :P
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

LackOfFuel

Postby LackOfFuel » 2012-06-29, 15:28

Hehe, hvala. :mrgreen:
Torej, poletje se je začelo. Imate kakšne načrte?

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2012-07-24, 20:22

LackOfFuel wrote:Torej, poletje se je začelo. Imate kakšne načrte?

Jaz bom letos šel na dopust na Hrvaško in v Črno goro. Mogoče mi pa uspe, da bom jeseni šel na Štajersko. Rad bi videl kaj se dogaja v okviru Evropske prestolnice kulture.
I'd appreciate any corrections to my messages!
Vi sarò molto grato per ogni correzione!
Zelo vam bom hvaležen za popravke!
Aş fi recunoscător pentru orice corectare!
Bio bih vam veoma zahvalan na ispravkama!

LackOfFuel

Postby LackOfFuel » 2012-07-29, 8:12

No, super. Kam pa greš na dopust na Hrvaško? :)
In če se jeseni slučajno znajdeš na štajerskem oz. v Mariboru, povej, kako je tam. Po pravici povedano, sploh ne vem, kaj se naj bi tam dogajalo v okviru evropske prestolnice kulture. :?

PiotrR

Postby PiotrR » 2014-03-21, 20:40

How do you pronounce Telekom Slovenije? To me, in the first word it sounds like the first vowel is stressed, and it's a short close-mid [e]. But then there's no /e/ in standard Slovenian, just a long /eː/.

The second word to me sounds like /slɔˈveːnijɛ/.

Is it /ˈteːlɛkɔm slɔˈveːnijɛ/? Or is the second vowel in Telekom a schwa?
Last edited by PiotrR on 2014-04-02, 2:11, edited 1 time in total.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2014-03-23, 19:55

In the standard language, yes, it should be /ˈteːlɛkɔm slɔˈveːnijɛ/, but keep in mind that standard Slovene is not really a spoken language, so the pronunciation is often influenced by one's native dialectal pronunciation and some dialects neutralise the vowel length difference, my own native dialect is one of those, for example.

Also, both [e] and [o] (not /e/ and /o/ though) do exist even in the standard language but they are restricted to a few special words.
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

PiotrR

Postby PiotrR » 2014-03-25, 1:56

Hvala!

I've got another question. What is the standard pronunciation of the old name of PrvaLiga, that is Liga Si.mobil Vodafone?

For now, all I know is /ˈliːga ? ?/. I'm almost sure that Si.mobil is /si mɔˈbiːl/, that's what I hear in their advertisements. I don't know about Vodafone, but for me it's logical that you'd try to approximate the standard British pronunciation as best as you could - that'd be /ˈvoːdafɔn/.

My guess is /ˈliːga si mɔˈbiːl ˈvoːdafɔn/.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2014-03-26, 1:23

PiotrR wrote:My guess is /ˈliːga si mɔˈbiːl ˈvoːdafɔn/.
You're quite right. Although I think that Si.mobil is usually treated as a single word with the primary stress on the first syllable and a secondary stress on the last syllable of the word, so: /ˈliːga ˈsiːmɔˌbil ˈʋoːdafɔn/.

PiotrR

Postby PiotrR » 2014-03-26, 20:51

Thanks. Does mobil really have a short vowel though? Slovenski pravopis writes words with mobil with <ı̑ >, a character for /iː/ pronounced with a rising tone.

Unless a secondary stress doesn't count as a stress? I know that only stressed vowels can be long.

Maan, what a mindfuck.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2014-03-27, 12:11

If it's just the word itself, then it's mobíl, but Si.mobil is usually treated as a single word, not even a compound because it's short, so símobil. I definitely don't pronounce the second i as a long vowel, it's just [ˈsiːmɔˌbil] and not [ˈsiːmɔˌbiːl] (this sounds completely wrong). It's possible it's actually somewhere inbetween, slightly shortened but not short like unstressed vowels. xD But don't worry, vowel length in Slovene is more of a marginal feature, as long as you stress the right syllable, it works just fine.

If you want, I can record the phrase so you can hear it how it sounds.

PiotrR

Postby PiotrR » 2014-03-28, 0:27

Ashucky wrote:If it's just the word itself, then it's mobíl, but Si.mobil is usually treated as a single word, not even a compound because it's short, so símobil.

Ok. According to what I've read, that results in a short vowel in mobil, because long vowels are possible only in stressed syllables.

Ashucky wrote:But don't worry, vowel length in Slovene is more of a marginal feature, as long as you stress the right syllable, it works just fine.

I understand, but standard pronunciation does have a phonemic length distinction. I'm trying to model my accent on it.

Ashucky wrote:If you want, I can record the phrase so you can hear it how it sounds.

Good idea! Hearing it pronounced by a native speaker certainly won't hurt :D

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2014-03-28, 18:24

PiotrR wrote:
Ashucky wrote:If it's just the word itself, then it's mobíl, but Si.mobil is usually treated as a single word, not even a compound because it's short, so símobil.

Ok. According to what I've read, that results in a short vowel in mobil, because long vowels are possible only in stressed syllables.
Pretty much. Although compound words do have two stresses, but I'm not sure how the length actually works there (my native pronunciation doesn't help here).

PiotrR wrote:
Ashucky wrote:But don't worry, vowel length in Slovene is more of a marginal feature, as long as you stress the right syllable, it works just fine.

I understand, but standard pronunciation does have a phonemic length distinction. I'm trying to model my accent on it.
True. And good luck, though! :) But at the same time I should point out that there's some serious debate whether vowel length really is phonemic even in the standard pronunciation (the traditionalists say there is, of course) or just allophones of short vowels in stressed syllables.

PiotrR wrote:
Ashucky wrote:If you want, I can record the phrase so you can hear it how it sounds.

Good idea! Hearing it pronounced by a native speaker certainly won't hurt :D
I'm attachign the file. I hope my pronunciation is clear enough. I don't think I have any real vowel length, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-04-04, 15:37

Hello everyone, I have a question (I know nothing about the language so sorry if it may seem idiotic): does Slovenian have vowel reduction like Russian?

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2014-04-05, 22:04

IpseDixit wrote:Hello everyone, I have a question (I know nothing about the language so sorry if it may seem idiotic): does Slovenian have vowel reduction like Russian?
There's some significant vowel reduction but it depends on the dialect, some have more, some have less. But it's not the same as in Russian. Vowels tend either to simply disappear (often together with some consonants) or get turned to schwas, which applies to stressed vowels as well, so you get stressed schwas too.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-04-22, 7:53

Thanks for the info!

Saim

Postby Saim » 2015-08-06, 18:07

Ali mi lahko priporočite nekaj (posebej serij, ampak tudi filmov) da gledam v slovenščini? Nočem gledati preresnih serij/filmov, ampak komedije. Če mogoče v standardnom/jasnom jeziku, ker moja slovenščina še ni tako dobra.

Lahko priporočite tudi sinhronizacije (rad gledam risane filme v tujih jezikah; to poletje sem gledal celo serijo "Teen Titans" sinhronizirano v italijanščini iz nostalgije in radi priložnosti uriti italijansko, in všeč so mi bili Ledeno kraljevstvo in Vrvež v moji glavi v srbščini), če vete kje jih najti.

Hvala vnaprej.

trance0

Postby trance0 » 2015-08-23, 23:03

Saim wrote:Ali mi lahko priporočite nekaj (posebej serij, ampak tudi filmov), ki jih lahko gledam v slovenščini? Nočem gledati preresnih serij/filmov, ampak komedije. Če je (le) mogoče v standardnem/jasnem jeziku, ker moja slovenščina še ni tako dobra.

Lahko priporočite tudi sinhronizacije. Rad gledam risane filme v tujih jezikih; to poletje sem gledal celo serijo "Teen Titans" sinhronizirano v italijanščino, iz nostalgije in zaradi priložnosti uriti italijansko. Všeč sta mi bila (tudi) Ledeno kraljevstvo in Vrvež v moji glavi v srbščini. Če veste, kje ju najti, (se priporočam).

Hvala vnaprej.

Samo nekaj manjših dobronamernih popravkov. :wink:

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-11-10, 17:35

Hi! this is my first question on Slovenian, but as I will be working with a Slovenian company in the future, then maybe you'll see more of me now...

First, does "jap" have a meaning? My Slovenian partner uses it a lot!
Okay, thank you! :)
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2016-11-14, 11:28

I hope you don't get lost in too much Slovenian :D

And I'd guess "jap" simply means "yeah", like English yup.

Return to “Slovenian (Slovenski)”