Lithuanian names / Lietuviški vardai

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-01-12, 18:54

Yeah, these are called namedays. Nameday of mine is on 15.07 and 01.10 :)

Jimbolia71

Postby Jimbolia71 » 2006-01-12, 19:01

Ok now I understand, thank you very much vicza, egidijus and Mantaz. I'm sorry I didn't get it in the 1st time but now I see the meaning of the date, actually I'm an orthodox but offcorse we also have the same "memorials" or name days or onomastic days..like 8 november Saint Michael and Gabriel (my name is Mihai = Michael - Romanian)
thank you! :oops:

Little by little i become fascinated by Lithuania :lol:

vicza

Postby vicza » 2006-01-12, 20:29

Mantaz wrote:Yeah, these are called namedays. Nameday of mine is on 15.07 and 01.10 :)

Bet juk Mantas -- tai lietuviškas vardas. T.y. ne bažnytinis. Ką gi reiškia tie namedays? Su kuo jie yra susiję?

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-01-12, 20:40

vicza wrote:
Mantaz wrote:Yeah, these are called namedays. Nameday of mine is on 15.07 and 01.10 :)

Bet juk Mantas -- tai lietuviškas vardas. T.y. ne bažnytinis. Ką gi reiškia tie namedays? Su kuo jie yra susiję?

Tiesą sakant ne lietuviškas, bet prūsiškas (nuo Montė; nežinau, ar būtent tai įtakojo dabartinį mano didelį susidomėjimą prūsų kalba). Tiesą sakant, negaliu atsakyti į tavo klausimą dėl vardadienių, gal kas nors kitas žinos?

Jimbolia71

Postby Jimbolia71 » 2006-01-12, 20:45

Nice language..that I can say :)
What are you talking about people?! :shock:

Liisi

Postby Liisi » 2006-01-12, 21:21

Mantaz wrote:Tiesą sakant, negaliu atsakyti į tavo klausimą dėl vardadienių, gal kas nors kitas žinos?

Suomijoje irgi svenčiami vardadieniai. Tai yra ne tik tiems, kurių vardai iš Biblijos: visi populiariausi vardai turi savo dieną. Man atrodo, kad suomių vardadienai niekaip nesusiję su religija. Gal ir Lietuvoje taip?

In Finland we have name days, too. That's not only for those who have names from the Bible: all of the most popular names have their own day. It seems to me that the Fínnish name days are not connected with religion in any way. Maybe it's the same in Lithuania?

Jimbolia71 wrote:Nice language..that I can say
What are you talking about people?!

Jie kalbasi apie tai, ką reiškia vardadieniai.

They are discussing what the name days mean.
I appreciate corrections to my mistakes in any language.

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-01-12, 21:25

Oh, sorry for moving to Lithuanian language ;) Liisi, in Lithuania they are also not realted to religion :)

Jimbolia71

Postby Jimbolia71 » 2006-01-12, 21:31

no problem, thanks to Liisi's traductions i began learning lithuanian a little bit :lol: and it doesnt seem that hard... btw lithuanian is the closest to what other language? russian? it doesnt seem so... for example for a Romanian, italian (then spanish and even french) is so damn easy to learn...actually we dont need any learning for understanding italian..its fascinating...
excuse me for the offtopic..i ve got carryied away, sorry!

In Romania we only have name days for religous related names, unfortunately for some :twisted:

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-01-12, 21:41

Jimbolia71 wrote:no problem, thanks to Liisi's traductions i began learning lithuanian a little bit :lol: and it doesnt seem that hard... btw lithuanian is the closest to what other language? russian? it doesnt seem so... for example for a Romanian, italian (then spanish and even french) is so damn easy to learn...actually we dont need any learning for understanding italian..its fascinating...
excuse me for the offtopic..i ve got carryied away, sorry!

In Romania we only have name days for religous related names, unfortunately for some :twisted:

It's closest to Latvian, as well a Baltic language. Then go all the Slavic languages, Romance and then Germanic :)

vicza

Postby vicza » 2006-01-13, 7:03

Jimbolia71 wrote:In Romania we only have name days for religous related names, unfortunately for some

It seems to be a custom of Orthodox countries. In Russia, too, only Christian names (and only Orthodox ones) have namedays. But in Lithuania even priests can have a national (i.e. non-Church's) name. I don't know, how can it be.

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-01-13, 7:08

vicza wrote:
Jimbolia71 wrote:In Romania we only have name days for religous related names, unfortunately for some

It seems to be a custom of Orthodox countries. In Russia, too, only Christian names (and only Orthodox ones) have namedays. But in Lithuania even priests can have a national (i.e. non-Church's) name. I don't know, how can it be.

Well, all the christians whose name is not christian, gets the second name which is christian. And I guess what concerns church business, the christian name is usually in use.

egidijus

Postby egidijus » 2006-01-13, 16:51

Well I think that in Lithuania like in Finland name-days are not related to church, maybe just those which are saint, and other names are marked by another system. For example my name is also not lithuanian, but greek...

vicza

Postby vicza » 2006-01-13, 17:53

egidijus wrote:Well I think that in Lithuania like in Finland name-days are not related to church, maybe just those which are saint, and other names are marked by another system. For example my name is also not lithuanian, but greek...

But Egidius is related to Church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Giles

egidijus

Postby egidijus » 2006-01-13, 18:18

vicza wrote:But Egidius is related to Church.

Thats an interesting information, I never knew that.
However there are still real lithuanian names, that cant be associated whith church like Žygvilas,Žara, Saulė and so on...:)

vicza

Postby vicza » 2006-07-02, 20:20

Tęsiant temą apie Geltoną. :)

Skaitau viename jos interviu:

Ar tai reiškia, kad tapsi Edilija Šliaudieriene?

Taip, rinksiuosi vyro pavardę. Na, nebent šaus į galvą pasilikti dar ir mergautinę... Bet tikrai neketinu pasirinkti pavardę su nūdien neva madinga galūne "ė". Man tai skamba kvailai ir atrodo visiškai nereikalinga. Būti "iene" daug smagiau: paprasta, aišku, lietuviška.

Apie kokią madą ji čia sako? Juk ir taip lietuviškų moterių pavardės baigiasi "ė" raide. Ar čia kokia nors nauja galūnė?

Aszev

Postby Aszev » 2006-07-02, 20:55

I have a question, I once read a book that had a little note on a situation in Lithuania. It was a woman that was about to marry a guy, but she wanted to use his name with the masculine ending still there, and not add an '-iene'(I think). However the note never said how it ended, so I was wondering if anyone of you knows this.

Starlin

Postby Starlin » 2006-07-02, 21:37

vicza: palyginus neseniai leista moterims turėti "neutralią" pavardę, pvz. Balandytė ir Balandienė virsta pavarde Balandė. Ir vis dažniau kur nors spaudoje kyšteli tokia pavardė...

Aszev, my answer to vicza actually partly answers your question, so I'll simply translate it:

Not a long time ago, a law was issued that has allowed women to change their surname into a neutral one. For example, Balandytė (unmarried) and Balandienė (married) both turn into Balandė. Such surnames pop out every now and then, and I believe their number is increasing.

I can add to that, that there still are some women who bear masculine surnames, the most famous probably being Aurelija Simutis (should be Aurelija Simutienė, or in the new "neutral" fashion - Aurelija Simutė). But they married, I believe, abroad, so that's why they're allowed to keep those surnames.

Personally, I don't like all those new fashions. Although the -ienė ending is not a very archaic one and actually the "neutral" -ė was used long time ago (though it was for unmarried women with children :roll: ), I think it's part of our culture now, and I enjoy explaining foreigners what all those Lithuanian surnames are about ;)

P.S. vicza, a small mistake: lietuviškų moterių -> lietuvių moterų
Gimtoji (native): Lietuvių (Lithuanian)
Laisvai (fluent): English
Pažengusi (advanced): 中文 (Chinese)
Skaitau (passive reading knowledge): Русский, Deutch, Español, Français
Senų senovėj (dabbled in): Quenya, Sindarin, Classic Tibetan, Hungarian, Japanese...

vicza

Postby vicza » 2006-07-03, 16:23

Starlin wrote:vicza: palyginus neseniai leista moterims turėti "neutralią" pavardę, pvz. Balandytė ir Balandienė virsta pavarde Balandė. Ir vis dažniau kur nors spaudoje kyšteli tokia pavardė...

Aišku, ačiū. Aš taip ir pagalvojau, bet labai jau keista matosi tokios pavardės. :)

desper

Postby desper » 2006-07-05, 15:04

Kadangi vistiek niekas neturi ką rašyt, pataisysiu:
keista matosi tokios pavardės - keistai atrodo tokios pavardės

Suniukas

Postby Suniukas » 2006-08-18, 19:03

It was said earlier in this thread that Lithuanian has strong ties to latin and exapmles are given to certain words.

Why is it that a lot of the words that have been added over the last 100 years or so all have strong ties to english, not latin,

e.g.

Automobile - Automobilis
Mobile - Mobilus
Telephone - Telefonas
Computer - Komputerie

etc

i know my spelling on the Lithuanian words is not perfect but ya get the picture.

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”