Lithuanian names / Lietuviški vardai

エヴァルダス

Postby エヴァルダス » 2006-08-18, 19:31

Šuniuk, the situation is much more complicated than that. Actually, it is not that easy to find a purely germanic word in English as the vast majority of English vocabulary (50-60%) came from French or Latin. Those international words you mentioned are based on the Latin/Greek lexis:

Automobile (Gr. 'άυτο "oneself" + Lat. mōbilis "moving") = "the one which moves itself";

Mobile telephone (Lat. mōbilis "moving" + Gr. τέλε "far" + Gr. φονέ "sound") = "sound that moves far away";

Computer (Lat. "computāre" - to calculate) = "calculator"

and so on...

There are tens of thousands of English words that were built like that. Lithuanian does use many of them, but not as widely as in English or French, e.g.

ego

Postby ego » 2006-09-24, 11:14

Allow me to correct some spelling mistakes:

エヴァルダス wrote:Šuniuk, the situation is much more complicated than that. Actually, it is not that easy to find a purely germanic word in English as the vast majority of English vocabulary (50-60%) came from French or Latin. Those international words you mentioned are based on the Latin/Greek lexis:

Automobile (Gr. 'αυτό "oneself" + Lat. mōbilis "moving") = "the one which moves itself";

Mobile telephone (Lat. mōbilis "moving" + Gr. τήλε "far" + Gr. φωνή "sound") = "sound that moves far away";

Computer (Lat. "computāre" - to calculate) = "calculator"

and so on...

There are tens of thousands of English words that were built like that. Lithuanian does use many of them, but not as widely as in English or French, e.g.

By the way, reading this post at the beginning, I was surprised to find more similarities between Lithuanian and Greek:

egidijus wrote:
I noticed that Lithuanian names have endings simillar to Romans. E.G. Darius, Greek Darios, or -is ending, or -as...
Do Lithuanian have any similarities with Latin, and what is the origin of this names and surnames?

Well I want to add that lithuanian language is the oldest alive indoeuropean language. It does not only has similarities with latin, but and whith sanskrit and other languages. The most visible similarity is whit latin:
lithuanian senas (old)> latin senex, senis (the same lithuanian word for old man)
dantis (a tooth)> dentis > Greek donti
du (two) > duo > Greek dyo
vyras (a man)> vir
ugnis (a fire)> ignis
ausis (ear)> auris
giminė (family)> gentis (the same lithuanian word for tribe) > Greek genos
and so on...
Talking about names some of the names are not realy lithuanian. It was borowed from other languages, since it sounded like lithuanian, for example my name :)

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”