Giriat - noun, verb?

leniwacisza
Giriat - noun, verb?

Postby leniwacisza » 2015-07-02, 12:51

Hello! Not speaking any Lithuanian I find it very hard to figure out what "giriat" actually means. Google translate says it means "glory" but from what I found it seems to be a second person plural of the verb "praise", but then another website said it was a noun but didn't give a definition. Would anyone be willing to help me out here? :doggy:

Varaleiva

Re: Giriat - noun, verb?

Postby Varaleiva » 2015-07-03, 5:43

You right, "giriat(e)" a second person plural of the verb "girti, giria, gyrė" (praise, "girtis" boast, compliment, panegyrize).

leniwacisza

Postby leniwacisza » 2015-07-03, 9:27

Thank you so much! Do you think the last name "Giriat" is somehow derived from this? I'm asking all of this because my great-grandmother was probably from Lithuania and it was her name which I am now considering to adopt myself. But I'd like to know what it means so that I don't end up accidentally calling myself something silly ;) Thank you again for your help!

Varaleiva

Postby Varaleiva » 2015-07-03, 10:36

If that word lithuanian origin, that it must be shorted from lithuanian family name "Giraitis", wher "gir-" from "girià" (forest) whith patronymical sufix "-aitis" – in eglish analog something "Forester", I think.
Another variant of origin that name is lithuanian family name "Giriotas" or "Girijotas", from "gir-" [gır]+ "jotas" [yo:tʌs] (rider) – "forest rider"?.
Last edited by Varaleiva on 2015-07-06, 8:37, edited 1 time in total.

leniwacisza

Postby leniwacisza » 2015-07-03, 14:47

Thanks! I have since figured out how to write it in Cyrillic and I looked that up and it turns out if you take away the "t" it means "weight" or even "fat" in some languages and that makes me sad because I got so excited when google said it meant "glory" because my first name also means glory and it would have been awesome... Google gave me this amazing dream of being effectively called "glory glory" and then reality killed it. Not cool google. Turns out my great-grandmother may not have been Lithuanian after all :( I mean this name is still nice, short, and easy to pronounce and spell so I may still use it but I was so excited for a moment! :ohwell: Btw searching for Lithuanian language stuff when one doesn't speak Lithuanian is really hard! I had to switch my browser language to Lithuanian to make google display results in Lithuanian for me to contextualise but even then Lithuanian is so unlike any other language that it's really difficult to make anything out! So really, thank you very much for ending my frustration and clearing that up! :)

Varaleiva

Postby Varaleiva » 2016-03-15, 8:01

To late, but... can be another "Giraitis" origin:
from lithuanian "gira" (kvass), then it would follow that "Giraitis" means "kvass producer's offspring".

leniwacisza

Postby leniwacisza » 2016-03-17, 10:30

haha :D thank you! im really liking this meaning too xD so if i were to combine my favourite ones i'd be a forest dwelling kvass manufacturer! :)

uzferry

Postby uzferry » 2016-03-17, 12:05

Talking about surnames, Giriat is probably of French origin, doesn't really sound Lithuanian to me :hmm:

leniwacisza

Postby leniwacisza » 2016-06-06, 17:19

Perhaps. I know it is a last name in France but my great-grandmother lived in what is now northern Belarus and had either Polish, Lithuanian or Belarusian heritage (they were poor farmers so no fancy stuff was going on there haha). Unfortunately after the war all official records available were issued by soviets and therefore written in Cyrillic and if it was originally a French name it would have been transcribed phonetically and not this way. So in Polish records it would have ended up being something like Żyria or however it's pronounced in french (much the same way we now call Chopin - Szopen :lol: ). The transcribing back from cyrillic though was at the discretion of the bureaucrat so i.e. my grandfather chose to spell it Giriat but his sister in her documents had "mother's name" listed as Girjat since these two are pronounced the same way in Polish, and how would they know how their most likely illiterate mother would spell it. :D

So yeah, wouldn't it be fancy if it was a french name :D the chances are pretty slim though

But thank you for your help! If you know how French people would pronounce it, I'm eager to find out!

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”