Klausimai apie lietuvių kalbą [Nehushtan]

MillMaths
Klausimai apie lietuvių kalbą [Nehushtan]

Postby MillMaths » 2012-02-14, 9:43

Hi. I thought I'd start a thread to ask questions about Lithuanian that I have. :)

First question. I've been listening to the sound files of common Lithuanian phrases on the Omniglot page and I notice a difference in quality between the short i and the long i. When it's long, it's pronounced /iː/ – which is a close front vowel. But the short i, I notice, is pronounced more like /ɪ/, which would be a near-close near-front vowel.

Am I correct? :?
Last edited by MillMaths on 2013-04-13, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

nesos

Re: Klausimai apie lietuvių kalbą [Sophie]

Postby nesos » 2012-02-14, 10:36

Sophie wrote:Hi. I thought I'd start a thread to ask questions about Lithuanian that I have. :)

First question. I've been listening to the sound files of common Lithuanian phrases on the Omniglot page and I notice a difference in quality between the short i and the long i. When it's long, it's pronounced /iː/ – which is a close front vowel. But the short i, I notice, is pronounced more like /ɪ/, which would be a near-close near-front vowel.

Am I correct? :?
I once have read about research, where were used records of vowels cut to the same length. Native speakers were able to make distinction between "long" and "short" vowels even in that case. So distinction is not only in length.

Eginhard

Postby Eginhard » 2012-02-14, 11:04

Yes, there is a difference in quality. I'm not that good with IPA, but what you've said should be about correct.
Current focus: [flag=]lt[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]bg[/flag] [flag=]hr[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag]

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2012-02-18, 11:05

Ačiū už jūsų atsakymus. :praise:

My next question is about the verb būti as a copula in the present tense. I came across this sentence on the Lithuanian wiki site: "Lietuvoje artišokas mažai žinomas ir vartojamas." Hopefully, I've translated it correctly as: "In Lithuania the artichoke is little known and used." The verb yra is missing in the Lithuanian sentence, making it like Russian. Yet I've also seen yra being used as a copulative verb in Lithuanian.

So, in Lithuanian, can you omit the verb būti as a copula in the present tense and simply juxtapose subject and predicate like in Russian? :hmm:

FruitBat

Postby FruitBat » 2012-02-18, 15:31

Yes, afaik both versions coexist in Lithuanian, in most cases the copula is omitted, unless a certain stress is needed.
[flag=]de[/flag][flag=]en[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]pl[/flag][flag=]ru[/flag][flag=]lt[/flag][flag=]el[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]es[/flag][flag=]pt-br[/flag]
人の世に道は一つということはない。道は百も千も万もある。(坂本龍馬)

Rokas

Postby Rokas » 2012-02-24, 8:59

The copula may also be omitted in past tenses, especially periphrastic verb forms (copula + participle).

Aš tai jau (esu) matęs.
I have already seen that.
Kažin ar jis tai (yra) girdėjęs.
I doubt he has heard of that.

However, the case with copula in LIthuanian is not exactly in parallel with copula in Russian. In Russian, it is almost always omitted, and when it isn't, it's jest' (it doesn't conjugate by person). In Lithuanian, it is conjugated just like any normal verb.

エヴァルダス

Postby エヴァルダス » 2013-04-13, 11:16

A very old thread, but still…

I notice a difference in quality between the short i and the long i

All Lithuanian short vowels do not correspond to the long ones at all. In many dialects and even in modern Lithuanian pronunciation, people (including me :) ) even tend to shorten long vowels everywhere, because the difference in quality allows to make a clear distinction.

Varaleiva

Re: Klausimai apie lietuvių kalbą [Nehushtan]

Postby Varaleiva » 2015-08-10, 7:12

For lithuanian vowels "short" and "long" is not acurate term. Come from old latin grammarian (I think).

Esminis skiriamasis požymis tarp lietuviškųjų „trumpųjų“ ir „ilgųjų“ balsių yra ne jų tarimo trukmė, tai antrinis skiriamasis požymis (ne visada galiojantis), o kalbos padargų įtemptumas juos tariant. Tariant „trumpuosius“ kalbos padargai atpalaiduoti, tariant gi „ilguosius“ – įtempti. Iš čia ir esminis kokybinis skirtumas tarp „trumpųjų“ ir „ilgųjų“ balsių, kuriuos visgi tiksliau derėtų vadinti „silpnaisiais“ ir „stipriaisiais“.

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”