Translate lithuanian song to English

silje
Translate lithuanian song to English

Postby silje » 2011-04-06, 0:03

Hello all

I am singing in a choir in Norway and We have been given a beautiful song to sing. it is called "Beauštanti aušrelė" and is by the composer M.K Čiurlionis. someone helped me before with Oi Giria Giria, so I hope you can translate this one too. A lithuanian choir is coming to visit us in june and it would be nice if we actually knew what the text says and maybe how to pronounce it.

1)Beauštanti aušrelė betekanti saulele.
kelk, seserėle mano viešnele,
ar darto n'is miegojai.

2)Pinkisi vainikeli dekisi an(t)? galveles
tavo sveteliai balti broliliai
balnoj berus zirgelius

3)kadišeitu broleli iš sinesy kardeli
o kad iš kirsty mano vargeli
iš anytos varteliu

The third verse was handwritten and difficult to read.

Please feel free to write the text as it is supposed to look with lithuanian letters! I tried to find it online but I couldn't find more than a sentence or two. I'm sure I haven't got all of the characters right.

I also have another question. Here is a link to the song on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To1speljU44

I think this is sung by a lithuanian choir so they are probably pronouncing it right. But why do they change some of the "e" sounds to an "a"?
for example, they sing "batakanti" instead of "betekanti" (a being the same sound as in english "car"). Is this because it sounds better?

a lot of questions I know, please have patience with me, I am very curious

silje willumsen

silje

Thank you so much!

Postby silje » 2011-04-07, 8:54

I know it is difficult to translate, I have the same problem if I try to do that with an english song into norwegian, but now I at least have an incling what the song is about.

and thank you again for writing it with the right letters! I can't find some of the letters on my keyboard, and they are not written correctly in the sheet music. It is easier now to see a consistency with the pronounciation, where they actually keeps the "e" sound and so forth.

I don't know why the last verse is different from the youtube version. Did none of the words there make sense? We also have a song called "Oi Giria, Giria", which similar to this one, the first two verses are identical to the youtube version, but the last 3 verses is totally different. Have no idea why, maybe just to make things difficult for us? hehe :hmm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxj4WnvBH8E

Maybe you can write down the the lyrics to the last 3 verses on this song too from the youtube version? I have already had this translated, except those 3. on our sheet music, the second verse goes like this (and again, I don't have the correct lithuanian letters on my keyboard)

Giedria dienelę
paukšteliai čiulbéjo
ûkanota tyléjo.

best regards
silje

nesos

Re: Thank you so much!

Postby nesos » 2011-04-20, 15:55

silje wrote:I don't know why the last verse is different from the youtube version. Did none of the words there make sense? We also have a song called "Oi Giria, Giria", which similar to this one, the first two verses are identical to the youtube version, but the last 3 verses is totally different. Have no idea why, maybe just to make things difficult for us? hehe :hmm:

Those are folk songs and has a few versions of a text as a rule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxj4WnvBH8E

Maybe you can write down the the lyrics to the last 3 verses on this song too from the youtube version? I have already had this translated, except those 3. on our sheet music, the second verse goes like this (and again, I don't have the correct lithuanian letters on my keyboard)

Giedria dienelę
paukšteliai čiulbéjo
ûkanota tyléjo.

best regards
silje

Giedrią dienelę
Paukšteliai čiulbėjo
Ūkanotą tylėjo.

In clear day
birds were singing
in cloudy [day] were silent.

There are another version of „Oi giria, giria“ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KisOaZwJOJM&feature=related that IMO is closer to the folk version, but the last verses are different.

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”