daily articles

kman1
daily articles

Postby kman1 » 2008-08-01, 4:26

Hello all, I have been studying Lithuanian for a while and I’m trying to test out and improve my knowledge base. I have done this by translating newspaper articles. As you can see, there are a lot of things that I’m not sure on so can you let me know what’s correct and incorrect with my sentences/translations. Please indicate where I went wrong in my analyzing the sentences and grammar. For example, if I mess up a grammar pattern or plural or adjective formation, please let me know this and then indicate the correct way. Thank you very much.

My goal for studying is to be able to talk to people on the street and to my friends. Please feel free to list any places where I can find and translate very colloquial Lithuanian articles, essays, etc.

Code: Select all

I.Makaraitytei paskirta Antano Macijausko premija
      name      to allot   name             premium
Gegužės 7 dieną, Lietuvos žurnalistų sąjunga kartu su Biržų rajono savivaldybe Biržuose
 May      day  Lithuanian journalist alliance together with place name district gov.  ?
rengia Spaudos atgavimo, kalbos ir knygos dienos minėjimą.
to prepare press receive back  and book  day   celebration

“I. Makaraitytei allots Antano Macijausko first
On May 7th, The Lithuanian journalist alliance together with Birzu’s district government in Birzuo prepared Spaudos to receive languages and books in a daily celebration.”

Code: Select all

Biržuose pirmąkart bus įteikta tik šiemet įsteigta Antano Macijausko premija. Ji skiriama
        first to wake up deliver only this year establish                    she distinctive
 už geriausius žurnalistikos darbus arba iniciatyvas, ugdančias patriotizmą, nacionalinio
 behind  ?       ?         diligent or    initiative     ?        patriotism    national
 pasididžiavimo jausmą, meilę lietuvių kalbai ir nacionalinei kultūrai.
 pride        feeling  love  Lithuanian language and national culture

“Birzuo delivered just this year and establish Antano Macijausko first. They were ___ diligent or intiatives of patriotism, feelings of national pride, love of the Lithuanian language and national culture.”

nighean-neonach

Re: daily articles

Postby nighean-neonach » 2008-08-01, 17:17

Hopeless case, eh? This won't get you anywhere... :roll:
Writing poetry in: Scottish Gaelic, German, English.
Reading poetry in: Latin, Old Irish, French, Ancient Greek, Old Norse.
Talking to people in the shop in: Lithuanian, Norwegian, Irish Gaelic, Saami.
Listening to people talking in the shop in: Icelandic, Greenlandic, Finnish.

vicza

Postby vicza » 2008-08-01, 23:31

kman1 wrote:“I. Makaraitytei allots Antano Macijausko first
On May 7th, The Lithuanian journalist alliance together with Birzu’s district government in Birzuo prepared Spaudos to receive languages and books in a daily celebration.”

And what does it mean, you think? :wink: Atgavimas here is revival, Biržai -- a city, spauda -- press. And not "daily celebration", but "celebration of the day of..."

desper

Postby desper » 2008-08-07, 7:38

A better structure would be useful. Perhaps sentence by sentence with nice formatting?

Makaraitytei paskirta Antano Macijausko premija

Gegužės 7 dieną, Lietuvos žurnalistų sąjunga kartu su Biržų rajono savivaldybe Biržuose rengia Spaudos atgavimo, kalbos ir knygos dienos minėjimą.

Biržuose pirmąkart bus įteikta tik šiemet įsteigta Antano Macijausko premija. Ji skiriama už geriausius žurnalistikos darbus arba iniciatyvas, ugdančias patriotizmą, nacionalinio pasididžiavimo jausmą, meilę lietuvių kalbai ir nacionalinei kultūrai.

I'll keep the words in the same order to preserve the original sentence structure though it will not sound correct in English. The meaning should get conveyed though.

Makaraitytė was awarded the Antanas Macijauskas' prize

On the 7th of May, Lithuanian Journalist Union together with Biržai district' municipality, in Biržai, are preparing the day's of "Recovery of Press, the Language and the Book" jubille.

In Biržai, for the first time will be awarded the only this year founded Antanas Macijauskas prize. It is awarded for the best journalistic works or initiatives, which foster patriotism, national pride's sence, love to the Lithuanian language and the national culture.

I suggest you start with children's books.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2008-08-08, 21:53

paskirti – to award ? (’paskirta’ is NOT passive voice, correct? it looks like the present tense only)
rengti – ‘rengia’ looks like the present tense
atgavimas – active participle ?
rengia Spaudos atgavimo, kalbos ir knygos dienos minėjimą.

I could also say ‘preparing for a jubilee of the day of “Revival of Press, Language, and Books”’, right?
pirmąkart bus - ?
įteikti – to present ?
tik šiemet įsteigta Antano Macijausko premija

įsteigta’ implies that the award isn’t necessarily given out every year but that Antano deserved it and which is why he is receiving the award. (if Antano didn’t earn the award then the award probably wouldn’t have been issued to anyone this year, correct?)

skiriama – is the passive present tense participle of ‘skirti’ ?
už – for
ugdančias – subjunctive of ‘ugdyti’ ? (also, does the subjunctive tense carry the meaning of the relative pron. ‘which’ ?)

btw, thanks for the corrections. :)

vicza

Postby vicza » 2008-08-09, 8:49

kman1 wrote:paskirti – to award ? (’paskirta’ is NOT passive voice, correct?

It IS passive.

It was substantivited, so it's a noun here.

I could also say ‘preparing for a jubilee of the day of “Revival of Press, Language, and Books”’, right?

Not "for". Preparing what? -- a jubilee (celebration) of the day. Of Press' revival, the language and book.

pirmąkart bus - ?

First time.

įsteigta’ implies that the award isn’t necessarily given out every year but that Antano deserved it and which is why he is receiving the award.(if Antano didn’t earn the award then the award probably wouldn’t have been issued to anyone this year, correct?)

No. It means that the award was established only in this year. And not Antano, but Antanas (Antano is genitive). And Antanas Macijauskas (1874-1950) in no case could receive this award. It was given to I.Makaraitytė, as it's stated in the very first line of this article.

skiriama – is the passive present tense participle of ‘skirti’ ?
už – for

Yes.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2008-08-12, 11:29

paskirti – to award ? (’paskirta’ is NOT passive voice, correct?

is the passive implied but actually it’s in the present tense active voice? I ask this because I don’t know of any passives being formed like that in Lithuanian grammar…
It was substantivited, so it's a noun here.

so it’s just a noun and not a verb at all? (which meaning I should be able to find ‘atgavimas’ in the dictionary, then?)

vicza

Postby vicza » 2008-08-12, 14:49

kman1 wrote:is the passive implied but actually it’s in the present tense active voice?

It's not present tense, it's past.
"Premija buvo paskirta (kam?) I.Makaraitytei."
"The award was given to I.Makaraitytė"

so it’s just a noun and not a verb at all? (which meaning I should be able to find ‘atgavimas’ in the dictionary, then?)

Why not?

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”