how do i sound?

Moderator:france-eesti

kman1
how do i sound?

Postby kman1 » 2009-04-19, 8:07

'''

Re: how do i sound?

Postby ''' » 2009-04-19, 8:33

hello again, Don;t be afraid to open your mouth, you sound like you're clenching. Gemminated cosnonants are actually pronounced twice, don't skip over them. and any vowel with acutes on it áéíóőúű is pronounced long. Like noticably long.

also, note, just as ly is pronounced /j/, if a j comes after an l, the l is pronounced like another j.

Emphasis should ALWAYS be on the first syllable and let it really sound.

note <s> is liek the english sh, not s.

Also I'd work on the vowels more, especially the difference between a and á and pronouncing ö. Don't forget Hungarian has no diphthongs so if you see two adjacent vowels, pronounce them as 2 adjacent vowels, not as one sort of fused sound.

gy is a palatalised consonant. try running d and j together really fast. It isn't the same as d.

Note, meggyógyítani is tricky. You might think the ggy is a doubled gy. However, the meg- prefix is a separate unit. So think of it as meg-djó-djí-ta-ni.

All in all, if I close my eyes and ignore the text I can still understand you but with some difficulty, owing mainly to the fact that you stop and re do words a lot. If you want help oin your pronounciation, maybe try writing the text down in a way which is clear to you and reciting from that.

I'd be interested to hear what you sound liek in English though.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2009-04-19, 13:01

thanks for the analysis again, '''.

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2009-04-19, 13:11

It’s really the vowels you need to improve. A bit of off-beat in the rhythm causes much less confusion than wrong vowels. Your consonants are quite okay apart from the issues listed by '''. :yep:

A magánhangzókra kell igazán rágyúrnod. Egy kis bizonytalanság a ritmusban sokkal kevesebb zűrt okoz, mint a rossz magánhangzók. A mássalhangzóid elég jók, leszámítva a ''' által felsorolt dolgokat. :yep:
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-19, 22:43

kman1 wrote:how does my Hungarian sound?
http://readingproficiency.mypodcast.com ... chive.html

Wow! Once I tried to learn the pronounciation of the Korean alphabet and I thought it has way too many sounds which are hard to grip for us.
Compared to that it wasn't bad at all. No-one can pronounce our gy so that's not a big mistake at the beginning. Your e is good, and you don't switch up r and l which is - as far as I know - a big progress from a native-Korean. :)

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2009-04-20, 12:47

He's from the US. :wink:

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-21, 10:14

KennyHun wrote:He's from the US. :wink:

I just wanted to add, he has English accent. :)

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”