Ottoman Turkish عثمانلی توركجه سی

Moderator:voron

kalemiye
Re: Ottoman Turkish عثمانلی توركجه سی

Postby kalemiye » 2009-08-31, 11:42

I encourage people that is learning Osmanlica and that already know Turkish to read and read. At first it's difficult, but then you can read pretty quickly. Thanks for the link zhiguli!! :)
Not available

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2009-09-13, 19:22

I just discovered that if you search for random words in Ottoman on google books you can find all kinds of books, novels, history books, etc, like this beginning reader. Again, most of this stuff isn't available outside the US...but I've uploaded the reader to rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/279621665/T ... t.pdf.html

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2009-09-13, 21:47

zhiguli wrote:I just discovered that if you search for random words in Ottoman on google books you can find all kinds of books, novels, history books, etc, like this beginning reader. Again, most of this stuff isn't available outside the US...but I've uploaded the reader to rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/279621665/T ... t.pdf.html

Wow, it is wonderful! It has all vowels and signs!!!!! :burning: Maybe we will be able to work on this in the Ottoman Texts thread, although I want to have a closer look at it when I have time, I think I will print it.
Not available

Theognis813

Postby Theognis813 » 2009-11-22, 8:36

Quick question, if anyone can answer me; I was wondering, are Ottoman Turkish works available in Turkey printed using the modern orthography? Not translated into Modern Turkish, just transliterated into the Latin alphabet? I've searched through this thread and forum a couple times and didn't see it mentioned.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2009-11-22, 11:50

Theognis813 wrote:Quick question, if anyone can answer me; I was wondering, are Ottoman Turkish works available in Turkey printed using the modern orthography? Not translated into Modern Turkish, just transliterated into the Latin alphabet? I've searched through this thread and forum a couple times and didn't see it mentioned.

Mmm.. I don't know myself, but probably there are, I have a couple of novels written during the Tanzimat times, and afaik they are not translated, but written in Latin alphabet. But I cannot tell you anything about it for sure.
Not available

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2009-12-19, 4:32

I've found novels by Reşat Nuri Güntekin and other Ottoman authors online in Latin script and the texts match the Arabic script versions I have 100%.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2010-01-04, 22:12

A database of the Ottoman documents in the Kareios library of the Island of Andros: short summaries, transliteration, facsimiles:

http://androsdocs.ims.forth.gr/search_results.php?search_type=&search_muslim=&from_date=1579&to_date=1821&search_source=&search_term=&search_number=&search_submit=SEARCH&search_lang=1
Not available

Füzûlî

Postby Füzûlî » 2013-07-22, 8:45

Greetings everyone!
So glad to see this thread of conversation going on for so long, and that it has been relatively recent.
I have not yet had a chance to read all the postings; I have skimmed many, and paid attention to certain parts. I hope to have a chance to go back and read all of them in the near future.
Just wanted to say hello, merhaba, selam, salaam. It is very nice to be here, now, and join you all!
Cheers :)
-- Nima [ i.e. for here: Füzûlî ]

evrendede

Postby evrendede » 2014-06-02, 8:55

kalemiye wrote:I encourage people that is learning Osmanlica and that already know Turkish to read and read. At first it's difficult, but then you can read pretty quickly. Thanks for the link zhiguli!! :)

Do you feel comfortable reading the classical Ottoman texts, which are mostly written in 17th and 18th century?

I can understand Yeni Osmanlıca, it's close to today's Turkish in fact, I can also understand the relatively plain texts of 14th and 15th century but classical Ottoman is not like 1 language, it seems you have to learn Arabic and Persian to understand the text. And since there is no punctuation, no newlines, even no spaces between words sometimes, it becomes a pain to read them sometimes :)

I wonder how those people back in the day read them easily? Or did they have some difficulty as well. It's for sure that they must have spent years learning Arabic and Persian.

I know that judging them with today's values is meaningless and since Ottoman Empire was trying to be the flagholder of the civilization of the east, they tried to create a common language with all three languages. But instead of loaning only the words that are absent in Turkish, I can not get the point of also loaning the words which were already existent in Turkish. It seems like a very unnecessary effort to me.

davidsavop

Postby davidsavop » 2016-06-20, 16:36

I need help and found this group online. My Great Great Grandfather was born somewhere in the disputed territory of Greece and Turkey, and that's as far as I have gotten. It would be a great gift for my 88 year old Dad to translate the only link I have to our history- the birth certificate of his grandfather. Can anyone there help if I sent a copy of it to translate into English? Thanks!
David Savopoulos

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”