Turkish and Turkic languages

Moderator:voron

0stsee
Turkmen

Postby 0stsee » 2007-08-17, 15:35

I read that Turkmen has Latin alphabet, that is somehow different from Turkish.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2007-08-17, 19:29

Truth is each turkic language has been given a different alphabet so they cannot be intelligible while written so the turkic peoples cannot unite. At least, that's what I've heard and i think it have to agree with it. What's your point of view on this issue ego's pointed out?
Not available

0stsee

Alphabet

Postby 0stsee » 2007-08-17, 21:47

I guess it would be much much easier if the Turk languages had the same alphabet. So there could be a much greater intelligibility between them.

But I don't know why they don't do it.

Does Azeri have a different alphabet as well?

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-08-18, 7:18

Yes, Azeri has a different alphabet. Not much but it has different letters.
Have a look at it here:
http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeri_Alfabesi

polishboy

Re:

Postby polishboy » 2009-02-11, 20:44

alois wrote:Here is the first article of the Declaration of Human Rights in three of them if you want to make a comparison (Turkish, Kazakh, Uyghur): :wink:

Turkish
Bütün insanlar hür, haysiyet ve haklar bakımından eşit doğarlar. Akıl ve vicdana sahiptirler ve birbirlerine karşı kardeşlik zihniyeti ile hareket etmelidirler.

Kazakh
Barlyq adamdar tumysynan azat ǧäne qadîr-qasietî men kûqyqtary teŋ bolyp düniege keledî. Adamdarġa aqyl-parasat, ar-oǧdan berîlgen, sondyqtan olar bîr-bîrîmen tuystyq, bauyrmaldyq qarym-qatynas ǧasaulary tiîs.

Uyghur
Hemme adem zanidinla erkin, izzet-hörmet we hoquqta bapbarawer bolup tughulghan. Ular eqilge we wijdan'gha ige hemde bir-birige qérindashliq munasiwitige xas roh bilen muamile qilishi kérek.

I am just a beggining student, but I see that Turkish version used insanlar, insan is word taken from Arabi, meaning a human!
but they have word adam too!, it seems that Uyghurs say "adem"!, and Kazakh use der instead of lar, for plural marker!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Turkish and Turkic languages

Postby eskandar » 2009-02-11, 22:24

"Adam" is also from Arabic. ;)
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

kalemiye

Re: Turcoman

Postby kalemiye » 2009-03-01, 21:21

loqu wrote:
0stsee wrote:Where is Turcoman spoken?

Turcoman is also known as Turkmen, it's the official language of Turkmenistan.

Turkmen is spoken in Iran too I think.
Not available

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2009-03-02, 1:32

A Turkish guy I talked to said that he didn't understand Turkmen, but after watching a TV program in Turkmen with Turkish subtitles, he learned a lot.
Ini tandatanganku.

ufuk

Postby ufuk » 2011-09-07, 14:38

alois wrote:
Uyghur
Hemme adem zanidinla erkin, izzet-hörmet we hoquqta bapbarawer bolup tughulghan. Ular eqilge we wijdan'gha ige hemde bir-birige qérindashliq munasiwitige xas roh bilen muamile qilishi kérek.

I think, if anyone knows enough words in Turkish, and has some imagination, can understand the whole Uyghur text. Here it goes, with slight grammatical mistakes when literally translated into Turkish:

Ham[1] âdem zanidinle[2] erkin, izzet-hürmet ve hukukta bepberaber olup doğulgan.[3] Onlar akıla ve vicdana iye, hem de birbirine karındaşlık münasebetine has ruh ile muamele kılışı[4] gerek.

[1]: It appears in both Ottoman and Azeri Turkish, meaning "whole all/tüm, hepsi"
[2]: I haven't understood this at all :)
[3]: Gerunds in Anatolian Turkish often serve as conjugated verbs in other Turkish dialects.
[4]: I believe -ış suffix, serves as -mek in Uyghur.

ps: erkin means free, it is included in tdk dictionary.

mtcn

Postby mtcn » 2014-01-05, 11:14

Hello

There is a work in which the most used verbs in Turkic Languages are compared. You can see it and you can download it on this page:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/n33435ily ... rison..pdf

mtcn

Postby mtcn » 2014-01-12, 12:46

Turkic Languages Verb Comparison.
Mistakes were corrected. The link was updated. Here is the new link:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/6iami4gg4 ... arison.pdf

evrendede

Postby evrendede » 2014-06-02, 8:16

I think Turkish speakers can readily understand Azeri.

They can mostly understand Uyghur, Turkmen and Tatar from written sources. But listening and speaking is hard. You need to get adapted to them.

Understanding Kazakh, Ozbek and Kyrgyz are harder. From written sources you can maybe understand 40%-50% of the sentences, the rest is lost. And listening and speaking are more harder.

Nevertheless, if you study Uyghur and Turkmen for 1 week with enough speaking and listening practice, you will be able to understand most of the things. But for Kazakh, Ozbek and Kyrgyz, this may take some weeks, a month maybe.

For Siberian languages, they have diverged greatly and words have become very different. That's why they are really different.

All in all, let's say Kazakh and Turkish are way closer to each other than Scottish and Swedish let's say.

Hypocrisy

Postby Hypocrisy » 2014-06-29, 11:31

They are mutually comprehensible to some degree so long as you decide to put some effort into learning the basics of one another. The problem is that Turkish people don't seem to find the motive to learn another Turkic language, thus never completely understand it.

You can't understand the gist of a sentence right off the bat, no matter if it's written or spoken. It takes me a while to inspect every word and figure out what counterpart it sounds similar to in Turkish. Only then I can get an idea about the sentence, however, it's mostly vague. I think this applies to a large portion of the Turkish population :) .

nadi

Postby nadi » 2015-01-01, 21:10

Turkish, Azeri, Gagauz and Turkmen are in the Oguz branch of Turkic languages, so they are mutually understandable. Turkmen is slightly more distant compared to the other three.
As far as I see, Gagauz hasn't been mentioned here before. The Gagauz region of Moldova is an autonomus region where Turkic Gagauz people live. The total number of the Gagauz is considered to be about three hundred thousand in the world and they live mostly in Gagauzia, Ukraine and Bulgaristan. Unlike the other Turkic communities, they are orthodox christian.
Here is a Gagauz song. You'll see the similarity when you listen to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7-tWR_Ce7Y

Oğlan oğlan kalk gidelim
Granitza'nın boyunda koyun güdelim
Ne güzel oğlan, yalabık çoban

Oğlan'ın evi sarı samandan
O'na yaklaşamıcan tozdan dumandan

Oğlan'ın sopası ceviz kökünden
Yanına sakın gitme köpek sesinden

Oğlan oğlan, boynuma dolan
Şu elinlen saçından bana yap yorgan

Oğlan oğlan, ne güzelsin sen
Yandı üreğim eridi, bekledim seni

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-10, 3:30

There's also a language called Balkan Gagauz Turkish, which is also in the Oghuz subgroup and is different from both Gagauz and Turkish. I once posted a video on the General Language Forum (here, on UniLang) where a native speaker of Balkan Gagauz Turkish from Prishtinë, the capital of Kosovo, talks first in Turkish and then tells a story (I think Little Red Riding Hood?) in her native language. I'll post it here again (because there are a lot of videos in the thread - and the post! - where I added it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW8z9FeyOZ0

nadi

Postby nadi » 2017-02-13, 21:13

vijayjohn wrote:There's also a language called Balkan Gagauz Turkish, which is also in the Oghuz subgroup and is different from both Gagauz and Turkish. I once posted a video on the General Language Forum (here, on UniLang) where a native speaker of Balkan Gagauz Turkish from Prishtinë, the capital of Kosovo, talks first in Turkish and then tells a story (I think Little Red Riding Hood?) in her native language. I'll post it here again (because there are a lot of videos in the thread - and the post! - where I added it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW8z9FeyOZ0

:) It is lovely! Thank you for sharing it here.
She says it is their dialect of Turkish and it is true. Although it has got some similarities with Gagauz, this dialect is much closer to the Turkish dialect spoken in Turkey and as a person from Turkey, I can fully understand the story.

tengiz

Postby tengiz » 2017-02-15, 17:48

Aymeric wrote:Hi

I've heard that Turkish is spoken from the Black Sea to the West of China, with minor geographical variations.

Is it true that these variations are really "minor" ?
Is it possible for a Turkish to speak to an Ouigur ?

I'm asking, because I heard a conversation between a Turkish and a Kurdish, and they seemed to have trouble understanding each other sometimes...

This claim is Pan-Turkist, not scientific. Turk-Bulgar (only remain Bulgar language is Chuvash) language family like Indo-European language family. For example a German can understand Persian? or Greek? Or a Bangladeshi can understand Icelandic? Or Spanish? Of course "no". Turkish peoples can't understand other Turkic languages, we can understand only Oguz languages, like Azerbaijani.

There are sub-families in Turk-Bulgar language family, like Indo-European language family. There are Oguz sub-family (Turkish, Gagauz, Azeri etc.), Kypchak sub-family (Kazak, Kyrgyz, Tatar etc.), Karluk sub-family (Uzbek, Uyghur etc.), Chuvash (Bulgar branch), North Siberian sub-family (Yakut, Dolgan) and South Siberian sub-family (Altay, Tuvan, Khakassian etc.) Peoples can understand languages which is in the "same" sub-family with their native languages. German can understand something from Norwegian, Italian can understand something from Spanish etc. Like that we can understand something from Turkmen or Qashqai.

Turkmen and Qashqai languages are Oguz too, but Turkmen is "East Oguz" it means, it is "different language", Qashqai is "South Oguz", Qashqai is different language according to us too. But Azerbaijani and Gagauz are "West Oguz", Turkish is "West Oguz" too, it means, this three languages are "dialects", and because of this we can understand them easily. Only Azerbaijani and Gagauz we can understand don't need translator :) It is like Norwegian and Swedish or Finnish and Estonian etc.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-15, 19:31

tengiz wrote:
I'm asking, because I heard a conversation between a Turkish and a Kurdish, and they seemed to have trouble understanding each other sometimes...

Lol

As a learner of Turkish, Kurdish and Arabic I am often asked if they are like dialects of the same language. And nobody believes when I say 'no' anyway. So yeah, whatever, they are...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-27, 4:18

There are actually quite a few Oghuz languages in the world! Perhaps the most interesting example is Salar, which is spoken in western China. To me, it basically sounds like someone from northern China trying to speak Turkish (or Turkmen). :P This is a song I once posted in Salar, with the lyrics in Salar in the subtitles along with a Chinese translation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdfcGERwwpc

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”