Hoogstwaarschijnlijk's Turkish Thread

Moderator:voron

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk's Turkish Thread

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2012-10-16, 9:05

Merhaba,

Türkçe üniversitede bir sene öğreniyordum, ama çok unutuyordum. şimdi yine öğreneceğim, umuyorum.

I'm using other resources now, all kind of them, because I won't have lessons anymore. So I need to keep myself motivated and I don't have a person in real life to answer the questions I have. Therefore I opened this thread.

My first question:
- At a website with online lessons I came across the suffix -dIr. It is used like this:
anneyim, annesin, annedir (I'm (a) mother, you're (a) mother, he/she/it's (a) mother)
I have never seen this, I always thought that it he/she/it you didn't need to add anything. But apparently it is possible to add something. My question is: when would I need to do that, are there any specific rules or maybe this or that is more formal...?
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Schwarzrat

Re: Hoogstwaarschijnlijk's Turkish Thread

Postby Schwarzrat » 2012-10-16, 16:07

You can use ite if you want but you needn't to. If I'm not wrong, it's used to put the emphazise on the fact that it's her/him who's mother.
Native : [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]gsw[/flag] (alsatian - no problem in comprehension... to use it, that's something else... -)
Upper Intermediate : [flag]en[/flag]
Intermediate : [flag]de[/flag]
Beginner : [flag]tr[/flag]
Wanderlust : [flag]yih[/flag] (western yiddish) [flag]az[/flag] [flag]kk[/flag] [flag]uz[/flag] [flag]ku[/flag]

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2012-10-16, 17:37

Schwarzrat wrote:You can use ite if you want but you needn't to. If I'm not wrong, it's used to put the emphazise on the fact that it's her/him who's mother.

Or to show that you are not sure about the statement. Normally it is not used though.
Not available

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2012-10-18, 12:40

kalemiye wrote:
Schwarzrat wrote:You can use ite if you want but you needn't to. If I'm not wrong, it's used to put the emphazise on the fact that it's her/him who's mother.

Or to show that you are not sure about the statement. Normally it is not used though.

... isn't that a contradiction? (emphasise versus not being sure)
I'll forget about that whole -dIr-thing for now, when it's not used normally anyway.

Bugün kelime 'kedi'ye buldum, iyi kelime! Biraz 'cat'/ 'kat' ile aynı, çakışma mı?
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

onurdolar

Postby onurdolar » 2012-10-19, 12:41

Kedi sözcüğünün kökeni tam olarak bilinmemekle birlikte; Ermenice katu/gadu veya Farsça kedi ( evcil anlamına geliyormuş ) sözcüklerinden Türkçeye geçmiş olabilieceği tahmin ediliyor. Akdeniz ve çevresinden doğan bütün uygarlıklar bu hayvan için benzer sözcükler kullanmışlar aynı kökten türemiş olmaları olası.

The origin of word "kedi" is not completely known however, it might be originated from either armenian word katu/gadu or persian word "kedi" (which does not mean cat but means domestic ). All civilizations originated from Mediterranean zone use a similar word for the domestic cat so it's possible that cat/katze/kedi share the same origin.

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”