King-Size Translations

Moderator:voron

voron
Language Forum Moderator
Re: King-Size Translations

Postby voron » 2013-02-13, 21:14

kalemiye wrote:I'm sorry, but this month is being crazy for a lot of personal reasons. I hope I can be back some time by the end of this month.

No problem. Modus and I will enjoy our nargile and play a game or two of tavla while there are no girls around. :P

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-02-16, 22:51

Yalnızlıktan hoşlanan sıkılgan biriydi. Uyuyakaldıktan biraz sonra başının otobüsün sarsıntısıyla yanındaki yolcunun omzuna, sonra da göğsüne düştüğünü bilseydi çok utanırdı.

Gövdesi komşusunun üzerine düşen yolcu iyi niyetli, doğru düzgün bir insandı ve bu özellikleri yüzünden özel hayatlarında hareketsiz ve başarısız olan Çehov kahramanları gibi kederliydi hep. Keder konusuna daha sonra çok döneceğiz.

Bu rahatsız oturuşu ile daha fazla uyuyamayacağını anladığım yolcunun adının Kerim Alakuşoğlu olduğunu, ama bundan hiç hoşlanmadığı için kendisine adının ilk harfleriyle Ka denmesini tercih ettiğini, bu kitapta da öyle yapacağımı hemen söyleyeyim.

He was shy and liked loneliness. If he knew that soon after he felt to sleep, he would, with the jerking of the bus, fall onto the nearby passenger’s shoulder, then on his chest, he would be very ashamed.

The traveller whose body fell onto his neighbour was a good-natured, honest, and open person, and due to these qualities, just like those Chekhov characters who are static and unsuccessful in their personal lives, always depressed. We will return many times to this topic of depression later on.

As I understand that the traveller will not be able to sleep much longer in this uncomfortable position, let me say right away that, due to his name being Kerim Alakuşoğlu but his not liking this name at all and preferring to be called ‘Ka’ with the first letters of the name, I will do so too in this book.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2013-02-21, 11:48

I may have tried for too much...

Kahramanımız daha okul yıllarındayken ödev ve sınav kâğıtlarına adını inatla Ka diye yazar, üniversitede yoklama kâğıdını Ka diye imzalar, bu konuda öğretmenleri ve devlet memurlarıyla her seferinde kavga çıkarmayı göze alırdı.

Annesine, ailesine, dostlarına kabul ettirdiği bu adla şiir kitaplarını da yayımladığı için Ka adının Türkiye'de ve Almanya'daki Türkler arasında küçük ve esrarlı bir ünü vardı.

Şimdi, Erzurum garajından ayrıldıktan sonra yolculara iyi seyahatler dileyen şoför gibi ben de ekleyeyim: Yolun açık olsun sevgili Ka... Ama sizi kandırmak istemem: Ka'nın eski bir arkadaşıyım ve Kars'ta başına gelecekleri daha bu hikayeyi anlatmaya başlamadan biliyorum ben.

Horasan'dan sonra otobüs kuzeye Kars'a doğru saptı. Kıvrılarak yükselen yokuşların birinde birdenbire bir at arabası belirip şoför sıkı bir fren yapınca Ka hemen uyandı. Otobüsün içinde oluşan o birlik beraberlik havasına katılması çok vakit almadı.

Dönemeçlerde, kayalık uçurum kenarlarında otobüs yavaşladıkça, şoförün hemen arkasında oturmasına rağmen o da arkadaki yolcular gibi yolu daha iyi görebilmek için ayağa kalkıyor, buğulanan ön camı şoföre yardım şevkiyle silen bir yolcuya gözden kaçan bir köşeyi parmağıyla işaret edip göstermeye çalışıyor (yardımı fark edilmemişti), tipi azıtınca bir anda bembeyaz kesen ön cama silecekler yetişemeyince şoför gibi o da artık hiç gözükmeyen asfaltın nereye doğru uzandığını çıkarmaya çalışıyordu.

While our character was still in his school years, he would stubbornly write Ka as his name on his homework and test papers, in university he would sign his attendance paper [= ?] as Ka, he would risk starting a fight at every occasion with his teachers and the government officials over this issue.

Because he published books of poetry with this name that he forced his mother, his family, and his friends to accept, the name Ka had a small and mysterious reputation among Turks in Turkey and Germany.

Now, like the driver who said happy travels to the passengers after leaving the Erzurum bus station, let me also add: bon voyage, dear Ka... But I don't want to deceive you. I am an old friend of Ka's and I know what will happen to him in Kars even before starting to tell this story.

After Horasan the bus turned north towards Kars. On one of the bending rising slopes, a horse carriage suddenly appeared and when the driver stepped hard on the brakes Ka immediately woke up. Inside the bus his joining that atmosphere of solidarity that was taking shape did not take much time.

At bends, whenever the bus slowed down at the edges of rocky cliffs, despite sitting right behind the driver, like the passengers in the back he would get up in order to be able to better see the road, he would try to point out and show with his finger an overlooked corner to a passenger who was wiping the front window, which was fogging up, with the zeal of helping the driver (Ka's help was not noticed), when the blizzard got wild and the wipers could not keep up with the front window that was suddenly "cutting" snow-white [=?], like the driver he would try to make out towards where that paved road that no longer appeared was going.

Questions:

1) About the diye in the first sentence, this is basically the extension of the "quotation mark" diye to writing? So "X diye yazmak" just means "write X", just like "X diye bağırmak" means "shout X', right?

2) What exactly is a yoklama kâğıdı?

3) I'm having trouble with the "da" in "Annesine, ailesine, dostlarına kabul ettirdiği bu adla şiir kitaplarını da yayımladığı için". How should I understand it?

4) Is "birlik beraberlik" treated as a single unit or did I misread that sentence?

5) The last "sentence" was very hard but I think I puzzled it out except I have no idea what "bir anda bembeyaz kesen ön cam" means.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-02-23, 13:00

1) About the diye in the first sentence, this is basically the extension of the "quotation mark" diye to writing? So "X diye yazmak" just means "write X", just like "X diye bağırmak" means "shout X', right?

Yes. Google gives numerous examples of "diye yazdım" or "diye bağırdım", e.g. 'Kimse beni sevmiyor' diye bağırdım.

By looking at google image results I assume it's exactly what the name says, a book for keeping track of a student's attendance to lectures.

I'm having trouble with the "da" in "Annesine, ailesine, dostlarına kabul ettirdiği bu adla şiir kitaplarını da yayımladığı için". How should I understand it?

My undestanding: Because he published books with this name, too.

4) Is "birlik beraberlik" treated as a single unit or did I misread that sentence?

Yes it's a single unit.

5) The last "sentence" was very hard but I think I puzzled it out except I have no idea what "bir anda bembeyaz kesen ön cam" means.

It's only the meaning of "kesmek" which is unclear here, right? I have no idea either. None of the defintions listed by TDK seem to fit.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2013-02-23, 14:52

Thanks.

voron wrote:
I'm having trouble with the "da" in "Annesine, ailesine, dostlarına kabul ettirdiği bu adla şiir kitaplarını da yayımladığı için". How should I understand it?

My undestanding: Because he published books with this name, too.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

It's only the meaning of "kesmek" which is unclear here, right? I have no idea either. None of the defintions listed by TDK seem to fit.

Yeah, I have no idea what "kesmek" can mean here, but I'm also therefore unsure of what to do with "bembeyaz".

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2013-02-23, 17:19

Bembeyaz kesilmek means that state of shock or panic/terror in which people becomes white as a sheet. Here I assume that "bembeyaz kesen" means that the fact that anything could be barely seen through the glass was scary, or maybe it points to the fact that everywhere is covered by snow.
Last edited by kalemiye on 2013-02-23, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Not available

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2013-02-23, 17:26

By looking at google image results I assume it's exactly what the name says, a book for keeping track of a student's attendance to lectures.

Yoklamak means to call the roll, and the yoklama kâğıdı is what voron has just described :)
Not available

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-02-25, 1:40

Yol işaretleri kar tuttuğu için okunmuyordu. Tipi iyice bastırınca şoför uzak ışıklarını kapattı ve yan karanlıkta yol daha belirginleşirken otobüsün içi karanlıklaştı.

Korkular içindeki yolcular birbirleriyle hiç konuşmadan karlar altındaki fakir kasabacıkların sokaklarına, kırık dökük tek katlı evlerin soluk lambalarına, uzak köylerin şimdiden kapanmış yollarına ve lambaların belli belirsiz aydınlattığı uçurumlara baktılar. Konuşurlarsa fısıldaşarak konuşuyorlardı.

Kucağına düşerek uyuyakaldığı koltuk komşusu Ka'ya böyle bir fısıltıyla Kars'a ne amaçla gittiğini sordu. Ka'nın Kars'ın yerlisi olmadığını anlamak kolaydı.

"Gazeteciyim," diye fısıldadı Ka... Bu doğru değildi. "Belediye seçimleri ve intihar eden kadınlar için gidiyorum." Bu doğruydu.

"Kars'ta belediye başkanının öldürüldüğünü ve kadınların intihar ettiğini bütün İstanbul gazeteleri yazmışlar," dedi koltuk komşusu, Ka'nın gurur mu utanç mı olduğunu çıkaramadığı kuvvetli bir duyguyla.

Üç gün sonra, Kars'ta karlar altındaki Halitpaşa Caddesi'nde gözlerinden yaşlar akarken tekrar karşılaşacağı bu ince, yakışıklı köylüyle Ka yolculuk boyunca ara ara konuştu.

The road signs could not be read because the snow plastered them. When the snowstorm thoroughly intensified, the driver turned off the brights and in semidarkness, while the road became more visible, the insides of the bus darkened.

The feared passengers without talking to each other watched the streets of poor little towns covered with snow, the faint lamps of decrepit one-story houses, the roads of distant villages, already closed, and the abysses, which the lamps bairly lightened. If they talked, they talked in whisper.

The neighbour in the next seat, by falling into whose embrace Ka felt asleep, asked Ka in this kind of whisper for what purpose he was going to Kars. It was easy to understand that Ka wasn't a local of Kars.

"I am a journalist," whispered Ka. This wasn't true. "I am going because of municipal elections and women who commit suicide." This was true.

"All Istanbul newspapers wrote that in Kars, the mayor was killed and that women commited suicide," said the neighbour with a strong feeling, which Kar couldn't figure out as being pride or shame.

Occasionally during the trip, Ka talked to this thin handsome villager, whom he would meet again 3 days later, while tears streaming from his eyes in Halitpaşa street, covered with the snow of Kars.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2013-03-01, 12:16

I asked about "bembayaz kesmek" on the wordreference.com forums, and the main answer seemed to be that it's just about turning white, although I like kalemiye's suggestion that it might be related to the panic that's also described.

-------

Kars'taki hastane yeterli olmadığı için annesini Erzurum'a götürdüğünü, Kars yakınlarındaki köyünde hayvancılık yaptığını, zarzor geçindiklerini ama isyancı olmadığını, kendisi için değil Ka'ya açıklamadığı esrarengiz nedenlerden ülkesi için üzüldüğünü, Ka gibi okumuş yazmış birinin Kars'ın dertleri için ta İstanbul'dan gelmesine memnun olduğunu öğrendi.

Yalın sözlerinde, konuşurkenki mağrur halinde Ka'da saygı uyandıran soylu bir yan vardı.

Adamın varlığının kendisine huzur verdiğini hissetmişti Ka.

Almanya'da on iki yıl boyunca hissetmediği türden bu huzuru Ka kendinden güçsüz birisini anlayıp ona şefkat duymaktan hoşlandığı zamanlardan hatırlıyordu.

Böyle zamanlarda, dünyaya acıma ve sevgi duyduğu adamın gözüyle bakmaya çalışırdı. Ka bunu yapınca bitip tükenmeyen kar fırtınasından daha az korktuğunu, uçuruma yuvarlanmayacaklarını, geç de olsa otobüsün Kars'a varacağını anladı.

He learned that he took his mother to Erzurum because the hospital in Kars wasn't adequate, that he bred animals in his village that was near Kars, that they barely made a living but he was not a rebel, that he was upset not for himself but for his country due to mysterious reasons that he did not reveal to Ka, that he was happy that someone like Ka who read and wrote would come from Istanbul for the problems of Kars.

In his simple words, in his proud state while speaking, there was a noble side that awakened respect in Ka.

Ka felt that the man's presence gave him peace.

Ka, this peace of whose was from the kind he had not felt during ten years in Germany, was remembering the times he had understood somebody weaker than himself and enjoyed feeling compassion for him.

In such times, he would try to look with the eye of the man who felt compassion and love for the world. When Ka did this, he understood that he had less fear of the snow storm that was not ending nor dying off, that they would not roll over towards a cliff, and that even if late, he would make it to Kars.

------

I honestly have no idea what to do with "Almanya'da on iki yıl boyunca hissetmediği türden bu huzuru Ka...". I double checked the (lack of) punctuation on google books, and decided in the end that this must be one of those weird relative clauses, but I'm not sure at all.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-03-02, 0:53

Almanya'da on iki yıl boyunca hissetmediği türden bu huzuru Ka kendinden güçsüz birisini anlayıp ona şefkat duymaktan hoşlandığı zamanlardan hatırlıyordu.

I take it that "huzuru" is the object of "hatırlıyordu", and the whole sentence translates as:
Ka was remembering this peace, of the kind he hadn't felt in Germany for 12 years, from the times when he would understand somebody weeker than himself and enjoy feeling compassion for him.

kalemiye, oyuna dönüyor musun? Öyleyse, sıra sende!

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2013-03-02, 5:21

expect my translation tomorrow ;)
Not available

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2013-03-02, 8:43

voron wrote:

I take it that "huzuru" is the object of "hatırlıyordu", and the whole sentence translates as:
Ka was remembering this peace, of the kind he hadn't felt in Germany for 12 years, from the times when he would understand somebody weeker than himself and enjoy feeling compassion for him.

Yes, I see now. For some reason I thought hatırlamak took the ablative. And I guess that Ka is not the explicit subject here, but just goes with Ka kendi. (And I even missed the iki, so tough sentence throughout :)).

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2013-03-05, 18:14

Arkadaşlar, kaç gündür Google Docs'daki dosyaları açmaya çalışıyorum ama açılmıyor, siz de aynı sorunu yaşıyor musunuz?
Not available

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-03-05, 18:35

Özür dilerim, ben silmiş olmalıyım yanlışlıkla. Şimdi yine yükledim, açılmalı. Bu arada bende daha güzel düzenlenmiş bir versiyon var, onu da eve dönünce yükleceğim.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2013-03-07, 10:31

Bence sorun tarayıcımdan kaynaklanır, kaç gündür sıkıntı yaşıyorum :( Bu akşam girmeye çalışacağım, umarım bu sefer başaracağım! Çok teşekkür ederim Voron'cuğum.
Not available

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-03-16, 10:47

kalemiye, dokumanı indirmekte hala zorluk çekiyor musun? Özür dilerim ama süren dolduğu için sırayı ben alıyorum. :P Bir de tercümeye ilgimizin biraz azaltığını gördüğüm için çevirmemiz gereken Kar bölümünün sayısını birine kestim. Onu bitirince biraz dinleyip inşallah yeni ilginç bir metin başlayacağız.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Otobüs karlar altındaki Kars sokaklarına saat onda, üç saat gecikmiş olarak girdiğinde Ka şehri hiç tanıyamadı.

Yirmi yıl önce raya buharlı trenle geldiği bahar gününde karşısına çıkan istasyon binasının da, arabacının onu bütün şehri dolaştırdıktan sonra götürdüğü her odası telefonlu Cumhuriyet Oteli'nin de nerede olgunu (olduğunu?) çıkaramadı.

Karın altında her şey silinmiş, kaybolmuş gibiydi. Garajlarda bekleyen biriki at arabası geçmişi hatırlatıyordu ama şehir yıllar önce Ka'nın gördüğünden ve hatırladığından çok daha kederli ve yoksuldu.

Ka otobüsün buz tutmuş pencerelerinden son on yılda Türkiye'nin her yerinde benzerleri yapılmış beton apartmanları, her yeri birbirine benzeten pleksiglas panoları ve sokakların bir yanından öbür yanına gerilmiş iplerin üzerine asılmış seçim afişlerini gördü.

Otobüsten inip ayağı yumuşacık kara değer değmez pantolonunun paçalarından keskin bir soğuk girdi, İstanbul'dan telefon edip yer ayırttığı Karpalas Oteli'ni sorarken otobüsün muavininden bavullarını alan yolcular arasında tanıdık yüzler gördü ama kar altında bu kişilerin kim olduklarım (olduklarını?) çıkaramadı.

When at ten o’clock the bus entered the snow-covered streets of Kars, being 3 hours late, Ka could not recognize the city at all.

He couldn’t discern either the station building, which had opposed him when he’d arrived by steam engine on a spring day 20 years earlier, or the Hotel Republic, telephone in every room, where the driver had taken him after riding him around the whole city.

It was as if everything was erased, lost under the snow. A few horse carriages waiting in the garrages reminded him the past, but the city was much poorer and more sorrowful than what Ka had seen and remembered from years earlier.

Through the frozen bus windows Kar saw the same concrete apartments that had been made all around Turkey in the last 10 years, the pleksiglas panels that made every place resemble one another, and the election posters that hang on the strings streched from one side of streets to another.

As he got off the bus and his feet touched the soft snow, an acute cold entered through his trousers’ cuffs. While he was asking for the Karpalas Hotel where he had called from Istanbul and booked a room, he saw familiar faces among travellers that were getting their luggage from the driver’s assistant, but in the snow couldn’t tell who they were.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2013-04-01, 20:06

Sorry for the super-long delay.

----

Otele yerleştikten sonra gittiği Yeşilyurt Lokantası'nda yeniden gördü onları. Yıpranmış, yorgun, ama hala yakışıklı ve havalı bir erkekle, onun hayat arkadaşı olduğu anlaşılan şişman ama hareketli bir kadın.

Ka onları İstanbul'dan, 1970'lerin bol sloganlı siyasal tiyatrolarından hatırlıyordu: Adamın adı Sunay Zaim'di. Dalgın dalgın onları seyrederken kadının ilkokuldan sınıf arkadaşı bir kıza benzediğini de çıkardı.

Ka tiyatrocu çevrelerine özgü solgun ve ölü teni masadaki diğer erkeklerde de gördü: Bu karlı Şubat gecesinde, bu unutulmuş şehirde, bu küçük tiyatro kumpanyasının ne işi vardı?

Yirmi yıl önce kravatlı memurların devam ettiği bu lokantadan çıkmadan önce Ka bir başka masada 1970'lerin eli silahlı solcu kahramanlarından birini de gördüğünü sandı.

Yoksullaşıp soluklaşan Kars ve lokanta gibi, hatıraları da kar altında silinmiş gibiydi.

After settling in at the hotel, he saw them again in the Yeşilyurt Restaurant that he went to. A worn-out, tired, but still good-looking and stylish man and a seemingly fat but active woman who was his wife.

Ka remembered them from Istanbul, from the political theatres of the seventies with their many slogans. The man's name was Sunay Zaim. While he watched them absentmindedly, he made out that the woman resembled a female classmate from primary school.

Ka also saw on the other men at the table the pale and dead complexion unique to the surroundings of the actor. On this snowy February night, in this forgotten city, what business did this small theatre company have?

Before leaving this restaurant that twenty years ago was supported by tie-wearing civil servants, Ka thought he saw one of the heroes of the armed left from the seventies at another table.

Like Kars and the restaurant, which had become poor and pale, his memories too were as if wiped away under the snow.

---

What does the "eli" in "eli silahlı solcu kahraman" mean?
Last edited by modus.irrealis on 2013-04-02, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

Schwarzrat

Postby Schwarzrat » 2013-04-01, 21:09

Doesn't it mean that they are hand armed ?
Native : [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]gsw[/flag] (alsatian - no problem in comprehension... to use it, that's something else... -)
Upper Intermediate : [flag]en[/flag]
Intermediate : [flag]de[/flag]
Beginner : [flag]tr[/flag]
Wanderlust : [flag]yih[/flag] (western yiddish) [flag]az[/flag] [flag]kk[/flag] [flag]uz[/flag] [flag]ku[/flag]

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-04-02, 10:06

modus, geç olsun da güç olmasın :)

eli silahlı solcu kahraman

I take it as a synonym of silahlı:
eli silahlı (olan) = his hand (being) armed

There is a similar expression "eli silah tutan", also meaning "armed".

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2013-04-02, 21:21

Thanks. It was the -i ending that confused me most, but I guess that makes sense.

After looking over my translation, I realize I misunderstood how "anlaşılan" works. Dictionaries called it an adverb and I assumed it modified what comes after it, but it really still functions as a verb, right? I should have realized this from the form "olduğu" in any case. So it should really be "and a fat but active woman who was apparently his wife", which makes a lot more sense.

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”