Kısa sorular / Short Questions

Moderator:voron

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Kısa sorular / Short Questions

Postby Multiturquoise » 2016-12-02, 0:25

Solarius wrote:I have a question about the genitive. I know that most nouns take -In as the suffix in the genitive, but are there any that take -m instead? Like if for example you were talking about a class's book, in which you are a part of class, would one say:

Sınıfım kitabı

Or would one say

Sınıfın kitabı?

Thanks!

"Sınıfın kitabı" means the class' book. "A class' book" would be "Sınıf kitabı" or "Bir sınıfın kitabı".
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

phyavuz

Postby phyavuz » 2016-12-04, 5:14

Solarius wrote:I have a question about the genitive. I know that most nouns take -In as the suffix in the genitive, but are there any that take -m instead? Like if for example you were talking about a class's book, in which you are a part of class, would one say:

Sınıfım kitabı

Or would one say

Sınıfın kitabı?

Thanks!

You have to say:

Sınıfımın Kitabı

which means "My class's book".

nadi

Postby nadi » 2017-01-29, 22:59

Sınıfım kitabı

Or would one say

Sınıfın kitabı?

Thanks!

No, "sınıfım kitabı" is wrong. Here are some alternative expressions depending on what you might want to say:

Sınıfın kitabı = the book of the class
Sınıf kitabı = the book of a class
Sınıfımın kitabı = the book of my class

Be careful! "-m" is the suffix which means "my". Here are some examples:

para = money param = my money
halı = carpet halım = my carpet
kedi = cat kedim = my cat

If you have noticed, all these three examples above end in a vowel and the suffix is "-m". When a noun ends in a consonant, the suffix changes like the examples below:

ev = house evim = my house
saç = hair saçım = my hair
okul = school okulum = my school
düğün = wedding düğünüm = my wedding

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-02, 2:18

Does başkenti bu şehir ülke mean 'the country of which this city is the capital'?

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-03-18, 21:20

Türkçe'de "teperleme" gibi bir kelime var mı? Bu sabah iş akardaşım, Kıbrıs Rumca'da /tɛpːʰɛrlɛmɛ/ dedi, ve şimdi atimoloji arıyorum. Anlamı "full to the brim".

Is there a word like "teperleme" in Turkish? This morning a coworked used /tɛpːʰɛrlɛmɛ/ in CyG, and now I'm trying to find the etymology. The meaning was "full to the brim".
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-03-31, 20:01

md0 wrote:Türkçe'de "teperleme" gibi bir kelime var mı? Bu sabah iş akardaşım, Kıbrıs Rumca'da /tɛpːʰɛrlɛmɛ/ dedi, ve şimdi atimoloji arıyorum. Anlamı "full to the brim".

Mümkünse o kelimeyle bağlantılı değil, ancak Arnavutça'da tepër kelimesi var, anlamı "extremely, too much". Ama aradığım Türkçe sözlüğünde değildi. O, tuhaftır, çünkü Türkçe'den çıktığı bir söze benzediyor!
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-03-31, 20:37

Michael wrote:benzediyor

Benzetmek is not benz+etmek, it's benze+t(causative suffix)+mek, so its present tense is "benzetiyor".

In your sentence, you need "benzemek" though.

sage_velgard

Postby sage_velgard » 2017-03-31, 22:34

md0 wrote:Türkçe'de "teperleme" gibi bir kelime var mı? Bu sabah iş akardaşım, Kıbrıs Rumca'da /tɛpːʰɛrlɛmɛ/ dedi, ve şimdi atimoloji arıyorum. Anlamı "full to the brim".

Is there a word like "teperleme" in Turkish? This morning a coworked used /tɛpːʰɛrlɛmɛ/ in CyG, and now I'm trying to find the etymology. The meaning was "full to the brim".

it is "tepeleme". "tepe" means hill, top, peak etc...

http://nisanyansozluk.com/?k=tepe

sage_velgard

Postby sage_velgard » 2017-03-31, 22:37

vijayjohn wrote:Does başkenti bu şehir ülke mean 'the country of which this city is the capital'?

başkenti bu şehir olan ülke

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-06, 11:12

I just learned about bu , Şu and o.

In the sentence : bak arkadaşım şurada , can I change the last word to burada and orada respectively?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-05-07, 12:51

Dr. House wrote:In the sentence : bak arkadaşım şurada, can I change the last word to burada and orada respectively?

Yes, sure you can. Burada is somewhere immediately next to you, şurada is close, orada is far.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-08, 7:49

:silly:
voron wrote:
Dr. House wrote:In the sentence : bak arkadaşım şurada, can I change the last word to burada and orada respectively?

Yes, sure you can. Burada is somewhere immediately next to you, şurada is close, orada is far.

Thanks. The other day I saw a press conference with Erdoğan and Putin. The interpreter had harder time translating what Erdoğan was saying probably, because he had to wait for the sentence to end before he could successfuly translate what was being said. Is it because the verb is at the very end and you have to wait for it to uncover the meaning?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-05-08, 9:01

Dr. House wrote:The other day I saw a press conference with Erdoğan and Putin. The interpreter had harder time translating what Erdoğan was saying probably, because he had to wait for the sentence to end before he could successfuly translate what was being said. Is it because the verb is at the very end and you have to wait for it to uncover the meaning?

Yes, it's a known issue of translating between Turkish and an IE language, not only because the verb is in the end, but also because of the left branching syntax of Turkish. The translator has to wait until the end of the sentence until they can start translating.

For example, the sentence: "This is the cat who lives in the house that Jack built" in Turkish will sound like:
Bu, Jack'in inşa ettiği evde yaşayan kedi.
Which is literally:
This, by Jack built in house living cat.

The left branching is also a problem when subtitling films in Turkish. If a sentence in the subtitle doesn't fit the screen and has to be split in 2 parts, A and B, it is often the case that when the character is saying A the part B is shown, and then vice versa.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-09, 15:11

voron wrote:
Dr. House wrote:The other day I saw a press conference with Erdoğan and Putin. The interpreter had harder time translating what Erdoğan was saying probably, because he had to wait for the sentence to end before he could successfuly translate what was being said. Is it because the verb is at the very end and you have to wait for it to uncover the meaning?

Yes, it's a known issue of translating between Turkish and an IE language, not only because the verb is in the end, but also because of the left branching syntax of Turkish. The translator has to wait until the end of the sentence until they can start translating.

For example, the sentence: "This is the cat who lives in the house that Jack built" in Turkish will sound like:
Bu, Jack'in inşa ettiği evde yaşayan kedi.
Which is literally:
This, by Jack built in house living cat.

The left branching is also a problem when subtitling films in Turkish. If a sentence in the subtitle doesn't fit the screen and has to be split in 2 parts, A and B, it is often the case that when the character is saying A the part B is shown, and then vice versa.

Yeah. This is similar to Japanese. "Tomorrow 7 o'clock at Tanaka mr. with dinner (particle) eat. :)

buzulkusu

Postby buzulkusu » 2017-05-29, 23:09

Sınıfım kitabı

Or would one say

Sınıfın kitabı?

Thanks!

Ders kitabı mı diyorsunuz, yoklama defteri mi diyorsunuz?

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-06-10, 8:42

Yesterday I heard tamilce pronounced as tsamilce. Is this a dialectal thing?

kabraxis

Postby kabraxis » 2017-07-19, 16:57

Dr. House wrote:Yesterday I heard tamilce pronounced as tsamilce. Is this a dialectal thing?

Probably the speaker is a lisper, or have a strong Balkan accent

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-07-20, 17:16

Thanks. ;)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-24, 4:10

Is çiğ pirinç yerdim really the way to say 'I used to eat raw rice' in Turkish? Why yerdim and not yedim?

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-09-24, 5:18

vijayjohn wrote:Is çiğ pirinç yerdim really the way to say 'I used to eat raw rice' in Turkish? Why yerdim and not yedim?

Just venturing a guess here: Yer- here seems to be a contraction of the verb root ye- with the imperfective-aspect affix -Ar-.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”