where is the mistake ?

Moderator:voron

adventrue
where is the mistake ?

Postby adventrue » 2009-10-22, 18:43

In the following sentences there is one grammatical mistake per phrase. Could you translate these sentences to me to start with?
And can you tell me where these mistakes are and explain why they are mistakes?
I am at a loss to find them, I don't understand the meaning of the phrases in the first place (except the third one).

Ülkenin bütün fertleri elele verip kalkinmak icin sabirla calismaliyiz.

Ahmet, ise gec kalacaginin farkina varmadan yavasca giyinip disari cikti.

Kuzu eti, tam saglikli ve yasli olmayan kimselerce yenmelidir.

And could someone explain to me the difference in the following two sentences, identical except for a comma?

"Gümrük memurunun nisanlisi da, evine döndükten sonra fenalasip öldü."
"Gümrük memurunun nisanlisi da evine döndükten sonra, fenalasip öldü."

nadi

Re: where is the mistake ?

Postby nadi » 2009-10-27, 17:28

1. Ülkenin bütün fertleri elele verip kalkinmak icin sabirla calismaliyiz.

The problem in this sentence is subject-verb agreement. The subject is 3rd person plural but the verb is in the 1st person plural form. The correct sentence should be like this:

Ülkenin bütün fertleri el ele verip kalkınmak için sabırla çalışmalı.
All the individuals of the country should join hands and work patiently to make progress.

2. Ahmet, ise gec kalacaginin farkina varmadan yavasca giyinip disari cikti.

This sentence seems quite normal to me, but I think it is better to say:

Ahmet geç kaldığının farkına varmadan yavaşça giyinip dışarı çıktı.
Ahmet, without realising he was late for work, got dressed slowly and went out.

3. Kuzu eti, tam saglikli ve yasli olmayan kimselerce yenmelidir.

The translation of this sentence is, “Lamb meat should be eaten by people who are not fully healthy and old.”
You see, the meaning is weird. Also, it is not necessary to say “tam sağlıklı”. “Sağlıklı” is enough to express the idea. Hence,

Kuzu eti sağlıklı ve genç kimselerce yenmelidir.
Lamb meat should be eaten by healthy and young people.

"Gümrük memurunun nisanlisi da, evine döndükten sonra fenalasip öldü."

In this sentence the emphasis is on the death of the customs officer’s fiancee. Someone else died and the customs officer’s fiancee also died. The translation might be like this:

The fiancee of the customs officer also got worse and died after she had turned back to her house.

"Gümrük memurunun nisanlisi da evine döndükten sonra, fenalasip öldü."

First of all we should say that in this sentence the one who died is not the fiancee of the customs officer. Another person died and the emphasis is on the time when this person died. The translation is:

He/she got worse and died after the fiancee of the customs officer also turned back to her house.

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2009-10-28, 16:38

Thank you very much.

As things are, I have more questions:

If "Ülkenin bütün fertleri el ele verip kalkınmak için sabırla çalışmalı." means "All the individuals of the country should join hands and work patiently to make progress.", how would you translate into Turkish the sentence "We, the individuals of this country, should patiently work hand in hand to make progress"

In this sentence: "Kuzu eti sağlıklı ve genç kimselerce yenmelidir. " what does the suffixe -ce in the word "kimselerce" mean exactly?

nadi

Postby nadi » 2009-10-28, 17:20

You seem to be determined to learn this language, Adventure. :congrats:

adventrue wrote: how would you translate into Turkish the sentence "We, the individuals of this country, should patiently work hand in hand to make progress"

There are some other slightly different alternatives, but I think this translation is the best:

Bu ülkenin fertleri olan bizler kalkınmak için el ele sabırla çalışmalıyız.

adventrue wrote:In this sentence: "Kuzu eti sağlıklı ve genç kimselerce yenmelidir. " what does the suffixe -ce in the word "kimselerce" mean exactly?

As you see, this sentence is a passive sentence. The suffix "-ce" means "by" here. "kimselerce" can also be said as "kimseler tarafından".
sağlıklı ve genç kimselerce = sağlıklı ve genç kimseler tarafından = by healthy and young people

ufuk

Postby ufuk » 2011-09-07, 14:45

I hope it's not too late to explain :)

Ülkenin bütün fertleri elele verip kalkınmak için sabırla çalışmalıyız.

This totally should be

Ülkenin bütün fertleri elele verip ülkeyi kalkındırmak için sabırla çalışmalıyız.

Because, when the subject is fertler, kalkınmak is not an appropriate verb. Besides, we have to add "ülkeyi" because "ülkenin bütün fertleri elele verip" is an adverbial clause and thus kalkınmak needs a subject.

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”