Translation - Sivas Ellerinde Sazım Çalınır

Moderator:voron

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Translation - Sivas Ellerinde Sazım Çalınır

Postby eskandar » 2009-09-03, 16:45

Can anyone help translate this poem by Pir Sultan Abdal? I understand most of the words, but I can't get the meaning. Şimdiden teşekkürler!

Kul olayım kalem tutan ellere
Katip arzuhalim yaz yare böyle
Şekerler ezeyim şirin dillere

Güzelim ey bir tanem ey gül yüzlüm ey

Sıvas ellerinde sazım çalınır
Çamlıbeller bölük bölük bölünür
Yardan ayrılmışam bağrım delinir

Pir Sultan Abdal'ım ey Hızır Paşa
Yazılan geliyor sağ olan başa
Beni hasret koydun kavim kardaşa

Please correct my mistakes in any language.

kalemiye

Re: Translation - Sivas Ellerinde Sazım Çalınır

Postby kalemiye » 2009-09-03, 17:34

I will try, but I am not good at translating poetry anyways... so wait until a native speaker translates it or corrects my translation.

eskandar wrote:Kul Olayım Kalem Tutan Ellere,
Kâtip Arzuhalim Yaz Yare Böyle.
Sekerler Ezeyim Şirin Dillere,
Güzelim Ey Güzelim Ey Güzelim Ey Ey.

I become slave of the hands that hold a pen
Scribe/writer write my request to my beloved like this
Sweets I squeeze to/for the pleasant languages/tongues/speeches
Scribe Arzuhalim write to my beloved like this
ey my beautiful, ey my beautiful, ey my beautiful, ey ey.

Sivas Ellerinde Sazım Çalınır,
Çamlı Beller Bölük Bölük Bölünür.
Yardan Ayrılmışam Bağrım Delinir,

İn the hands of Sivas my saz is played (this must be an image or something)
Pine-made paddles are separated in groups (?) <-- I don't understand this sentence.I found out recently that Camlibel is a place in Turkey, but I dont know if this is refering to the place or what.
If I am separated from my beloved my heart is pierced
Scribe, write my request to my beloved like this
My beauty, ey my beauty, ey my beauty, ey ey

Pir Sultan Abdal'ım Ey Hızır Paşa,
Gör Ki Neler Gelir Sağ Olan Basa.
Beni Hasret Koydun Kavim Kardaşa,

I am Pir Sultan Abdal, ey Hizir Pacha,
See that you never know what future has in store for you (it is a proverb)
You left me longing for my brother/sister, my tribe (I think it means that that man loves that girl so much that He cannot pay attention to anybody or anything)
Scribe write my request to my beloved like this
my beauty ey my beauty ey my beauty ey ey

It sucks, I know, but I hope it makes some sense after the few corrections I just made. Let's see if somebody drops by and corrects it. I am not really into poetry.
Last edited by kalemiye on 2009-09-05, 23:01, edited 2 times in total.
Not available

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2009-09-03, 20:29

eskandar wrote:Güzelim ey bir tanem ey gül yüzlüm ey

gül yüzlüm = my rose-faced.

As for Çamlibel, it seems it is a place in Turkey, but I am not sure if the poem is refering to it or not.
Not available

nadi

Postby nadi » 2009-09-07, 14:41

Pir Sultan Abdal was an alevi poet (ministrel). Alevis are members of one of the two islamic sects (alevis and sunnis) in Turkey. In Pir Sultan Abdal’s lifetime there was a dispute between the Ottoman management and the alevi community. Pir Sultan Abdal was a dedicated and ardent supporter of the alevi sect.
Hızır Paşa was Pir Sultan Abdal’s student. Later, he became the governor of Sivas, Pir Sultan Abdal’s city. It is said that Hızır Paşa put Pir Sultan Abdal into prison and then he hanged him.

The lyrics of this “deyiş” (songs sang by Turkish ministrels) express Pir Sultan Abdal’s reproach to Hızır Paşa, who put him into prison and kept him away from his beloved ones. There are some symbolic expressions and the style is rather native which makes it a bit difficult for foreigners to understand.

Kul olayım kalem tutan ellere = I become the slave of the ones who hold a pen (I am grateful for enlightened, wise, educated people)
Katip arzuhalim yaz yare böyle = Oh scribe, write about my wishes to my love in this way.
Şekerler ezeyim şirin dillere = I grind sweets for the lovely tongues (who speak nicely)

Güzelim ey bir tanem ey gül yüzlüm ey = My beautiful (darling), my unique one, my rose-faced (darling). (This line is frequently seen in many other folk songs in Turkish. Here “ey” is both a way of addressing the darling and a comlement for the tune)

Sıvas ellerinde sazım çalınır = My saz is played in the province of Sivas. (the saz is a Turkish musical instrument. “el = il”. “il” roughly means province, county, region.)
Çamlıbeller bölük bölük bölünür = Çamlıbel (mountains) are divided into pieces. (Çamlıbel Mountains are a chain of mountains in Sivas. This line must be said by him to express his severe feelings of unhappiness, because it is common in Turkish language to use “parçalanmak, bölük bölük olmak, kırılmak, delinmek, etc. to express negative feelings.)
Yardan ayrılmışam bağrım delinir = I got separated from my love and my chest is (being) pierced. (My heart is full of pain)

Pir Sultan Abdal'ım ey Hızır Paşa = I am Pir Sultan Abdal, Oh, Hızır Paşa!
Yazılan geliyor sağ olan başa = What is written (the destiny) is sure to experience/come true.
Beni hasret koydun kavim kardaşa = You have left me in longing for my kinsmen and brothers/sisters.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2009-09-07, 17:46

[flag]en[/flag] Wow, thanks a lot Nadi, now the poem really makes sense!! I had trouble translating because I didn't know anything about the poet, thus I couldn't really understand what the poem was about.

Do you know of any website in English/Turkish about Turkish literature? I have one of those "hazırlık' kitapları' for ÖSS of Turkish literature, but it only covers the literature of Tanzimat period)

[flag]tr[/flag] Vey be! Güzel cevabınız için çok teşekkür ederiz! Şu anda şiirin anlamı açık oldu, çok iyi bahsetmiştin. Ben iyi tercüme edemedim, çünkü şair hakkında hiç bir şey bilmiyordum, bu yüzden şiirin konusu aklıma gelemedi! :) :goodjob: :thanks:

Sana göre, en iyi Türk edebiyatı sayfası hangi internette? Ben bir tane Türk edebiyatini anlatan ÖSS 'hazırlık kitabi'm var, fakat o sadece Tanzimat dönemin edebiyati hakkında bahsediyor.

Hatalarımı düzeltin, lütfen!
Not available

nadi

Postby nadi » 2009-09-08, 2:50

kalemiye wrote: Vay be! Güzel cevabın_ için çok teşekkür ederiz! Şu anda şiirin anlamı açık oldu, çok iyi bahsetmiştin. Ben iyi tercüme edemedim, çünkü şair hakkında hiç bir şey bilmiyordum, bu yüzden şiirin konusunu anlayamadım!
Sana göre, en iyi Türk edebiyatı sayfası hangi internet sayfasında? Benim Türk edebiyatini anlatan bir ÖSS 'hazırlık kitabi'm var, fakat o sadece Tanzimat dönemi_ edebiyati hakkında bilgi veriyor.

Hatalarımı düzelt_, lütfen!

:nope: Kendine haksızlık etme. Halk edebiyatı Türkçe'yi yeni öğrenenler için oldukça zordur. Senin çevirin de hiç fena değil.

Türk Edebiyatı ile ilgili bir site bilmiyorum ama Google'da arama yaptım ve şu iki sitedeki bilgilerin yararlı olabileceğini gördüm:

http://www.edebiyatogretmeni.net/islami ... biyati.htm
http://edebiyatdunyasi.blogcu.com/entry ... -edebiyati

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2009-10-07, 22:15

nadi wrote:Hızır Paşa was Pir Sultan Abdal’s student. Later, he became the governor of Sivas, Pir Sultan Abdal’s city. It is said that Hızır Paşa put Pir Sultan Abdal into prison and then he hanged him.

Thanks for clarifying the context - I thought "Hızır Paşa" referred to Hızır peygamber in this song :oops: And thank you very much for your translation!
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

nadi

Postby nadi » 2009-10-08, 11:56

eskandar wrote:Thanks for clarifying the context - I thought "Hızır Paşa" referred to Hızır peygamber in this song :oops: And thank you very much for your translation!

Not at all, Eskandar. I am happy to help you.

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”