Orkhon script

Moderator:voron

snovymgodom
Orkhon script

Postby snovymgodom » 2009-04-04, 19:44

Is there anyone here who is able to read the Orkhon/Old Turkic script?
I know it is not used nowadays, but I have a strong interest in Orkhon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkhon_script

kalemiye

Re: Orkhon script

Postby kalemiye » 2009-06-18, 16:24

People that study Turkology are normally able to read them. I had a classmate who was Hungarian but since his major was Turkology he was taught how to read them. As you said, it is not used any longer, so the chances of meeting people that actually learnt how to read or write, especially the latter, are low.

Nevertheless, this ancient Turkish runes seemed to suit the Turkish language(s) very well, being quite easy to read correctly and decypher, unlike the Perso-Arabic script that was used later. :) I am sorry I cannot give you more information about this.

By the way, in the article the word shown as an example (tanrı) is actually written in Ottoman Turkish as تاکری tangrı, then this nasal 'n' that is still represented in uyghur as ک (that letter, but with three dots placed on it), while in Modern TUrkish and Azeri that nasal "n" has disappeared and it is written as plain "n" :).
Not available

utku

Postby utku » 2009-12-08, 13:54

I am sure that every Turkish person whose attention was drawn to Old Runic Script has already tried to write own name in this script :) It's funny...

kalemiye wrote:By the way, in the article the word shown as an example (tanrı) is actually written in Ottoman Turkish as تاکری tangrı, then this nasal 'n' that is still represented in uyghur as ک (that letter, but with three dots placed on it), while in Modern TUrkish and Azeri that nasal "n" has disappeared and it is written as plain "n" :).

In Anatolian rural regions, people still sound "nasal n". like, "ŋ'apıyoŋ len?" for "Ne yapiyorsun ulan?" meaning "Hey, what are you doing?"
Image"Oel ngati kameie"
| Anadil / Native Speaker [flag]tr[/flag] | Advanced Image | Learner / Niveau B2 [flag]de[/flag] | boş zaman öldürmek için Image |

nadi

Postby nadi » 2009-12-08, 17:03

utku wrote:In Anatolian rural regions, people still sound "nasal n". like, "ŋ'apıyoŋ len?" for "Ne yapiyorsun ulan?" meaning "Hey, what are you doing?"

You are right. This “ŋ” sound still lives and frequent in Anatolian dialects. Since the Istanbul accent is our standard accent and it doesn’t have this sound, we don’t have it in our alphabet. For example, this differentiation between “n” and “ŋ” is a must in the town where I was born. Look at the examples:

Gen = gene
Geŋ = uncultivated piece of land

An = moment
Aŋ = the borderline between two fields

Malını = his/her preperty
Malıŋı = your propery

Yanış = burning
Yaŋış = motif

utku

Postby utku » 2009-12-08, 20:53

nadi wrote:For example, this differentiation between “n” and “ŋ” is a must in the town where I was born.

Gonya mi?
Image"Oel ngati kameie"
| Anadil / Native Speaker [flag]tr[/flag] | Advanced Image | Learner / Niveau B2 [flag]de[/flag] | boş zaman öldürmek için Image |

Mert

Postby Mert » 2009-12-08, 21:40

utku wrote:
nadi wrote:For example, this differentiation between “n” and “ŋ” is a must in the town where I was born.

Gonya mi?

Before Latin alphabet, there was "sağır kef" letter in the ex alphabet. That used to be used for nasal n. Nevertheless that letter wouldn't be used mostly.
ه ه
ل
پ

nadi

Postby nadi » 2009-12-09, 4:39

utku wrote:

Gonya mi?

:) Hayır, Gonya değil.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2009-12-09, 10:39

Could you record yourself saying these words you mentioned? I feel curious about them :) I knew that certain dialects of Turkish do have ñ, but I didn't know it still could differenciate words.
Not available

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”