Turkish rap - Caney?

Moderator:voron

I am squirrel
Turkish rap - Caney?

Postby I am squirrel » 2008-11-26, 18:11

Hi everyone!
I have been wanting to learn Turkish, but haven't had the time yet. I study German, and a lot of the music (rap and hip-hop) is performed primarily by immigrants from Turkey or people with Turkish ancestry. I noticed in several songs that they use the word "Caney". I tried to find out what it means with no luck. It looks liked a name, but I am not entirely sure. Also, why do they use it? Is there some type of English rap equivalent? Thanks :)
native:Image
fluent (C2+):Image
Beginner -Teaching myself:Image,Taking a class:Image
Corrections are ALWAYS welcome, especially in Image and Image

Hypocrisy

Re: Turkish rap - Caney?

Postby Hypocrisy » 2008-11-27, 15:47

Hi "I'm squirrel".

It's good to see new people who want to learn Turkish on Unilang. I,for one, am sorry for belated answers. Unilang seems to lack of native speakers of Turkish recently.

As to your question, "Caney" has no meaning on its own. I did some research over your question and found out a few worthwhile information. There is a song called "Caney Caney" which is pretty popular in weddings. A kind of Anatolian folk dance song. It is originally a Kurdish song which was translated into Turkish later on. I think you should visit Kurdish sub-forum and consult with the native speakers of Kurdish. (The pure form of the word is "canê".)

Is it likely that you've misheard it?

I am squirrel

Postby I am squirrel » 2008-11-27, 16:56

Hi Hypocrisy. It's not a problem at all. :) I appreciate any answers, help, etc.

I found the lyrics and video to the song just in case you would like to see them: http://www.onlylyrics.com/song.php?id=1009684 - lyrics and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uoGKvE_xkY - video. Another possibility might be that it is Turkish-German thing. I notice it quite often in German rap performed by Turkish rappers.

I will also check in the Kurdish sub-forum too. :)
native:Image
fluent (C2+):Image
Beginner -Teaching myself:Image,Taking a class:Image
Corrections are ALWAYS welcome, especially in Image and Image

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2008-11-27, 19:54

He does mention Kurds in the song, and there are some people holding a Kurdish flag in the video. As you know, there are a ton of Kurds (mostly from Turkey) in Germany. So, I think there's a good chance it could be from Kurdish, but all I could find is that Canê is used as a given name in Kurdish.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

mavi0090

Postby mavi0090 » 2013-07-13, 5:24

Hi friends. I'm Kenan from İstanbul. I saw your question about "caney" and noticed that you couldnt get a correct answer. So i'm writing now.
Caney word comes from canım word in Turkish language. Usually Kurdish origin Anatolian people use this word. I'm not a Kurd but i like to use it too. And canım word means "my life" in English language. Its an endearment word in my language. Its a late answer after years but better than never :)
Cheers!

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”