How long should it take?

Koko
How long should it take?

Postby Koko » 2014-01-05, 22:36

How long should it take for one to become fluent-enough in Lingua Latina?

linguoboy

Re: How long should it take?

Postby linguoboy » 2014-01-05, 22:56

Koko wrote:How long should it take for one to become fluent-enough in Lingua Latina?

Fluent enough for what?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-01-05, 23:01

To hold a conversion, to speak it at random, but still not knowing all the words that have been found(I am assuming that there are words in Latin used only in casual intercourse rather than in literature; our source for the Latin inventory.)

I would also like some good, reliable sources for learning Latin(like word-lists and "appendixes" for their uses).

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-01-05, 23:05

Koko wrote:To hold a conversion, to speak it at random, but still not knowing all the words that have been found(I am assuming that there are words in Latin used only in casual intercourse rather than in literature; our source for the Latin inventory.)

Becoming conversational in Latin is going to depend crucially on finding speakers to practice with, and they are thin on the ground. Would you be studying on your own or are there specific programmes you're looking at?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-01-05, 23:26

I'm studying alone; I don't know of local Latin enthusiasts. So far my vocabulary is very small compared to what I know in Italian(which is quite good save a few misunderstandings). If you know of good sources for Latin, would any be for Classical? I despise Eclesiastical Latin.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-01-06, 1:23

Most of what I've seen is for Classical, actually. Even my friends who had classes in Catholic schools generally learned Classical pronunciation and used texts from the Golden Age.

Bernard

Postby Bernard » 2014-01-06, 10:29

Forsitan utilis tibi sit hic liber: https://archive.org/stream/latinphrasebookt00meis#page/n0/mode/2up.
Quam saepissime descende in hoc forum! Noli cunctari scribere!

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-01-09, 4:23

Would these three sentences be correct?:
Filia mea illum puerum amat. Est quoddam non mē placet. Ille est miles; non erit fidelis.

And I am aware it is commonly mea filia and may also be non amō.

Bernard

Postby Bernard » 2014-01-09, 9:09

Salve!

Filia mea illum puerum amat] sine vitio.

Est quoddam non placet] Insunt haec vitia:
1) non quoddam, sed pronomen relativum quod;
2) non me, sed mihi (dativ.: aliquid mihi placet = something is agreeable/acceptable to me);
3) non placet (indicat.), sed placeat (subiunct. consecutiv.). Scribi oportet:
Est quod mihi non placeat.
(i. e. There is something that does not please me = that is not acceptable/agreeable to me).

Ille est miles; non erit fidelis] sine vitio.

And I am aware it is commonly mea filia and may also be non amō.
]
1) Aut filia mea aut mea filia;
2) non amo = I do not love: Cur id scripsisti?

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2014-11-17, 4:55

Koko wrote:I'm studying alone; I don't know of local Latin enthusiasts.
I see you live in "British Columbia". Do you live near the Vancouver-Coquitlam area? You could meet a Latin enthusiast then.

:D

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-25, 8:15

Nah. Thompson-Okanagon. If I happened to find a Latin enthusiast here, it would be a miracle if they live in my city. I am not going anywhere just to practice for a couple hours.

BTW, Latin still interests me, but I've put it on hold. My main focuses has changed to Italian and slavic languages :D .

Return to “Latin (Latina)”