Help in Latin, Intensive Course

KevinK
Help in Latin, Intensive Course

Postby KevinK » 2010-06-26, 17:58

Hey Everyone

I am wondering if anyone can help me out with the Latin language. I recently bought a book called Latin: An Intensive Course by Floyd L. Moreland and Rita M. Fleicher. I am enjoying it, but when the tests come I am finding it confusing. If anyone has any expertise in the Latin language can you please post on here or PM me. I have been a long time lurker on this forum and decided to join up finally.

Question 1. On unit one it says: Decline porta, turba and regina fully. Does that mean they want me to put all the endings down for the five basic groups. Ae, I, is, us and ei? or just Ae endings, like Nominative a, Genitive ae, Dative Ae, accusative am ,ablative a, then the plural forms for ae?? I am new to the Latin language so I am still lost. Hopefully I can get some feedback and I am looking forward to getting to know you guys on here. Any help will be great :lol:

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, new here.
Veni Vidi Vici

KingHarvest

Re: Help in Latin, Intensive Course

Postby KingHarvest » 2010-06-26, 21:48

You're making this far too complicated for yourself. Every noun is in only one declension, and these three nouns are in the first declension which is declined as follows:

sing. plur.
Nom -a -ae
Gen -ae -arum
Dat -ae -is
Acc -am -as
Abl -a -is

Which is essentially what they are asking for.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2010-06-26, 21:59

You forgot vocative. It is the same as nominative in this declension.

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2010-06-26, 22:41

Well, technically I also forgot the locative, but usually in courses when they ask to decline a noun they don't care about the vocative and locative because they're so rarely used.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Nero

Postby Nero » 2010-06-26, 22:58

Agreed with King; the normal declension paradigm is Nom - Gen - Dat - Acc - Abl (at least in the United States). In Britain it is Nom - Acc - Gen - Dat - Abl. The other two cases are hardly ever included in the list.

KevinK, I also have "Latin: An intensive Course". The edition of the book may be different (mine is blue with the title going diagonal) but the chapters are probably the same, so if you have any questions, I might be able to look up the exact parts.

KevinK

Postby KevinK » 2010-06-27, 0:07

Thanks for the information, yeah I think I have the same book you do (blue, with the title going diagonal). I have just started learning Latin as a hobby, so hopefully I can learn the language pretty quickly.
Veni Vidi Vici

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2010-06-27, 0:11

Nero wrote:Agreed with King; the normal declension paradigm is Nom - Gen - Dat - Acc - Abl (at least in the United States). In Britain it is Nom - Acc - Gen - Dat - Abl. The other two cases are hardly ever included in the list.

KevinK, I also have "Latin: An intensive Course". The edition of the book may be different (mine is blue with the title going diagonal) but the chapters are probably the same, so if you have any questions, I might be able to look up the exact parts.

Really? That's strange.
When I learned Latin in high school we used to decline it with vocative, and in this order:
Nom - Gen - Dat - Acc - Voc - Abl.

loqu

Postby loqu » 2010-07-06, 6:49

We also learnt the paradigms always with the vocative, with the order N - V - Ac - G - D - Ab.

Rumpetroll, is the order of the declension cases like that in Serbian? That could possibly explain that order in Latin. Traditions are strong.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Return to “Latin (Latina)”