Nuntii Latini

Varislintu
Nuntii Latini

Postby Varislintu » 2009-01-04, 9:22

Hope people don't mind me starting a whole new topic on this, but I'd like to share a link :).

Nuntii Latini

"Nuntii Latini - News in Latin - is a weekly review of world news in Classical Latin, the only international broadcast of its kind in the world, produced by YLE, the Finnish Broadcasting Company."

Babelfish

Re: Nuntii Latini

Postby Babelfish » 2009-01-09, 16:02

I don't think anyone should mind... Thanks for reminding me about this site 8-) It seems to have short articles so I can spend a bit of time here and there on keeping my rusty Latin alive. See you in February :P

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2009-02-13, 16:24

Quae sunt vestrae opiniones de stilo scriptionis illo in situ? In classica Latina verba in terminis sententiarum saepe locatum iri scio, sed texta nuntiorum non nunquam hac pro norma scripta esse visi.
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Swienegel

Postby Swienegel » 2013-07-03, 20:56

Just a short update on Varislintu's link (or Varislinnun link):
You can find a description of the finnish Nuntii Latini on
http://yle.fi/radio1/tiede/nuntii_latin ... 24554.html
- and click on the headline "Nuntii Latini" to get to the latin-language newspage.

By the way, there's a similar project in Germany! The public broadcasting station Radio Bremen publishes Nuntii Latini weekly (Nuntii Latini Septimanales) and monthly (Nuntii Latini mensis [Iunii...]).
Like with yle's news, you can read and listen to the articles.
http://www.radiobremen.de/nachrichten/latein/

I recommend to listen to the finnish and german audio files one after another and compare the accents, it's fun :yep:

Bernard

Postby Bernard » 2013-07-04, 10:40

Swienegel scripsit / wrote:...I recommend to listen to the finnish and german audio files one after another and compare the accents, it's fun ...
His temporibus nemo Latine loquens sermonem suum patrium celare potest: Alius alio more Latine loquitur: Britanni more Britannico, Finni more Finnico, Germani more Germanico, Hebraei more Hebraico, Itali more Italico &c. &c. &c. Neque quisquam dubitat quin plurimum referat locutionem tam claram esse et distinctam ut facile intellegatur.
:yep:

Vaureniathel

Postby Vaureniathel » 2013-07-04, 15:37

I've heard about it, there's also a newspaper called Ephemeris which has news in Latin *-*

http://ephemeris.alcuinus.net/

Swienegel

Postby Swienegel » 2013-07-06, 13:33

Bernard, I didn't say it was different from how you explain it. It's only fun to listen to.
I don't think that anyone pronounces latin in the right way and others don't - well, maybe accidentally, and noone would know ;)

There are some things we know for example of changes in the pronounciation through time. Some random things can be found out through writing errors. (Someone wrote a word the way it was pronounced at that time, although it was wrong in the conservative orthography...) But those are really only random things... In my opinion the whole discussion about the pronounciation of the ancient languages is pointless, we have to accept that we will never find out how they were pronounced.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-07-09, 20:44

Swienegel wrote: In my opinion the whole discussion about the pronounciation of the ancient languages is pointless, we have to accept that we will never find out how they were pronounced.

It's not as if Classical Latin had weird clicks or something. Some stuff seems pretty obvious to me, the details are where it gets confusing.

For example, the l seems to be an actual l, but is it dark like in Catalan or clear like in Castilian?
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-07-28, 5:08

I agree, although what you say about the l is interesting. I'd never thought about it. I guess I always assumed that it was clear like in Castillian, but looking at the Wikipedia article for Latin, I suddenly found this about the Latin /l/:

Existed in two allophones: l exilis before /l/ and /i/, and l pinguis in all other positions, however the precise phonetic realisation of these allophones is uncertain.

Return to “Latin (Latina)”