Translate/Översättning

Brädan
Translate/Översättning

Postby Brädan » 2008-04-04, 13:11

Hello!
I hope someone can help me with a translation to latin. In English it says: "BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATHER". In swedish it says: "BLOD ÄR TJOCKARE ÄN VATTEN". It means that family comes first.

I hope someone has the knowledge to help me and make a correct translation. It´s for a tatoo, so i need it as right as posible. :-)

Jalethon

Postby Jalethon » 2008-04-04, 15:51

Hello. I can provide you with two different options. Number one:

Multum valet coniunctio sanguinis

This phrase literally translates to 'much [things] is worth bond [of] blood' or, somewhat more idiomatic: 'A bond of blood is powerful.'

The other option is:

Cognatio multum potest

Literally here, this translates to 'Relationship [has] much influence' in which 'relationship' is closer to the English word 'consanguinity,' id est 'of the same blood,' thusly applying to relatives.

Personally, I think the first one is more beautiful than the second one. You can google both of them up and you'll find some notable hits that will tell you the same.

Note: you can vary all the U's into V's and I's into J's and vice versa. I simply put it the way I think it'd be nice. I'll give you two examples of using the present day spelling and older spelling:

MVLTVM VALET CONIVNCTIO SANGVINIS

Multum valet conjunctio sanguinis

Nero

Postby Nero » 2008-04-13, 23:23

Jalethon's translations are very good. I'll provide the literal translation, incase it must be 100% literal.

Sanguis Crassior Aquā Est

You could omit the "est" and just say "Sanguis Crassior Aquā", if you choose.

mughwI' QaQqu' ghaH Jalethon'e'. mu' pup DaghajnISchugh jIpup 'ej mu' vImughchu'.

Sanguis Crassior Aquā est

"est"vetlh DateqlaH 'ej bIneHchugh "Sanguis Crassior Aquā" DajatlhlaH neH.

Return to “Latin (Latina)”