ego - latina

Ioannes

Postby Ioannes » 2007-07-18, 1:02

Yeah, yeah, I know your story, Cicero! Anyway, if you just want to pass your Caesar exam by speeding through the curriculum, be my guest!

Luís, why didn't just pick up a language history book on Latin to Portuguese? They would point out the changes and, for obvious reason, focus on Vulgar Latin.
LINGVAE BARBARIORVM STVDEO

ego

Postby ego » 2007-07-18, 11:52

Ioannes wrote:Yeah, yeah, I know your story, Cicero! Anyway, if you just want to pass your Caesar exam by speeding through the curriculum, be my guest!

Sorry I destroyed your dream of having convos in Latin on some Greek island's beach :lol: . We'll stick to English and perhaps some Tok Pisin, ok?

Ioannes

Postby Ioannes » 2007-07-18, 13:53

ego wrote:
Ioannes wrote:Yeah, yeah, I know your story, Cicero! Anyway, if you just want to pass your Caesar exam by speeding through the curriculum, be my guest!

Sorry I destroyed your dream of having convos in Latin on some Greek island's beach :lol: . We'll stick to English and perhaps some Tok Pisin, ok?

Wouldn't it be nice, though? :wink: We could talk shit about the yankees and Germans in Latin and Ancient Greek :twisted:

Ioannes

Postby Ioannes » 2007-07-18, 14:23

Btw, I won't be back before 30th of July, I'm taking a trip to Ireland ... so see you guys! videbimur postea!

Ioannes

Postby Ioannes » 2007-09-03, 23:52

PERGE! AGE! NVNC!

I just want you to know that I'm reading through Commentarii de Bello Gallico. Isn't that your curriculum?

You should start reading - give us your translation! :wink:

ego

Postby ego » 2007-09-26, 12:13

I have a question:

My book has a hyphen in the dative, at the declension table of the pronoun iste. I guess it's a typo and its dative is isti. Right?

Ioannes

Postby Ioannes » 2007-09-26, 14:11

ego wrote:I have a question:

My book has a hyphen in the dative, at the declension table of the pronoun iste. I guess it's a typo and its dative is isti. Right?

What? Your book said ist-i? Im sure they just did it to show the root.

Anyway, 'isti' is dat. sg. of all genders, yes.

ad notam: "istius" g.sg.

ego

Postby ego » 2007-09-26, 17:16

Ioannes wrote:What? Your book said ist-i? Im sure they just did it to show the root.

No. My book said just (-). Thanks anyway

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2007-09-27, 9:52

Just "-" without any form? As in "iste, istius, -, istum, isto"? That would mean there is no dative, I guess, though I've never heard that iste lacks the dative.
There are other words which lack certain forms, meaning afaik that these specific forms are nowhere to be found in classical texts, but may well have existed (correct me on this if necessary, Ioannes, 10x!)

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-09-27, 9:58

Both of my grammar books also agree with Ioannes, in that it did exist and was isti.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

ego

Postby ego » 2007-09-27, 11:37

It was obviously a typo

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-09-27, 12:07

ego wrote:It was obviously a typo

Ou talvez hora de arranjar um livro novo. :twisted:

:)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

ego

Postby ego » 2007-11-14, 20:04

I have a suspicion that I will be asked many pragmatological questions at the exam. I don't know the English term, I mean questions not on the language but rather about the political and social situation of the times described in the book. Do you know any good source for such info? The book I examine is "de bello civili"

Ioannes

Postby Ioannes » 2007-11-14, 21:20

ego wrote:I have a suspicion that I will be asked many pragmatological questions at the exam. I don't know the English term, I mean questions not on the language but rather about the political and social situation of the times described in the book. Do you know any good source for such info? The book I examine is "de bello civili"

This is common, yes! The best you could do is to know the story in the actual book, i.e. to know what the book is all about.

Thus you should read the book in translation many times as well. I haven't read de bello civili :oops: - but you should get an overview (doesn't need to be so detailed) over the actual conflicts in the story... and some info of the characters. But don't take thing too seriously. And remember: by knowing the background and the outline of the story, it actually makes it much easier to translate the text into Modern Greek :p

Here's the Wikipedia site on Commentarii de bello civili in English:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commentari ... llo_Civili

as you can see, it's very short, but the French text is longer:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commentair ... rre_civile

You can also check out the Italian one (just run it through babelfish or something)...

I dunno have more info than that! BUUUUUUUUT:
Most translators comment the text they translate, so look for an english/greek translation of the book and read the praefatio (it should be satis)

ego

Postby ego » 2007-11-14, 21:23

It has a prefix and an overview but it's so detailed that I miss the point. Instead of giving an analysis of the conditions at those times the author cites all the battles that happened during that war and all the persons involved! So it's just a comfusio of names

Ioannes

Postby Ioannes » 2007-11-14, 22:30

ego wrote:It has a prefix and an overview but it's so detailed that I miss the point. Instead of giving an analysis of the conditions at those times the author cites all the battles that happened during that war and all the persons involved! So it's just a comfusio of names

btw, what does your quote mean? :o

ego

Postby ego » 2007-11-14, 22:33

Ioannes wrote:
ego wrote:It has a prefix and an overview but it's so detailed that I miss the point. Instead of giving an analysis of the conditions at those times the author cites all the battles that happened during that war and all the persons involved! So it's just a comfusio of names

btw, what does your quote mean? :o

It's not ancient Greek, it's Byzantine Greek. It means "anathema to the letters, Christ, and to those who want them". By letters he meant education

ego

Postby ego » 2007-11-29, 19:18

How would someone say "OK" in Latin?

Ioannes

Postby Ioannes » 2007-11-29, 22:05

ego wrote:How would someone say "OK" in Latin?

Well, the question isn't easy, because it's hard to say what the definition of "OK" is even in English (or any other language). In comedies the word "bene" is sufficient enough, which more than less means that the person approves (approbare).

My Conversational Latin books provides following translations:

O.K. = fiat or licet!

We're O.K. = bene habemus
Last edited by Ioannes on 2007-11-29, 22:10, edited 2 times in total.

ego

Postby ego » 2007-11-29, 22:07

Thanks. After the exams I will read Asterix in Latin. I want to learn some more colloquial Latin that de bello civili

Return to “Latin (Latina)”