Postby kesanan » 2008-10-18, 9:51

Thanks for helping me for 2 times.^^

You are so kind :D
TE AMO "Veritas"...

Martine

Re: Translation

Postby Martine » 2008-10-18, 18:33

Salvete!
Ego Martina est. Ego lingwam latinam disco. Latina difficilis est. Ego nunc explicare.
I started curs of Latin in September. I think it's very difficult and the grammar is complicated. However I'm translating a text from Latin into Polish. I don't know some words and I'm looking for help here. What does it mean "dare"? I can't find it in my dictionary.
"Puerum propare et Tullum filio librum pulchrum dare cognoscimus"
I can't work out this sentence without knowing the word "dare". Maybe it's from verb "daro, dare"? I can't find it in dictionary, too :(
And what does "tite" mean? I know that's imperativus praesentis activi in singular. But I don't know the meaning of "tite" and I can't find it.
I'm looking for help!
Greetings from Poland :)

loqu

Postby loqu » 2008-10-18, 18:59

Martine wrote:Salvete!
Ego Martina est. Ego lingwam latinam disco. Latina difficilis est. Ego nunc explicare.
I started curs of Latin in September. I think it's very difficult and the grammar is complicated. However I'm translating a text from Latin into Polish. I don't know some words and I'm looking for help here. What does it mean "dare"? I can't find it in my dictionary.
"Puerum propare et Tullum filio librum pulchrum dare cognoscimus"
I can't work out this sentence without knowing the word "dare". Maybe it's from verb "daro, dare"? I can't find it in dictionary, too :(
And what does "tite" mean? I know that's imperativus praesentis activi in singular. But I don't know the meaning of "tite" and I can't find it.
I'm looking for help!
Greetings from Poland :)

dare is from verb do, dare, dedi, datum (to give).
Tite is vocative from Titus as far as I know, in my dictionaries no other word has that possible form, but there may exist since my Latin knowledge is not that good.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2008-10-18, 20:52

You didn't copy that sentence down correctly, propare isn't a word. Do you mean properare, to hurry, hasten? I'm also assuming you mean Tullium, not Tullum. But yes, dare is from do, dare, dedi, datus. And yes, Tite is the vocative of the praenomen Titus. Ego nunc explicare isn't proper grammatically, infinitives can only replace finite verbs for past tenses. And it's linguam, there's no w in Latin.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Martine

Postby Martine » 2008-10-19, 11:50

loqu Thanks for help!
KingHarvest Yes, it's properare. I'm sorry. Thanks for your help! You helped me very much! I'm beginner so I do many mistakes...

I still don't know the meaning of "titus"...

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2008-10-19, 16:00

Titus is just a name.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Martine

Postby Martine » 2008-12-01, 18:46

KingHarvest Thanks you a lot. Now I know more about Latin grammar, but sometimes it's dificult for me. Now I've to translate one sentence: " Auditisne cunctos Europae populos per saecula a Graecis et Romanis multa accipere?". Please, help me.... :hmm:

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2008-12-02, 1:49

I'm not sure how much help you'd like, so giving minimal help, does it help to undo the indirect discourse and think of it as

Auditisne that cuncti Europae populi per saecula a Graecis et Romanis multa accipiunt?

Auditisne is auditis + -ne, where -ne signals it's a question.

Martine

Postby Martine » 2008-12-02, 18:55

Thanks you very much!

AdiJapan

Postby AdiJapan » 2008-12-03, 5:08

Hi. I need some help with understanding a short paragraph in Latin. Here it is:

"U in fine nullo accentu notatum semivocalis est, adeoque medio tantum sono efferendum ac tonus in penultima syllaba figendus est, ut in allatis exemplis videre est, ubi u ultimum vix auditur. E contra dum tonus in ultima syllaba figendus est, tunc ù accentu gravi notatur et integrum sonum recuperat."

It's from a 19th century book on the Romanian language and I suppose it gives details about the pronunciation of a certain sound (of Latin origin). In the meantime that sound has disappeard from Romanian and I'd like to find out how it used to be pronounced.

Thanks.
[flag]ro[/flag] maternă  [flag]us[/flag] pretty well  [flag]fr[/flag] pas mal  [flag]ja[/flag] 順調

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2008-12-03, 16:04

I'm not sure the described sound has any Latin origins, it's just described in Latin... I don't understand quite a lot of it :oops: But basically it seems to state that a final unaccented U is a semivowel, and in that case the stress is on the penultimate syllable and the -u- is barely heard; if the stress is on the ultima then U is marked with a grave accent (ù) and is a full sound.
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

AdiJapan

Postby AdiJapan » 2008-12-04, 3:07

Babelfish wrote:I'm not sure the described sound has any Latin origins, it's just described in Latin... I don't understand quite a lot of it :oops: But basically it seems to state that a final unaccented U is a semivowel, and in that case the stress is on the penultimate syllable and the -u- is barely heard; if the stress is on the ultima then U is marked with a grave accent (ù) and is a full sound.

Thanks. This confirms what I thought it said. I'm still curious about the exact wording though.

The information that the final u is of Latin origin (from -us and -um) comes from other sources.
[flag]ro[/flag] maternă  [flag]us[/flag] pretty well  [flag]fr[/flag] pas mal  [flag]ja[/flag] 順調

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2008-12-04, 16:51

Here's my attempt at a literal translation, but it doesn't add much to what Babelfish already said:

A u at the end marked with no accent is a semivowel, and indeed is to be pronounced with only a medium sound and the accent is to be fixed on the penultimate syllable, as can be seen in the examples brought forward, where the final u is hardly heard. On the other hand, provided that the accent is to be fixed on the ultimate syllable, then the ù is marked with a grave accent and regains its entire sound.

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by medius sonus (what I translated as "medium sound") beyond its not being a full vowel.

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2008-12-05, 0:26

I have no idea what it may mean either. I'll look into Latin grammatical terms later if I have time.
-A.E. Housman

AdiJapan

Postby AdiJapan » 2008-12-05, 3:25

Thank you, modus.irrealis.

I think medius sonus is supposed to have approximately the same meaning as vix auditur, that is, a vowel not being fully pronounced, such as a semivowel or a labialization of the preceding consonant. In the same book, other terms are used with a similar meaning: dimidius, dimidius enunciatur, dimidius auditur.

By the way, I'm talking about this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=aX0SAAAAIAAJ, where the paragraph in question is at page 9.

Thank you all for helping me.

Return to “Latin (Latina)”