Izankan saya?

Moderator:atalarikt

benderwriter
Izankan saya?

Postby benderwriter » 2016-01-23, 20:35

Halo semuanya!

This looks like a wonderful forum and I'm looking forward to visiting your country within the next year. I hope it's ok to make a new post for this question. I'm writing a novel in which a minor character is Indonesian. In the scene, when he is about to help someone cut a slice of fruit, he takes the knife from that person and says "Allow me." Is google translate correct in translating that to "Izinkan saya" or would he say something different? What would it be if he said "Let me do that for you."

Thanks for any help! :D

DannyAlex

Re: Izankan saya?

Postby DannyAlex » 2016-03-07, 8:37

Firstly, I am actually a Malay speaker who speak Malaysian Malay. But I may know some Indonesian. Yes, "izinkan saya" is the correct translation for "let me/allow me". But from what I knew, if on familiar level, the person could say "Ijinkan aku".

benderwriter

Postby benderwriter » 2016-03-07, 14:38

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help.

Wishing you a wonderful day.

David

ailsaurus

Postby ailsaurus » 2016-06-23, 8:52

Hi!

I am a native Indonesian and yep, izinkan saya is correct!
However if you would like to write it in a more informal way, you can use "Izinkan aku"

If you ever need any help feel free to message me!

benderwriter

Postby benderwriter » 2016-06-24, 1:21

Thank you! I really appreciate the response. Thanks also for the offer of future help. When it comes to the Indonesian language, I need all the help I can get!! :D

ailsaurus

Postby ailsaurus » 2016-06-28, 4:45

benderwriter wrote:Thank you! I really appreciate the response. Thanks also for the offer of future help. When it comes to the Indonesian language, I need all the help I can get!! :D

Any time David! Dengan senang hati! :lol:

benderwriter

Postby benderwriter » 2016-06-28, 15:20

And dengan senang hati to you, too. (I sure hope that means "Be Happy" and not something terrible. :hmm: )

Thanks again,

David

ailsaurus

Postby ailsaurus » 2016-06-28, 17:26

benderwriter wrote:And dengan senang hati to you, too. (I sure hope that means "Be Happy" and not something terrible. :hmm: )

Thanks again,

David

Hahaha nice try! They translate to "with pleasure!"
But if you translate the word one by one,

Dengan: with
Senang: happy
Hati: heart

So it's "With happy heart" which actually means "With pleasure!"
It still makes sense, doesn't it? ;)

benderwriter

Postby benderwriter » 2016-06-28, 21:12

Definitely makes sense. WAY better than "Be happy". It sure is good that Indonesians are such nice people, because when I finally get over there for a visit I'm probably going to mangle your language a hundred different ways.

David

ailsaurus

Postby ailsaurus » 2016-06-28, 22:30

benderwriter wrote:Definitely makes sense. WAY better than "Be happy". It sure is good that Indonesians are such nice people, because when I finally get over there for a visit I'm probably going to mangle your language a hundred different ways.

David

I see! What are you planning to do here? If you are really planning to come here I recommend you to learn the local dialect a little too! It would come in handy because we use the dialects more in daily life than the Indonesian language itself, and most of us don't speak English although it's taught in schools here! :lol:

Also some of our people's first language might not be Indonesian. But mine is, because my parents are from different Indonesian ethnics! I once joined a national science camp in junior high school and I was having a hard time understanding a girl from Papua xD In the end my friend understood what she meant - she wanted to have some of my chocolate I was holding! hahaha

benderwriter

Postby benderwriter » 2016-06-29, 1:29

Well, it's good your friend helped you share some chocolate and make a new friend. If the situation had depended on my Indonesian language skills, it might have turned into a food fight.

I'm hoping to get to Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand sometime between October and February. In the novel I'm writing there's a character who gets into some trouble on a ferry going between Singapore, Batam and Karimun, so I just want to make sure I get those details right. From what I've heard, Karimun isn't exactly the best representation of Indonesia, so I'd like to visit other parts as well. (If you have suggestions, please let me know.) Then a couple I know invited me to spend time visiting and writing at their place in northern Thailand before I head home.

By the way, your own English is perfect...far better than that of most native Americans. You must have had some excellent teachers or spent a lot of time with English-speaking folks. Either way, it's pretty impressive!

Dave

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-30, 18:04

Halo Dave! I don't know anything about visiting Indonesia or anything, but I was just going to say I'm an American myself who's also interested in learning Indonesian. I've met a few Indonesian people in person (and online of course), and they've all been friendly to me, too. My Indonesian is really bad, though. :P Hopefully I'll manage to improve it.

benderwriter

Postby benderwriter » 2016-06-30, 20:06

Yes...It would be nice if we were born with chips in our brains that allowed us to speak every language, but in the meantime we'll have fun learning as best we can and jumble plenty of phrases along the way!

Take care,

Dave

benderwriter

Postby benderwriter » 2017-02-02, 12:21

Thank you. Sorry for my late reply. I've been traveling and just arrived in Singapore. Looking forward to seeing a bit of Indonesia but I will only have a few days to do that. Thank you again.

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”