Can I take this chair?

Moderator:atalarikt

fun2learn
Can I take this chair?

Postby fun2learn » 2015-02-20, 2:28

How to respond to, "Can I take this chair" in Melayu?
Often, while in a coffee shop in Kuala Lumpur, someone will approach me and ask if they can take the chair (like if you are at a small table with 2 chairs by yourself and they want to take the spare chair). I usually I reply with "ya", but I would also like to say something additional like, "You may take the chair". No Google translate and feel free to change the wording to something that is usually said in this situation. In other words, don't translate word for word.

הענט

Re: Can I take this chair?

Postby הענט » 2015-12-24, 7:24

fun2learn wrote:How to respond to, "Can I take this chair" in Melayu?
Often, while in a coffee shop in Kuala Lumpur, someone will approach me and ask if they can take the chair (like if you are at a small table with 2 chairs by yourself and they want to take the spare chair). I usually I reply with "ya", but I would also like to say something additional like, "You may take the chair". No Google translate and feel free to change the wording to something that is usually said in this situation. In other words, don't translate word for word.

Why do you need the same sentence in 12 different languages.

ailsaurus

Postby ailsaurus » 2016-06-23, 9:00

I think "Ya" is completely acceptable, but in my opinion it would be more polite if you add another word like "Ya, boleh!" (Yes, (you) can!), or "Ya, tentu!" (yes, sure!)

It would also be acceptable to say "Silakan" (You may), but that's in Indonesian, I'm not really sure if it's common in Malay. I'll have to ask my Malay friend first! Then maybe I'll update this afterwards~

update: Yeah you can use "Silakan" :D

gatot

Postby gatot » 2017-10-10, 10:56

Maybe you can use, "ya silahkan"
Or
"Ya boleh"
:D

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”