Indonesian or Malaysian Song?

Moderator:atalarikt

vema123
Indonesian or Malaysian Song?

Postby vema123 » 2012-06-25, 14:01

I've heard that the Indonesian song titled "Rasa Sayange" which originally comes from Maluku has been claimed by the Malaysian government that the song is theirs. And they even has the Malay version! So which one is correct? I have heard both songs, and though many people that Bahasa Malaysia is similar to Bahasa Indonesia, I can hardly understand the Malay version of the song.

The song is not only popular in Maluku province, but some tour guides I happened to meet during my visit to Bandung also informed me that it is not only the song which was claimed by Malaysia, but many more, including one of the Balinese dances. So, is it true?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Indonesian or Malaysian Song?

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-07-16, 17:36

I don't know. It looks like there's been quite a bit of controversy over this song. Wikipedia (currently) claims that it uses the pantun form and that pantun is a type of traditional Malay poetry form that is unknown to the Maluku Islands, as is "the standard Malay language itself." It seems that at least some Indonesians (including the governor of Maluku) claim it's a song from Maluku, while the Malaysian government claims that it belongs to both Malaysians and Indonesians.

Moraczewski

Postby Moraczewski » 2015-06-07, 16:45

I don't want to create another thread for the same kind of question. Could you please assist in recognizing the language of this song? The song was produced in Germany by Moroccan-born Rachid Nouri but no further information is availiable. The nationality of the singer is unknown, her name is Jasmin Kiesel and most likely she lives in Germany. The song is very popular in Russia. There have been many suggestions about the language, recently someone said it might be Indonesian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtAnsDJS_jQ

DannyAlex

Postby DannyAlex » 2015-08-04, 6:40

Based from what I listened, I can't say that that song is either Malaysian or Indonesian because I do not know the singer. But the song mentioned is using Malay language. But bear in mind, the Malay language I mentioned here is the Malay that is used mainly in Malaysian Peninsular, Singapore and some parts of Sumatra, Indonesia. Why I said it is sang in Malay, because of this part:

"Di mana kata-kata manis cinta"

She pronounced "di mana" as "dee-mah-ner", not "dee-mah-nar". The first one is the way of pronunciation of that phrase in Malay language in the countries mentioned.

I can't recognize the other language used in that song. It sounds like Southern Indian languages to me.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-24, 3:31

DannyAlex wrote:I can't recognize the other language used in that song. It sounds like Southern Indian languages to me.

I agree. The part that isn't in Malay sounds like either Kannada or Telugu to me. Maybe it's in Kannada.

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”