a to e pepet in Jakarta Indonesian

Moderator:atalarikt

krix
a to e pepet in Jakarta Indonesian

Postby krix » 2009-02-18, 19:47

Hi all,

I would like to submit to your scrutiny a list of words said to undergo the a-to-schwa-change in Jakarta Indonesian.

Just a little bit of background info:

it is well known that a number of words change an /a/ to /ə/ (e pepet) in their last, closed syllable. For instance teman becomes temen. This is NOT to be confused with the change of final /a/ to /e/ (e benar/taling, not pepet), which is haracteristic of the Jakartan Betawi dialect, such as saja to ajé etc.

So here's the list (and even though the opening paragraph is in German, the list is annotated completely in English, so there should be no language barriers ;) ) I'd be happy to hear from anybody familiar with Jakarta Indonesian about errors and omissions. The list as it is, is based on words culled from the appendix to John N. Sneddon's (2006) "Colloquial Jakarta Indonesian". Also, this list does not mean that these words appear in that shape all the time, of course. A lot of mixing does occur, especially when registers change between formal and less formal modes of speech...

Oh and please feel free to leave your comments here or there, I'll be sure to incorporate them on my blog.

Thanks,

Kris

0stsee

Re: a to e pepet in Jakarta Indonesian

Postby 0stsee » 2009-02-20, 3:09

Hi Kris!!

Nice list!

I personally agree with those except:

enam
kayak (final -K not pronounced)
kejar (just a personal preference, there's people who say "kejer")

Good work! Salut!

Mark
Ini tandatanganku.

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2009-02-20, 3:10

There's also

asam => asem
=sour
Ini tandatanganku.

krix

Postby krix » 2009-03-13, 20:36

Hi Mark,

thanks for your comments. There seem to be some interpersonal differences, a friend from Jakarta agreed with each word on the list based on CJI. I will be updating the list continuously based on the suggestions I get.

Thanks

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”